razer

Anyone getting bored of this headphone obsession?

My phone has been programmed not to ring unless a call is transferred to me...you think think I have a choice if I were to keep my job? :no:

Ok Bro, I was thinking its during your off time. A job is a job. Just maybe you should change your headphones to one that can take calls.

I can sympathise with your "condition", wait until you get a family.... :P

He's at work so he has to watch the phone, unless he wants to get an unfriendly letter from his boss.

I already have a family. My son's room was my hifi room, so my system is now in living room sharing space with AV system...meaning I can't play when someone is playing wii games, watching starhub tv or when I'm home too late...

I already have a family. My son's room was my hifi room, so my system is now in living room sharing space with AV system...meaning I can't play when someone is playing wii games, watching starhub tv or when I'm home too late...

For myself, I also want to play my speakers, but I get home late or i'm out of the country, so i designate the weekends for that activity and it seems to make me appreciate it better, as for daily use even at work during breaks, I use headphones full-size or IEMs, and they go with me while i'm overseas too. So Bro, don't despair, try getting a more portable headphone, if you can wait for the Phillips Fidelio L1, check the youtube, they are my next target.

For myself, I also want to play my speakers, but I get home late or i'm out of the country, so i designate the weekends for that activity and it seems to make me appreciate it better, as for daily use even at work during breaks, I use headphones full-size or IEMs, and they go with me while i'm overseas too. So Bro, don't despair, try getting a more portable headphone, if you can wait for the Phillips Fidelio L1, check the youtube, they are my next target.

Yeah, portable rig, sit outside if you can. It's not easy to do for many apartment dwellers. I had kids for 2 years, and I don't remember anything from that time except watching TV and running to our favorite hamburger stand.

Yeah, portable rig, sit outside if you can. It's not easy to do for many apartment dwellers. I had kids for 2 years, and I don't remember anything from that time except watching TV and running to our favorite hamburger stand.

I'm trying to help relive his enthusiasm for music appreciation, kids nowadays will not bother much as they are constantly glued to the PC, PS3, Xbox360 or the TV, food is served and eaten in front of the TV, lol

I'm trying to help relive his enthusiasm for music appreciation, kids nowadays will not bother much as they are constantly glued to the PC, PS3, Xbox360 or the TV, food is served and eaten in front of the TV, lol

For sure. We had a permanently reserved parking space just for the pizza delivery guy.

where got time :angry::angry::angry:

Before I got the new DT-48A, I did feel like I had a good amount of time to listen, but now I feel like I'm very short on time, because I'm staying up until 4 am every day listening to this fabulous headphone and don't want to go to bed. :rclxub:

Before I got the new DT-48A, I did feel like I had a good amount of time to listen, but now I feel like I'm very short on time, because I'm staying up until 4 am every day listening to this fabulous headphone and don't want to go to bed. :rclxub:

LOL, Same here with me Dale, 2 nights straight already since i put the new ear pads on the DT48A. Pure poison.

It gets worse when I listen to Southern Point, almost feel like going in a spin, so much details so little time, brain working overtime... :rclxub:

I waited for the HD800, thinking the very open soundstage with the warmth of a decent tube amp will get me nearer to my Harbeth...good as it is, I still prefer to listen to my speaker system.

I waited for the HD800, thinking the very open soundstage with the warmth of a decent tube amp will get me nearer to my Harbeth...good as it is, I still prefer to listen to my speaker system.

The interesting thing about the HD-800 is that several people I know who own it don't use it much (including me), and nobody seems to know why. It sounds great and has a very good test record, but after using it awhile I gravitate toward other headphones. Currently I have the Shure 940, which sounds like the HD-800, and I don't use the Shure 940 much either. I also have the Beyer DT-48A and Grado PS-500, both very excellent headphones, and I use those a lot.

The interesting thing about the HD-800 is that several people I know who own it don't use it much (including me), and nobody seems to know why. It sounds great and has a very good test record, but after using it awhile I gravitate toward other headphones. Currently I have the Shure 940, which sounds like the HD-800, and I don't use the Shure 940 much either. I also have the Beyer DT-48A and Grado PS-500, both very excellent headphones, and I use those a lot.

With that being said about the HD800, the best kept secrets are kept at the Beyer and Grado house and those who appreciate them, All I can add is that the best headphones do not come with a huge price tag as most "Audiophiles" tend to think.

I'm actually referring more to a preference for speaker over headphone system.

Beyond personal preference, sometimes good phones or speakers can sound mediocre due to system mismatch.

I'm actually referring more to a preference for speaker over headphone system.

Beyond personal preference, sometimes good phones or speakers can sound mediocre due to system mismatch.

I always preferred speakers over headphones, until I found out what really deep bass sounds like. Lots of people have misperceptions about deep bass. If you've ever been in one of those large churches like Riverside in New York etc., and the organist plays a 20 hz tone with the 32 ft. pipe, that's deep bass, and it feels like the Earth is moving. You can't get that in the house unless you have speakers that can reproduce that tone with sufficient power (very few can), but most important, if you don't have at least a 25 foot dimension in the room and no large open doors or windows, plus very rigid walls, you won't get it anyway.

So when I found out how much that was going to cost me (about $100,000 USD), I gave up and got headphones that could reproduce that tone, for less than 1/100 the money.

That's a very good observation too, about system mismatches.

I always preferred speakers over headphones, until I found out what really deep bass sounds like. Lots of people have misperceptions about deep bass. If you've ever been in one of those large churches like Riverside in New York etc., and the organist plays a 20 hz tone with the 32 ft. pipe, that's deep bass, and it feels like the Earth is moving. You can't get that in the house unless you have speakers that can reproduce that tone with sufficient power (very few can), but most important, if you don't have at least a 25 foot dimension in the room and no large open doors or windows, plus very rigid walls, you won't get it anyway.

So when I found out how much that was going to cost me (about $100,000 USD), I gave up and got headphones that could reproduce that tone, for less than 1/100 the money.

That's a very good observation too, about system mismatches.

I know what you mean.

I listen mainly to acoustic jazz, chamber and vocals, so reproducing the mid range realistically is most important for me; hence my choice of Harbeth speakers. Anyway, as you pointed out, the cost of reproducing full range accurately will be insane for most.