razer

Anyone getting bored of this headphone obsession?

Well, just my 2 cents, I too feel that audio isn't a hard hobby since spending money and lots of it is mostly what's required. I suppose 'skill' is needed to appreciate the money spent. That's why cycling, jumping, breaking bike and bones and (soon to be riding/speeding) makes life a hell lot more meaningful.

Edited by nofing

I hope I am bored with it so that I can use the money to improve my quality of life.

But the thing is, alot of people feel that spending money on them improves thier quality of life... :sweat: At least for me it did when i was crazy about it....I can come home, take a hot shower and sit in front of my comp, turn on the air con and relax to soothing music played from speakers...That's some quality lifestyle....... :lol:

Or say, chill in my living room and see the singapore flyer with its array of lights while listening to jazz....

When one is obsessed with anything (be it hobbies, woman, gambling and etc), all expendable money will be poured there and there is no such thing such as extra money. :D It is trying to quench an unsatisfiable thirst by dumping money in a black hole. :D To me that is my definition of obsession, you might have a different definition. But the sort of obsession I am talking about wouldn't do anyone good.

But if you can buy something and enjoy it and be satisfied with it, by all means. This I would consider an improvement to quality of life. :)

Bored with headphone obsession hmm... I guess that depends how you see it. For me I will be bored now and then but once in a while when I pick up a new song to listen to, it reminds me of what if I didnt spend money into such equipment. Will I enjoy it as much? To me audio improves my quality of life and enjoyment as such its pretty much worth as long as I dont go overbored.

Bored with headphone obsession hmm... I guess that depends how you see it. For me I will be bored now and then but once in a while when I pick up a new song to listen to, it reminds me of what if I didnt spend money into such equipment. Will I enjoy it as much? To me audio improves my quality of life and enjoyment as such its pretty much worth as long as I dont go overbored.

But the thing is, I'm picking up new songs are rediscovering musical enjoyment through my speakers as I talk..... :D Coz my speakers are connected and it takes little effort to flick on the two switchs on the 2 modules to get music pumping instead of reaching out into the dry box, opening up cases and taking out headphones and amps and plug convertors....And yeah, the cable running all over the floor....

But the thing is, I'm picking up new songs are rediscovering musical enjoyment through my speakers as I talk..... :D Coz my speakers are connected and it takes little effort to flick on the two switchs on the 2 modules to get music pumping instead of reaching out into the dry box, opening up cases and taking out headphones and amps and plug convertors....And yeah, the cable running all over the floor....

i have that feeling too, just too lazy to take the phones out of the box and blah blah. much easier with speakers. On main switch, press button, put in cd and press button.

OT abit, u actually put ur phones into drybox?

Well, I guess it's where the heart is. I love music (serious music), I am a perfectionists when it comes to sound quality and I think I dare say I have good ears. Hence, this particular obsession has lasted since secondary school. It hasn't wane since.

Yeah I know the feeling of being lazy and running it through the speakers. My stello acts as a preamp as such if I dont feel like using headphones (which requires me to move and get them followed by plugging it into the amp and tweaking the volume) I just flip the switch for my speakers up lol. But really sometime a headphone still beat speakers and I always use them if I am looking for some good old entertainment ^^

Yeah I know the feeling of being lazy and running it through the speakers. My stello acts as a preamp as such if I dont feel like using headphones (which requires me to move and get them followed by plugging it into the amp and tweaking the volume) I just flip the switch for my speakers up lol. But really sometime a headphone still beat speakers and I always use them if I am looking for some good old entertainment ^^

Yeah, I think speakers and headphones are two complementary systems. Two different experiences. It takes a lot more expenses to achieve the sound quality level from a speaker-system to that of a headphone-system. Whereas the former gives you a sound source infront of you (daresay a 'physical' soundstage), the latter often places it between your head(or your ears if you have two. Hahaha!). The 'in-your-head' sound experience is what many people find unsatisfactory. However, this also gives an intimate and 'right-in-the-performance' experience that is very satisfying and unique, especially for voices and small essembles. In my experience, if you can find a good synergy in the source-amp-headphone combination, one can experience a good soundstage as well. I find an all-tube combination synergy best in this respect. Oh...again the old obsession...where is that heavenly sound? :))

i have that feeling too, just too lazy to take the phones out of the box and blah blah. much easier with speakers. On main switch, press button, put in cd and press button.

OT abit, u actually put ur phones into drybox?

Yeah, because I stay beside the sea so salt content in the air is high so is humidty especially when i open the windows to view the ships then wind blows like crazy and i'm afraid of the headphone plug tips get oxidised...Cause its a chore to clean them. So yeah, i keep them in a dry box...

Well, I beg to differ. I think it is hard to replicate the soundstage of an open stereo system with proper speakers. Its the way sound travels through more air before reaching your ears and the sheer positioning of the speakers on a wider space that makes the difference. I don't think you can replicate that on headphones and a cool set of amps.

That being said, there is still a place for headphones. For me its when I listen to some piece that people around (wife and 3 daughters) will squeal and squirm because it is too discordant for their tastes. (Like something from Shostakovich). I listen with impunity and really get the most out of it.

Or, its great listening at work when I need that creative boost or to get through that mundane routine piece of admin work.

I thought I am not ever going to get bored with my headphone setup but after listening to a set of dynaudio contour bookshelf speakers and some MTM transmission line floorstanding speakers at my friend's friend's place last sat, I am growing more and more dissatisfied with my headphone setup every minute. There is simply only this much that a headphone setup can give you. Sigh....

I just started getting into this, not really obsessed unlike when i was into bowling...

I got too obsessed with bowling, then exams tore me away from it.

Best thing tt ever happened to me, now i stay away from bowling.

I afraid tt if i bowl i'll get addicted again...

Oh ya, for those getting sick of their headphone obsession can sell me a good amp cheap cheap or give free even better :grin:

Heh heh heh...

Cos i'm a poor student, can't afford amp anytime soon.