razer

Anyone getting bored of this headphone obsession?

I thought I am not ever going to get bored with my headphone setup but after listening to a set of dynaudio contour bookshelf speakers and some MTM transmission line floorstanding speakers at my friend's friend's place last sat, I am growing more and more dissatisfied with my headphone setup every minute. There is simply only this much that a headphone setup can give you. Sigh....

HaHaHa! Sounds familiar to all audiophiles. A case of deja vu? I think one should have both set-ups for variety sake. Just when one gets tired of chasing one's tail one way, it is time to chase it the other way. :grin:

maybe, before hifi i was addicted to photography, last year was quite busy with studies and stuff, and picked up this new hobby

Well, depending on personal finances i guess. One need to put a stop somewhere, or it would be a wild goose's chase. At the end of the day, spending time with family is still the most fulfilling activity i had ever have.

Lol, heady, regarding the interconnects, thats why i push for DIY. I do find there are differences between different quality wires, but the gains decrease at an exponential rate while their cost increase at an exponential rate. Guess the important thing is to find the balance between them. And DIYing makes the whole hobby more fun!

Edited by Morgan Wu

bored? never...i can't live without music. I couble be a zombie then haha... I used to own a proper set up, due to time spent with family & works, less time to sit down for Hi-Fi, but picked up ipod instead. later discovered headphones and it replaced my home setup automatically.

It should never be about how the highs, lows, mids and the soundstaging is like.

it should be how happy you feel when you are listening. which is a combination of you enjoying your favourite music AND having enough gear :))

Saying which, pretty hapy with my present setup(oh yes, i make it a point never to own more than 1 pair of cans/amp/source/cable) at any one time. Looking for upgrades, but not obsessed with it, and i am definitely not losing sleep over the fact that i can afford but cant justify a pair of MS2i :))

Guest jacj6049

It should never be about how the highs, lows, mids and the soundstaging is like.

it should be how happy you feel when you are listening. which is a combination of you enjoying your favourite music AND having enough gear :))

Saying which, pretty hapy with my present setup(oh yes, i make it a point never to own more than 1 pair of cans/amp/source/cable) at any one time. Looking for upgrades, but not obsessed with it, and i am definitely not losing sleep over the fact that i can afford but cant justify a pair of MS2i :))

agree

Guest dragonboy

Most who have good enough headphones/earphones will have good home system. But home system requires good room acoustics, space, no children running around and cannot affect the wife and chidren watching tv :cry: .... unless you have a dedicated room to house your toys. And that's provided the room size can accommodate your speakers. Most big speakers don't sound at its optimum in a small HDB room. That's when I started to collect headphones .... at least I can start to have different headphones for diff genres of music but I can't afford the space if it's speakers.

Though earphones generally don't sound as good as headphones on similar price, I still love good earphones for their portability, isolation and they don't generate heat on my ears. :cans:

getting bored too ... wanna to sell few of my headphones

Is that why you made so many "wu liao" posts with just a phrase? :bash:

The title should be changed to "Anyone getting bored of this audio obession?"

Lol, so many comparing speakers vs headphone..

Anyway, in the past, when playing with portable, there are various stops where I seriously was like, I paid so much just for this ipod strapped to an amp with caps ?

Stepped into desktop, and with my current budget rig, x-mini max II w budget Koda Subwoofer, "quite mid fi" headphone rig", its totally pwning my portable rig.

So I am in the process of clearing my portable audio, leaving to iphone + customs.

So just "converting" the money that I spend into portable, and use them to upgrade my desktop rig :P

But nope.. I don't get tire listening to my music.. they just sound so... good o.o

As if I can part with them xD

I am using akg k702w BD cable, with a soundstage that many says is fake, but sure it doesn't provide me with the "In the head" sound, which many deem as the problem in headphones.

This is how I categorise them.

IEM- Meant for on the go, super ibud, isolation

Speakers- Relaxing, Sharing music with many, soundstage

Headphone- Critical listening, meant at home when you cant disturb others.

And, I am quite against listening to portable headphones, why use headphone for portable when it cant isolate you from singapore's bus/train's NOISE !?!?!? And, why restrict yourself by using it at home when you have full size headphone ?!

IEM for outdoor, full size headphone for home, speakers for home, Period.

Gonna do some mass sales this weekend.. cant wait to hear the improvement in my music... gosh !!

Edited by :: Chicky ::