Azhar

MP3 player recommendations?

Thread title says it all, I listen to alot of trance and some slow rock. My budget is about $300max, any recommendations? Heard cowon is awesome and I don't wanna get anything from Apple since their products seems to be overpriced so yea, thanks in advanced.

Edited by Azhar

best deal around currently is the 16gb cowon d2 from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Cowon-Portable-Multi...14495980&sr=8-1

310sgd + 21sgd (vpost home) = 331sgd

a steal for a top notch player capable of playing back FLAC natively, 52hr batt life, 37mw per channel of built-in amp power (no more external amp needed) and infinitely expandable memory bay.

add a superfast Class 6 Transcend 16gb SDHC for only 115sgd w/free card reader, and u have a total of 32gb of pure sonic bliss on tap. no more noisy or fragile HDD.

5th gen 30gb ipod refurb going for 238sgd.

http://store.apple.com/1800-MY-APPLE/WebOb...?nplm=FA444ZP/A

not as good sounding as cowon and can be improved by external amping and thus raising your cost and bulkiness in portability. but some can't live without the itunes software and interface and thus stuck with ipod. only 14hr batt life. no mem expandability.

Edited by sghound

hmm..if u r planin to use a portable amp..u will hav to look out for players that have a lineout such as creative zen m player since u dn wan an apple..otherwise look into cowon, sony or samsung..decent enough products..pls note the format of music support for diff players.

i never liked the ipod (harddisk) until the ipod classic. its a real improvement in terms of thickness... the 80gb ipod classic is thinner than the 30gb 5.5gen ipod. its truely "pocketable" 80gb thats doesnt bulge your pockets like other thick mp3 players. Though if youre planning to only use it from a bag or waistpouch this doesnt matter as much i guess.

although the 5.5 (or 5th gen?) gen does have a wolfson chip i think and may have better sound quality, to me the current ipod sounds pretty good. far better than the 4th gen (which i sold straight away, sounded significantly worse than the cowon X5L then).

For flash players there may be other better options than apple unless size (or looks maybe) is ur first priority. If you dont have 80gb of songs or dont want to bring them all around with you flash is a good option nowadays, especially since the storage capacities are much bigger nowadays.

The cowon D2 looks like a really good deal. But i'm waiting for the 16GB 3g iphone to hit sg in september. Then i'll have a phone and mp3 player in one device, one less thing to bring out. and theres wifi + email on the go + web browser + document viewer + pda + many other applications... whats more its only around 399 with plan i think. 8gb is only 270.

Edited by windrider

But i'm waiting for the 16GB 3g iphone to hit sg in september. Then i'll have a phone and mp3 player in one device, one less thing to bring out. and theres wifi + email on the go + web browser + document viewer + pda + many other applications... whats more its only around 399 with plan i think. 8gb is only 270.

was looking at that beautiful interface too but several things made me bulk. first, the deal is totally dumb when u gotta be tied down with 1 provider. second, it's 3G when others are on 3.5G HSPDA broadband speeds last year? 3rd, the pathetic batt life. fourth, 2nd gen is made of plastic when 1st gen metal? 5th, is the DAC a samsung? 6th, can't keep more than 50 sms/emails before it starts lagging. lastly, did i mention the hopeless 5hr batt life?

convergence is still overrated. hence sticking to a dedicated player with stonking sound makes sense. for now.

Edited by sghound

Isnt 5 hour batt life the talk-time batt life? Audio playback time is easily 10+ hours i think? shouldnt be a problem if you charge everyday.

provider wise i'm on singtel already anyway so doesnt really matter.

I prefer the plastic design (because i like black)

3g, 3.5g doesnt reaaally matter to me. I'm more interested in the phone + mp3 features than really intending to use it as a full blown pda/handheld pc. but the features are there and are pretty usable imo. as for sms/email lag, well i have to see how bad that is for myself...

In the end diff ppl look for diff things in a device... well the 3g iphone matches my needs, maybe not yours...

nevertheless i think 270sgd is extremely cheap entry point price for a 8GB smart phone with a full os and some real features, especially in the sg market where smart phones are easily more than 500 dollars, some even hitting 1000 with plan. Its a revolution as far as pricing is concerned at least... surely the other manufacturers will be forced to offer better deals after the 3g iphone is released.

hmm..if u r planin to use a portable amp..u will hav to look out for players that have a lineout such as creative zen m player since u dn wan an apple..otherwise look into cowon, sony or samsung..decent enough products..pls note the format of music support for diff players.

actually i dont really think this is a deal breaking problem as you can get the idock at jaben for 25 dollars that allows you to have a line out output. its small in size too.

It is an extra cost, but this shouldnt be a deal breaker if say you really want an ipod.

Edited by windrider

Isnt 5 hour batt life the talk-time batt life? Audio playback time is easily 10+ hours i think? shouldnt be a problem if you charge everyday.

yeah 5hr is talktime, but u use it as a convergence combo, it becomes worse and u gotta half that 5hr and half that 10hr. we might have to charge twice a day.

price to pay for an unbeatable interface.

are singtel apps gonna be free?

Edited by sghound

to me its ok cos i dont talk anywhere near 5 hours on the phone a day... i'm a smser.

Singtel apps? from what i know theres going to be an online apple iphone app store, some will be free and some wont i think.

I am from the Philippines and considering that we don't have much landlines here, we have depend more on the 3G technology and we have been using the 3G technology here for the past 3 years.

The Iphone will be coming out either on July or September just like in your place and it will be provided by Globe Telecom(whereas in your country, it will be provided by Singtel). 3G is a godsend in my place. You'll be very surprised that there are a lot of places here in my country that still don't have internet access. I am writing this message thru a 3G internet subscription with a speed of 2.5Mbps(under Globe and provided that there is a 3G signal. If not, you'll be going on dial-up speed(52kbps). So lambat!)

It woulds be nice to have a gadget that has multi-purpose functions. Am also looking forward to it! :-)

How bad is iPod? In particular the HD ones. 2 aspects; sound quality and durability. Anyone with input.

I use a D2 Boa amp and have SR80 earphones.

I think iPod in terms of sound quality is not quite among the top 3 or 4 of the list, but would that matter so much with an amp?

Reason I'm asking is because there are fewer and fewer HD players nowadays.

SQ of ipod classic isnt bad at all imo. And it has alot of power too, can even drive my hd600 to loud volumes. Durability is great; i've dropped it countless times now and theres no problems at all so far.

I think there are lots of alternatives for flash mp3 players other than apple, but its hard to beat the ipod classic for a great hdd mp3 player i think. Especially if youre going to put it in your pocket: its slim and doesnt bulge like most other hdd players out there.