Sign in to follow this  
kongee

Ultimate Classical Test CDs

Calling all classical music fanatics, what would you name as the best test CD(s) or track of the classical genre? I'm speaking mostly in terms of on the headphone.

Mozart, Requiem

Tchaikovski, Violin concerto in D major D35

Howard Shore, Lord of the Rings 1,2 and 3

Bach, Goldberg variations by Glenn Gould

Edited by Singapura

Mozart, Requiem

Tchaikovski, Violin concerto in D major D35

Howard Shore, Lord of the Rings 1,2 and 3

Bach, Goldberg variations by Glenn Gould

Too many good music really!

I agree Howard Shore LOTR cds are good, sonically and as an original composition.

Also, try Richard Strauss "Four Last Songs' by Jessye Norman, Gewandhaus-Orchester Leipzip conducted by Kurt Masur, under Philips label.

regards, iggyting

Thanks!

Any thoughts about Hiliary Hahn's Bach Concertos? Anyone tried it before.

Surprisingly I have yet to listen to her long enough though she is well regarded. I spent about 5 minutes listening to her Brahm's violin concerto in a cd shop. She was a teen then? Anyway, enough to recognise her technically accomplished and crisp delivery. Maybe someone can better presents her.

I feel 'serious music' should encompass all sorts of music which move 'the pysche and soul'. In this regard I would consider jazz, folks and ethnical music in this category. Jazz was a unique Black American experience as the sitar was Indian. Maybe someone would like to give a thought here. For some examples I would find Nina Simone's redition of 'House of the Rising Sun' and Eva Cassidy's 'Autumn Leaves' particularly moving and 'serious'.

Yeah, yeah, "serious music" does transcend the cliche definition of "classical music". I think any music that goes beyond just trying to be predominantly "popular" can be taken as "serious music". Music that is composed or performed to a level of being an artform where it is an intellectual and creative expression of someone that has spent his/her life perfecting the artform is serious.

By that, yeah, Jazz would fall into that category.

I'm listening to Herbie Hancock's "River" album. This is art!

Edited by kongee

Too many good music really!

I agree Howard Shore LOTR cds are good, sonically and as an original composition.

Also, try Richard Strauss "Four Last Songs' by Jessye Norman, Gewandhaus-Orchester Leipzip conducted by Kurt Masur, under Philips label.

regards, iggyting

You referring to this CD?

IPB Image

Her playing is pretty good, but a little on the fast side compared to other recordings.

Regards

CK

Yes, agree, faster, which was what caught my attention at first because while they did it faster the precision was amazingly in tact. Hahn has this fantastically precise tone ability that Bach just sounds so good when she does it.

Audiophile-wise, I find the sound of the immersiveness of the orchestra sounds gives it dimension is is good for testing.