lypk

DAC+AMP Recommendations

As above, but for my laptop and a DT880 (250 ohms)..

I went to test out the Go-Vibe and Go-Vibe Magnum yesterday, expecting the kind of sound quality I get from listening to music in Gramophone (kind of far fetched, but I was expecting something similar, given that the phones they use are entry lvl, and the amps don't look like expensive ones), and I just didn't feel the 'wow' factor when listening to my songs.. soundstaging wasn't as big as I expected, the songs weren't really crystal clear sounding, and all I could really feel improved vs my laptop soundcard was smoother vocals, instruments, better seperation, less coloured, and just easy on the ear. I'm not sure whether I was expecting too much, or is it just because the pairing of the dac/amp and headphones weren't that great.

So can anyone recommend something that pairs well with the dt880? I prefer instrumentals+vocals, jazzy/acoustic/easy listening/slow rock type of songs, with more emphasis on clarity of vocals, somewhat larger soundstaging (but more emphasis on instrumental seperation), and a more natural sound signature.

I'm new to amps and dacs, so I guess I got kinda carried away just reading off comments instead of going around trying them.. :innocent:

portable amps probably wont drive dt880s anywhere near perfection given their high impedance...

I'd say try them with tube amps like darkvoice 332, earmax pro, little dot MK IV or MKIII

I'm awaiting my Pico but has a DT880 that i don't expect to work well with it; even if the Pico can drive it, I'm not too sure if the 880 can take well to typical SS sound. Even if my former triode amp, it sounds beautifully neutral.

As above, but for my laptop and a DT880 (250 ohms)..

I went to test out the Go-Vibe and Go-Vibe Magnum yesterday, expecting the kind of sound quality I get from listening to music in Gramophone (kind of far fetched, but I was expecting something similar, given that the phones they use are entry lvl, and the amps don't look like expensive ones), and I just didn't feel the 'wow' factor when listening to my songs.. soundstaging wasn't as big as I expected, the songs weren't really crystal clear sounding, and all I could really feel improved vs my laptop soundcard was smoother vocals, instruments, better seperation, less coloured, and just easy on the ear. I'm not sure whether I was expecting too much, or is it just because the pairing of the dac/amp and headphones weren't that great.

So can anyone recommend something that pairs well with the dt880? I prefer instrumentals+vocals, jazzy/acoustic/easy listening/slow rock type of songs, with more emphasis on clarity of vocals, somewhat larger soundstaging (but more emphasis on instrumental seperation), and a more natural sound signature.

I'm new to amps and dacs, so I guess I got kinda carried away just reading off comments instead of going around trying them.. :innocent:

gonna suggest a tube amp to pair with the 880, it'll give a lovely balance to your preferred music genres. and maybe wow you along the way. what's your budget?

portable amps probably wont drive dt880s anywhere near perfection given their high impedance...

I'd say try them with tube amps like darkvoice 332, earmax pro, little dot MK IV or MKIII

Ok, will give them an audition.. :yes:

gonna suggest a tube amp to pair with the 880, it'll give a lovely balance to your preferred music genres. and maybe wow you along the way. what's your budget?

My budget isn't alot actually, but if I can get the feel I want, I'll definitely be willing to fork out a little more.

Problem is, I'll be using it with my laptop often, so I guess I'll need a DAC to go along with the amp?

X-CAN v3!

I think its still available new at Alpha Audio.

I've heard about them, but not auditioned them yet :P

Ok, will give them an audition.. :yes:

My budget isn't alot actually, but if I can get the feel I want, I'll definitely be willing to fork out a little more.

Problem is, I'll be using it with my laptop often, so I guess I'll need a DAC to go along with the amp?

I've heard about them, but not auditioned them yet :P

After a lot of futile consideration, I ordered a Practical devices XM-5. I have a Microshar 107B that drives my AKG K240S pretty well, but, like you, I wanted a DAC to use with my laptop.

The Ibasso BOA is priced better, but the opamps are soldered in, and I have had little success looking for the Viper w/ sockets. PD included a sample AD8397 op-amp, and swapped the cable for the charger/battery, so I went for it. It has a lot of features that others don't have...many I'll probably not use. AND... they have a 30 day trial period :yes:

Guest dragonboy

You'll need to state your budget. The earmax had very good synergy with the hd650 at 300ohms and also the ultrasone ed9. It didn't really perform well with the akg701..... at least not like what I've heard with the Class A higher fidelity amp. Why not try your beyer 880 with the earmax? It's all in the synergy.

After a lot of futile consideration, I ordered a Practical devices XM-5. I have a Microshar 107B that drives my AKG K240S pretty well, but, like you, I wanted a DAC to use with my laptop.

The Ibasso BOA is priced better, but the opamps are soldered in, and I have had little success looking for the Viper w/ sockets. PD included a sample AD8397 op-amp, and swapped the cable for the charger/battery, so I went for it. It has a lot of features that others don't have...many I'll probably not use. AND... they have a 30 day trial period :yes:

The reason you had problems looking for the viper is because it's all in Singapore. ;)