Sign in to follow this  
Audioflux

Audio Setups

Hi

I am a super newbie to this audio thing...

Am thinking of gettting a setup for my room but i do not know what brand and where to buy?

Can you advice me on where to buy these items please..

1) Turntable

2) Speakers

3) Tube Amps

What is your budget? You need to include speaker cables, interconnect and maybe power cords and power conditioner. The Adelphi is the place to go to purchase all Hifi stuffs...

Sorry am not very sure abt the budget.

What are the range like for entry to mid range turnables, speakers and amp?

Do i need to get a headphone amp for my headphone? What brands are gd? I have a grado 125 given to me. Do i still need a amp?

I dont mind spending a few Ks.

Please advice please..

i think it depends on your taste. personally, i prefer the more 'digital' sound of cds but i know of plenty others who are addicted to LPs as well.

try visiting stereophile to see reviews of audio equipment. search our local hifi forums for advice and local item favourites.

to start you off, heres a few links that provide quite a bit of setting up your first hifi.

check out the beginners/second guide here at

http://www.listeninn.com/Website/7th%20GUIDE%201.htm

for audio tips/speaker placements

http://www.zenn.com.sg/Tips.htm

for 2nd hand items (make sure you know what you're buying to avoid getting ripped off)

http://www.echoloft.com

Well i did around 10k but am still looking around for the best setup for a small room. Just dont know which brand is gd cos everyones says their brand is better.

Am looking at the primaluna amp now. is this brand good?

You should really go to Adelphi and check out the stuff there. Also, the people there would be better equipped to help you with your audio purchases.

Well i did around 10k but am still looking around for the best setup for a small room. Just dont know which brand is gd cos everyones says their brand is better.

Am looking at the primaluna amp now. is this brand good?

You have $10K as budget? Why prima luna? are you definitely going for a tube setup? I felt that tube amp is too hot my room. I meant the temperature/heat. so i switched back kto SS amp.

BTW, Grado is a easy load, u don't required a amp to drive.

there is a Hifi show this coming 24th, 25th, 26th Oct. you may want to survey which shop has the best setup.

shops that u must attend is Raindrop audio, Soundscape, ...

from there, u might have a idea what a 10K can you get..

Concurrently, there is another DIY show at

Venue: The Republic Polytechnic Cultural Centre (Level 2 Music Studio 2)

Date: 25 Oct. 2008

Time: 10am to 6pm

i recommend a Lavardin IS for amplification. This is a quality amplifier; do not be fooled by the 30Watts output. These are quality output power that can drive speaker easily. BTW, only the first Watts is important to drive a speaker, as i am told. i am not into TT, so can't really comment. As for the speakers, U have have to listen to them yourself, as it's most subjective component.

Edited by dreaming

I can recommend the following setup which I used to own:

Cary CD-303/300

Cary SLI80

Vienna Acoustics Mozart

Kimber KS1030

Chang Light Speed CLS3300

However the Cary SLI 80 does not have a phone stage. You will need an external phone stage for your turn table. Without the CD player, the amp and the speaker should be within your budget, excluding cables and power conditioner.

For entry turntable, there is always the Technics 1200 series and the Thorens. Not too sure about the thorens, but i got my Technics new at about 1k. With budget carts(Grado Black and AT95), gives a pretty decent sound according to others.

For small rooms floorstanders, i remember i was really amazed by the performances of the Proac Tri-Tower driven by the Almarro during last year's ISSE. But then again, your preference might defer.

The coming ISSE should showcase some setups within ur budget.

Word of caution if u really going into vinyls. There arent many pop music out there in vinyls. Have a look on what music u intend to listen to and see which formats they are on.

Edited by rko

For entry turntable, there is always the Technics 1200 series and the Thorens. Not too sure about the thorens, but i got my Technics new at about 1k. With budget carts(Grado Black and AT95), gives a pretty decent sound according to others.

For small rooms floorstanders, i remember i was really amazed by the performances of the Proac Tri-Tower driven by the Almarro during last year's ISSE. But then again, your preference might defer.

The coming ISSE should showcase some setups within ur budget.

Word of caution if u really going into vinyls. There arent many pop music out there in vinyls. Have a look on what music u intend to listen to and see which formats they are on.

For those turntable: is a direct coupled turn table as in Technics 1200mk2 a good turntable a good choice?

I had thought of getting a 1200mk2 but those vinly lover had strong negative view against a direct coupled TT that is meant for DJ.

BTW, thoren is a pain to get it working properly as it is discussed, in contrast, Technics 1200 is plug n play

Edited by dreaming

Am not really into pop nor rock. Am more of a vocal person which is why am looking at tube amp for a warmer sound.

Thxs for the advice!! i will sure drop by for the hifi show.