Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Beyerdynamic DT860 (Edition 2007) Review

Here is the review of the DT860 which I wrote a while ago. Originally it was posted here but I decided to share it at these forums as well in case it wasn't as accessible on that review website. Hope it is of sufficiently high quality to be deemed worthy of these forums. It's pretty lengthy, the way I've always written reviews, but I hope you'll bear with me.

A Note to the Reader: Before we begin, please accept my sincere confession- I’m not an audiophile and have never claimed to be. However, I’ve attempted to familiarize myself with the terms that some audiophiles use so that I can better describe the characteristics of the DT860 in this review. In Oct 06 I purchased the Audio Technica ATH-CK7 earphones and it was my first foray into the world of high(er) quality audio. For almost two years it was the standard that I judged everything else by, partly because it was the only pair of ‘phones I had, and also because I was familiar with its signature after listening to it for some time. In this review, multiple comparisons may be made between the new DT860 and my old CK7.

The World of Sound

After working for several months my parents had been joking that I should start paying some rent, seeing that I was still living with them. So I made a promise to buy them our very first home theatre sound system. Neither of my parents knew very much about sound, so they left me (arguably the wrong person to look to) to do the research. Before long it was obvious that we had another problem on our hands: even if we were to buy a full sound system, we were going to have difficulty running the wires under the house and attaching the speakers to the wall. This idea went out the window very quickly.

Then one night my Mum brought the local magazine in and showed me a full-page advertisement for a number of Tivoli systems. They were expensive but looked fitting for our living room. I took this as a hint and bought her a Tivoli Model CD and radio Model Two. While at the store I auditioned the Denon D-M33S, a compact stereo system. The sound captivated me for the longest time after that. If my Mum wasn’t so dead set on the Tivoli, I would have bought her the Denon instead…cheaper, and I preferred the sound signature. I couldn’t forget my Dad either, so he got a drill set of equal value.

I was close to putting down the money for the Denon system after a few weeks of thinking, but ultimately I decided to get myself a pair of full-size headphones, for I could still carry these around with me and even use it on the plane. The search took me through a mind-boggling array of headphones from various manufacturers. A query at the local forum yielded some recommendations but unfortunately not an overwhelming response for any particular model. To cut the long story short, I did my own research and bought the Beyerdynamic DT-860 (Edition 2007).

First Impressions

The DT860 is a member of Beyerdynamic’s Premiumline headphones, manufactured in Germany for discerning audiophiles, and claimed to be of superior craftsmanship. The DT770, DT880 and DT990 are three classics held in high regard by those in the know, and it is this trio that perhaps made the Premiumline famous.

The other three models in this category are the DT440, DT 660 and DT860 but much less has been said about them. But for those who use portable devices, this shady trio might be hidden gems. They have an impedance of just 32 Ohms, making them easy to drive to high volumes even with a small MP3 player, hence conserving battery life. In comparison the DT770/ 880/ 990 have an impedance of 250 Ohms and would certainly benefit from the use of a portable amplifier.

The DT860 comes in its own foam-padded leather case with the Beyerdynamic name and logo and a carry handle. It is suitably padded on its sides but not on its front. Inside the package you will find:

- Beyerdynamic DT-860 headphones with 3 meter single-sided straight cable and gold-plated 3.5mm headphone jack with screw thread

- 6.35mm adapter with screw thread (for 3.5mm jack)

- guarantee certificate (two years from date of purchase)

- instructions for cleaning and replacement of ear pads

Picking up the DT860 for the first time, I was quite surprised at how large and weighty they were, making my CK7 look microscopic in comparison. That is to be expected of circumaural headphones however, because the ear cups need to be large enough to fit around the entire ear. The outside of the ear cup has a classy appearance with a chrome-plated periphery, and a black plastic grill in the center embossed with the model number ‘DT 860’.

For the observant ones, there are Braille markings on the appropriate ear cup that stand for 'L' and 'R', indicating the left or right side. These could be of help to the visually handicapped, enabling them to slip the headphones on correctly.

The DT860 is classed as ‘open-back’ headphones and this is plain to see, considering the sound driver within the ‘phones can be seen just past the black plastic grill.

The inside of each ear cup is characterized by a thick, plush circumaural ear pad and central foam pad (to cover the sound driver) that makes for a listening experience that is supremely comfortable. The ear pads seem almost breathable because my ears only feel slightly warm after extended periods of listening but never uncomfortably hot. If I had to nitpick, I’d wish for thicker ear pads so that the central foam did not touch my ears, but this would make the headphones ridiculously big and cumbersome. Both ear cups swivel 90 degrees allowing the ‘phones to be placed on a wall or picture hook, and they also fold into the headband for storage if necessary.

The headband is thick and feels durable. It is padded on the inside and is fully adjustable on both the left and right side. Precise and smooth adjustments can be made with audible clicks to every notch. Right out of the box the DT860 was a natural fit for my head, needing no adjustment at all. Headband pressure is rated at 2.5N which is less than that of the DT770/ 880/ 990 trio, and probably more comfortable. Nominal headband pressure means you won’t feel as though your head is being compressed laterally everytime you listen to music.

The DT860 has a straight, single-sided cable that exits from the left ear cup. It is pliable enough that it doesn’t spring around and get in your way or get tangled in objects by accident, and at 3 meters it is long enough to stretch to the CD player on the table behind me while I work on my computer at a separate workstation. It ends with a standard 3.5mm headphone jack that features screw threads, allowing it to gel precisely with the 6.35mm adapter included in the package.

Overall appearance is best described as ‘posh’ and in-tune with modern times. They look and feel expensive, which is a given considering their price. My first pair off Ebay was dead on arrival with the right side completely non-functional. It was a nervous few weeks before I got my replacement pair. This leaves me with a few question marks regarding its build quality but I am hoping that this was one of the rare lemons off the production line.

Sound Signature

When I listened to the CK7 almost two years ago I almost complained about it being ‘too bright’. Interestingly the shopkeeper himself thought otherwise, saying that perhaps my ears were more sensitive than his, which is a good thing. Nothing prepared me for the experience I was about to get with the DT860 because it made my old CK7 sound dark in comparison. If I had to describe the DT860 in a few words, these would be: bright, forward and warm with dry bass.

The DT860 renders treble in greater clarity than I was getting with the CK7 and a quick comparison with the same song and system was very revealing. What sounded like the cymbals of a drum now reveals itself as taps on a tambourine with the DT860. Separation of the various instruments is more convincing and there is increased detail in the sound.

When listening to some piano solos I can not only hear the note but also feel the strike of the key. It is the same feeling one would get when in close proximity as the hammer hits the string to create a sound. In saxophone segments of the song, I can still hear the musician’s breath at the mouthpiece even when it lacks the strength to create an actual note on the instrument.

Coupled with its strength in the highs is the warmth in the midrange, giving an impression of fullness of sound and smoothness. The sonic signature of the DT860 is forward or aggressive, with the voice of a singer feeling very close to the ear. In some recordings where the singer used to sound fairly distant, these ‘phones bring the listener closer for a more personal performance.

Another striking difference between the CK7 and the DT860 is the comparatively lean and dry bass in the latter. When stacked up against each other the bass of the CK7 sounds boomy and even muddy, whereas the DT860, although offering better base definition and extension, sounds rather thin. The bass attacks and fades rapidly, bounding like a rabbit, making for a lively listen, but those who dislike such tight bass may be better served with other headphones.

Soundstaging is wide and imaging is superb with the DT860. The soundstage itself seems to stretch slightly wider than 180 degrees, which is wider than the space between the left and right ear. The sound of individual instruments may manifest anywhere in this space depending on what song you listen to. The experience with vocal Jazz music is just phenomenal because of the articulate nature of these ‘phones.

The sound is not anywhere near ‘surround sound’ like what I experienced from the two speakers of the Denon mini hi-fi system I mentioned earlier, but this comparison is hardly fair. First, they are in different classes of audio equipment altogether, and the DT860 costs less than half of what the Denon did.

Conclusion

Echoing what I mentioned in my review of the CK7, the ‘best headphones in the world’ does not actually exist. An attempt to attain audio perfection is impossible because everybody listens to different kinds of music. Even within the same genre, everyone has a different idea of what constitutes the ‘perfect rendition’ of their music.

Personally, I would consider the DT860 to be one of the leading mid-priced, full-sized headphones for vocal Jazz because of the intelligibility it lends to the music. The wide soundstaging puts the listener in a lounge as it were, presenting him/ her with a lively, involving performance. Courtesy of the open-back and breathable design, the DT860 is comfortable on the ears for longer periods of listening without risking the buildup of undesirable amounts of bacteria in your ear canal.

However the open-back design is a double-edged sword. While it allows you to be more aware of your surroundings in case you take it to the street, it also leaks a lot more sound (may irritate your in-flight neighbor) than closed headphones, and external noises will prove more intrusive to your listening experience. To that end, the DT860 might seem to be a pair of ‘phones confined to home use. I’d rather look at the flip side and consider it to be good for those who like great quality audio anywhere while still being aware of the horn of an on-coming vehicle!

The DT860 experience has certainly taught me that there is a lot more than what I can currently hear, even in the music I frequently listen to. While the CK7 didn’t give me nearly as much detail, it was also 3-4 times cheaper and very much smaller. In the future, I could very well buy into something else that would trump the DT860 in performance. But at the moment, I’m really enjoying my music.

Final Notes

Devices used to audition the DT860

- Sony CMT-CP1

- Tivoli Model CD

- iRiver H320

- Sony NWZ-S618F

- Xtra X-1 Portable Amplifier

Music used to audition the DT860

- Steve Tyrell: A New Standard (Vocal Jazz)

- Various: Hi-Fi Room Presents Best Of (Vocal Jazz)

- Diana Krall: The Look of Love (Vocal Jazz)

- Gota: The Best of Gota (Acid Jazz)

- Keco Brandao: Delicate Touch of Bossa (Jazz/ Bossa Nova)

- Lisa Ono: Jambalaya (Bossa Nova)

- Acker Bilk & Strings: Stranger on the Shore (Instrumental- Clarinet)

- Various: Timbre of US $8,800,000 (Instrumental- Violin & Piano)

so wat is the price?

Back in the days when the Australian dollar was almost on par with the US dollar, I got it off Ebay at around US$240 or thereabouts. Of course the US dollar has strengthened significantly both against the Australian and Singapore dollar but the price has also come down a bit, not on Ebay necessarily but at least on Amazon. It looks like good value for money. Have a look at the website for the current price.

I can't say how much it would cost in Singapore since I didn't look it up there.