Sign in to follow this  
HerbalTurtle

About iPod modifications for better SQ and functions?

I currently have an iPod Video II gen 80G (should be 5.5 gen i think?), was planning to change to a new 120G IPC for a higher storage capacity and better operation interface, dun know how is the SQ of new IPC compared to my old one?

Recently looked up many threads in the forum and found many ppl talking about the modifying the iPod, Rockbox, iMod etc., generally just know this could improve SQ or add some other functions, but not too sure how these could be carried out, and how much it could improve the iPod's sound and what functions could add~

Also wonder how does the modified iPods compared to the new IPC 120G? :rclxub::rclxub::rclxub:

Hope fellas can teach me about it, coz really never heard of these modifications before, thanks~~ :cans:

I'm a SQ guy. always SQ come first... functions don't really care much -_- ....

if you are going to use amp + capacitors LOD and lossless files like FLAC with rockboxed + imod will be the winner :rclxms:

No amp - Rockboxed 5.5G Ipod has warmer sound and better SQ than original 5.5G.

while new classic 120GB (unable to Rockbox) is more transparent, less warm sound.

it is still depend on your preference :doh:

I'm a SQ guy. always SQ come first... functions don't really care much -_- ....

if you are going to use amp + capacitors LOD and lossless files like FLAC with rockboxed + imod will be the winner :rclxms:

No amp - Rockboxed 5.5G Ipod has warmer sound and better SQ than original 5.5G.

while new classic 120GB (unable to Rockbox) is more transparent, less warm sound.

it is still depend on your preference :doh:

Thanks, but I still want to know what exactly did rockbox or iMod did to the iPod so that it could make better sounds?

and also as u said, why its winner to use rockbox + iMod for amp line out with loseless files...Thanks

also wonder how to make the rockbox or iMod exactly...sorry for such silly questions, i really did some research in the forum but unable to find a clear answer~~~

thanks, dew, is there any way to make my 5.5 gen ipod iModded in Singapore? also wanna ask if I can only use line out after iMod or I can use both line out and the previous analog output, with iTunes also? coz I download podcasts quite often and sync into my ipod everyday, thanks thanks~~ :grin:

thanks, dew, is there any way to make my 5.5 gen ipod iModded in Singapore? also wanna ask if I can only use line out after iMod or I can use both line out and the previous analog output, with iTunes also? coz I download podcasts quite often and sync into my ipod everyday, thanks thanks~~ :grin:

you have to send your 5.5G to US for iMod. otherwise buy new iMod thru ALO or Jaben. I think Jaben's iMod just arrived. still using line out to sync with iTunes. Remember iMod must used with amp+LOD (with capacitors). If you have no intention to use amp, don't use iMod...

Alright then, I got it, so must use with amp if iMod coz only line out is working, for the changed IC~

For rockbox its not the case right? I still can use both analog and line out output, still, can I sync the podcasts with iTunes if rockboxed my iPod 5.5gen? thanks

rockbox don't need to use iTunes, you just drag and drop files to your ipod

yes, but what i mean is the podcasts, downloaded by iTUnes, need to sync them into the iPod, coz actually can't find the downloaded podcast files in the harddrive, dun know if it is because i can't find or the files are protected, basicly wanna ask if the rockboxed iPod can switch between the original operation interface using iTunes and the rockboxed interface~

Thanks

also wanna ask if rockboxed, izt possible to turn back? just like never rockboxed, coz need to check how the rockbox work out on the iPod, if not good enough to me, may need to sell it for the new IPC~~

Edited by HerbalTurtle

rockboxed iPod can switch between the original and rockboxed interface/firmware with a simple reboot.

you may uninstall rockbox if you don't like it. apple original firmware will remain.