Morgan Wu

DIY guide for LOD

Ok there's something i don't understand here, maybe someone can help me with it.

A TRS (stereo jack) has the tip, ring and sleeve which translates to the left channel, right channel and the ground right?

So i've noticed some cables using 4 strands of wire instead of 3 (eg. 2 silver and 2 copper). So how are they wired then? Silver on the audio channels and copper on the grounds? Or the other way round? Is there somethign i'm missing here? Thanks for the help!

You are right, there should only be 3 strands. I have not opened up a ALO LOD before, but i believe 2 strands lead to the ground.

So the configuration is 1 for left, 1 for right, and 2 for ground.

Exactly how this affects the sound i do not know, i am having a friend of mine who owns a UE11 to compare them. There should be a review soon.

PS: I find it strange to use different materials for different channels. This is because things would not be balanced this way. Imagine using silver for R,L and copper for G. How will this benefit the sound? And if the talk is about combining silver and copper qualities, isnt it more logical to use silver+copper for L,R and G respectively? Then you will end up with a 6 wire braid.

Wow. Nice idea, i should try that.

PS: I find it strange to use different materials for different channels. This is because things would not be balanced this way. Imagine using silver for R,L and copper for G. How will this benefit the sound?

I understand some people believe the signal should travel to the transducer (driver) via silver and the return signal should be over copper.

Me? I am cable agnostic. Give me a nice copper cable and I am happy. After all, in a circuit board, the traces are so thin and they are copper. The wires in the headphone drivers are copper.

Using anything else just changes the sound. I stick to copper and select the other components, ie. headphones and amps, to fit my taste.

Sorry for spoiling the talk of cables. :P

I understand some people believe the signal should travel to the transducer (driver) via silver and the return signal should be over copper.

Me? I am cable agnostic. Give me a nice copper cable and I am happy. After all, in a circuit board, the traces are so thin and they are copper. The wires in the headphone drivers are copper.

Using anything else just changes the sound. I stick to copper and select the other components, ie. headphones and amps, to fit my taste.

Sorry for spoiling the talk of cables. :P

ah in that case, you should try vampires cables.. :thumbup: , i like it better than any other silver lods or hybrid ics i've made.. :thumbup::thumbup:

Haha, each person is entitled to their own opinion. I was like you too. My opinion changed when once i tried to be funny and used some wires savaged from my old com to make the LOD. The result is that it sounded like sh*t.

But i think the difference gets very insignificant as you go up "there" too, like me, the wires i am using right now is pretty good already. I cant differentiate between silver and copper wires, but my friend claim he can. Haha. Dun worry, you didnt spoil anything. The chat is to bring people with the same opinions together, and to listen to other people's opinion at the same time.

Overall its plain fun to DIY, and LODs become more like pieces of art to me.

cable kindof thing is really subjective...if u study the material used in transducer, PCB, etc etc.. fascinating cable is really doesn't make much sense improving over it.

I happened to meet some audiophile in the past. well, some of them hates silver, they insist that OFC is still the best in audio.

hmm, enjoy music, find what your ears love the most; that's the only path to most of us i guess :rclxms:

Edited by alvin1118

Guest fiiophile

Anybody knows where to get non-stiff wires? Been hunting for them. Currently, I only know Silver wires from Koba are not that stiff. Their Silver Plated ones are horribly stiff. I'm doing recabling.

This picture shows how stiff they are.. They just stays in the air.

IPB Image

Guest fiiophile

I asked the guy who recabled his UE with silver wires on another thread, but no responses from him. Have you tried stranded wires instead of solid cores?

Not yet. I ready to recable it with ES2 cables...

Muahahaha, just got my soldering station today from Farnell, see what a beauty it is.

IPB Image

Unopened...

IPB Image

Inside~

IPB Image

The iron itself.

IPB Image

The station..

IPB Image

My workspace.

IPB Image

Warming up...

IPB Image

And one big pack of Neutrik plugs!!

Btw, anyone know what is the exact composition of Switchcraft plugs?

Edited by Morgan Wu

Muahahaha, just got my soldering station today from Farnell, see what a beauty it is.

IPB Image

Unopened...

IPB Image

Inside~

IPB Image

The iron itself.

IPB Image

The station..

IPB Image

My workspace.

IPB Image

Warming up...

IPB Image

And one big pack of Neutrik plugs!!

Btw, anyone know what is the exact composition of Switchcraft plugs?

thats one nice soldering docking station.. looks heavy though.. xD.. how much did that costs you?

btw, anyone know where i can get R Angle Switch craft 3.5mm jacks?