Sign in to follow this  
samsoundnoob

Help with ATH-ANC7

hi all I'm pretty noob to all this sound equipment thingi so please pardon my ignorance.

I was surfing around the forum and noticed many new terms like IEM, DAC and AMPs

Currently using a Creative Zen X-Fi and ATH-ANC7, listening to jazz vocals and bossa nova, somehow I feel that the headphones are just not producing the clarity they should have. Can someone please offer some advice?

Really suffering here :helpsmilie:

I don't think your Creative is able to drive the AT phones properly. Most MP3 players are designed for ear-buds and IEMs. For headphones, you will need a headphone amp to drive the headphones. In your case, unless you are in noisy environments, turn off the noise cancelling as it does affect the sound quality too.

Why not go to Stereo Electronics in Causeway Point or Jaben in Adelphi and try out the extensive range of amps available for demo and see if you will be happy with an amp? No harm, except potentially to your wallet!

Whether tube amps are for you or not, only your ears will tell you. But if you like clarity which it sounds like you do, maybe a solid state amp is more your taste.

DACs convert digital data into analog signals which are then amplified by the amp and then converted into sound by your headphones. Sources for DAC will be a CD player or a media player which have a digital out port. Types of digital out port can be RCA, optical and others. Most common is RCA and optical.

Another type of DACs incorporate a USB port which allows you to connect them to a computer which can then be used as players.

I doubt you can use DAC with your Creative X-Fi.

Isn't the ATH ANC7 active noice-canceling headphone? They should work well with most audio sources. Your audio source would not be driving the QNC7 directly, the built-in amp of the ANC7 would provide the juice.

as above set EQ to flat and you may want to adjust/compensate with custom EQ (does it have?) if you're still unahppy.

One more thing do you listen without the ANC turned on? It sounds muffled that way. with the anc turned on it should be very easy to drive. And had a Meizu M6 and it sounded great on it.