Sign in to follow this  
hellfire112

HD600 vs HD650 vs HFI 780 vs ED9 vs MDR-CD900ST vs Proline750 shootout

HD600 (recabled and modded. owner: soundsync)

firstly, i didnt like stock HD600 (not as much as stock HD650 thou). so i was skeptical at first when i took soundsync HD600 and tried it, the first thing that struck me was how lovely this headphone sound, it was neither laidback nor forward sounding, rather it was just nice, the music was presented as the way it is and there was bass quantity and quality. of course when paired with the correct amp(sorry i will not reveal which amp) the mids was crazy and the bass i dare say is better than atrios bass. this is the bass standard. full stop.

HD650 (recabled and modded. owner: sep90)

HD650 stock to put it crudely, i will throw it away if someone gave to me. i didnt like the laidback, dark sound. however the modded HD650 was very very similar to the modded HD600 in sound. i couldnt really tell the difference in some tracks. the difference is in the bass. the HD650 felt like it had more bass quantity, but overall, i preferred the bass presentation of the HD600. =)

HFI 780 (recabled and modded. owner: Aron)

first thing i noticed about the modded HFI-780 was the mids, i felt the stock mids were a bit recessed, and the mod brought up the mids, and bass quality was vastly improved. the bass quantity wasnt a lot to me but it had nice tight bass. overall it was very enjoyable to listen to. i think i will need another audition to make a decision between the modded HD600 and the modded HFI-780.

ED9 (stock. owner: Kidult)

hands down to the ED9. it is truely worthy of it's hype and glam. i tot my cd had something wrong. the ED9 is crazily FAST! perfect for the rock song that i played. hearing the ED9 is believing. i have heard the best. full stop.

MDR-CD900ST (stock. owner: cannoncal)

when i hook up the CD900ST to my rig, the vocals were a bit too forward but still acceptable, it was a bit more on the bright side but still acceptable to me. however, when i use cannoncal pico instead of my D3, the CD900ST really shine. the bass cant be compared to the above few cans but the vocals/mids was right up there. the CD900ST really showed me the weak links of my rig. previously when i a-b StGrim pico and my D3 with my rig, the difference wasnt tat much. now with the CD900ST, i finally realise the gap between the pico and the D3. my rig wasnt doing the pico justice, unable to unleash the full power of the pico.

Proline 750 (stock. owner:amit)

the Proline 750 stock without burn in is another can that i will throw away also. i tried it in jaben with the raptor and it still fails miserably. the sound is very 2D like and boring. however i tried amit's burned in PL750 with the Yamamoto HA-02 and it was impressive(until i tried the rest of the modded stuff, it was no fight really.), it is comparable to Whesenday D2000, just that there was lesser bass quantity, but the bass do go deeper on the PL750. overall the PL750 was the best for lying back at home with a nice comfy chair and a cup of coffee with nobody to disturb you. that is the best way to enjoy the music presented by the Proline 750.

i owe this great opportunity to Kidult who invited me over and all those people who turned up and brought their rigs. special thanks to all of you, you know who you are! ;)

i met the 'legend' in person and tried something real good. uberburger101 is going to be so jealous when i tell him about this. :P

posted this in jaben, posting here in case my thread got deleted like the previous HFI thread. :D

Edited by hellfire112

great reviews

lol

his hd600 is even better than mine hd650 i will be honest :yes:

also can stand along with ed9 truly balanced and presented the highs, mids and lows in general balanced way :rclxms:

his hd600 is even better than mine hd650 i will be honest :yes:

Hey same! I though I had wierd ears! I also prefer the HD600 to the HD650 :blush:

curious what is the cable and mod applied on both HD600 & HD650 :P

Hey ya bro you should specify that. I'm curious.

I have heard cardas recable HD650, frankly just the cardas alone already makes quite some improvement to the HD650.

Hiaz... Why doesn't the K701 have detachable cables... :bash:

actually we had Ultrasone Proline750 (owned by Amit), Voyager & IEM silver recable (owned by Gba_Chia. Sorry if I get the recable name wrong) on the list too. Thanks to both Jabenites for the loan :yes:

too bad nobody has detachable IEM to try the recable :no: Ultrasone Proline 750 really sounds good after long hours of burn in. With the potential of recable HFI-780 we heard, maybe owners of Proline750 can consider to recable the can :rclxms:

I truly enjoyed meeting all you guys. It really a good opportunity to hear so many wonderful cans and portable amps at one shot. And we even have live phone call from Philippines to follow up the process lol.

Special thanks to Aron for loaning us 2 well sounding newly releases headphones from Audio Technica :o:o

Pictures and more reviews are coming soon :whistle:

Proline 750 (stock. owner:amit)

the Proline 750 stock without burn in is another can that i will throw away also. i tried it in jaben with the raptor and it still fails miserably. the sound is very 2D like and boring. however i tried amit's burned in PL750 with the Yamamoto HA-02 and it was impressive(until i tried the rest of the modded stuff, it was no fight really.), it is comparable to Whesenday D2000, just that there was lesser bass quantity, but the bass do go deeper on the PL750. overall the PL750 was the best for lying back at home with a nice comfy chair and a cup of coffee with nobody to disturb you. that is the best way to enjoy the music presented by the Proline 750.

shall add in the proline750 review.

cant believe i forgot about this can, was the very first one i tried. aft that too many poisonous stuff and the excitement of all the modded stuff, i forgot about this lovely can.

my apologies.

pictures are up on jaben forum by jojo.

beautiful...

No pictures here?

guess jojo not registered yet over here. i shall quote his post frm jaben

Sorry for the delay. Had migraine last night due to travel yesterday. I haven't had a good rest since Thurs. Anyway, Here are some pics from my camera. I just started my hobby a week ago so please bear with my shots.

IPB Image

Portable amps available on the MEET. They really love their Qubes. =p

IPB Image

These are the shock of the night the recabled HD 600 and HD 650

IPB Image

Are these twins.. Oh no. They may look similar but the sound difference was awesome. the modded Hi-Fi780 was one of my personal favorites in the meet.

IPB Image

Another Shot. for you!

IPB Image

Don't forget this either! The Ultrasone Proline 750

IPB Image

Waah this were very surprising. It were soo light and still pack the details and the punch I want. Need to find these babies when I get home.

IPB Image

Close up!

IPB Image

We did have a lot of portables but only one desktop. But I assure you this daddy drove any of the Headphones we had EASILY!!!

IPB Image

The bundle with some green stuff. =)

IPB Image

What are these??? Guess but you won't win a prize though. But these babies were very surprising clarity and details were great! Anothere thing AT should offer to all. =)

Edited by hellfire112

check my pics on hd650 post

there u will c it :D

well cables r a secret but i could tell u 1 thing .......crystal...

You have them??? Omg can let me try?

Actually I tried them before, but at that time there were too many factors already, I couldn't decide whether it was the source or the amp or the balanced setup or the cable that was making the music. Certainly I can't comment with authority on the performance of the cables alone.

But that one I tried... I've only got 1 word: Wow.

see it, the damping cushion on the neodymium magnet driver is removed :D

I'm using diy Cardas 4x24, mid and bass are improved. crystal cable, hm... interesting :)

I'm using diy Cardas 4x24, mid and bass are improved. crystal cable, hm... interesting :)

That's the great thing about the senns. So many options with the cable. If only my K701 uses that detachable plug too... Oohh...

Edited by peanutbutterjam

Tried the crystal cable on my HD600 and HD650 but didn't like it myself. It gives the Senn a very smooth midrange but lacks control in complicated passages, can sound boring after a while. Although they sound good as interconnects in my home setup.

Tried the crystal cable on my HD600 and HD650 but didn't like it myself. It gives the Senn a very smooth midrange but lacks control in complicated passages, can sound boring after a while. Although they sound good as interconnects in my home setup.

maybe you should give a try to this Valgrind recable HD600/650 one day. as hellfire112 reviewed,

they are simply musical.

Edited by kidult