Sign in to follow this  
mouz

Interest Check: AMB's Y1 DAC

I ordered everything I needed from Digikey. Only the resistors from Farnell. FYI.

Bro mouz,

Have you added me in? Are you ordering with the components also?

Yup its in, all updated in first post. BTW, if you guys spot anything missing or unnecessary, do let me know yah? Think I 'll close this interest check on Friday midnight and move on to a group buy. So far, the interested personnel is as per below. I'll email you guys the account number to transfer to once this IC is closed. Those who wanna pull out, do let me know alright? Cheers!

1. mouz

2. Stephen Chung

3. adn6244

4. habba

5. theory_87

BTW, shipping will be direct from AMB via USPS. I checked via the vpost method, it's indeed cheaper but no insurance. With insurance, it works out to be about the same.

Edited by mouz

mouz.

i believe they are asking you if it is a full kit.

you better explain that the rest of the components must be purchased separately from mouser/digikey/farnell.

Ok, gene83. Guys, I'll be ordering only parts avaiblable from AMB, the rest of the parts you will have to source from elsewhere. Here's what I ll be ordering from him. If you want to omit anything in the list and source it yourself, do tell me.

Y1 modular miniature DAC printed circuit board set and accessories (Includes 1 USB board, 1 DAC board, 5 ferrite beads and 1 SIP-9 pin header) x 1 $12

Vishay-BC MKT370 1µF 63V MKT film capacitor x 3 $1.35

JW Miller 79F470K 47µH miniature inductor x 1 $0.30

Bourns 4606X-101-473LF 47KΩx5 resistor network, bussed (SIP-6) x 2 $0.40

Bourns 4608X-102-680LF 68Ωx4 resistor network, isolated (SIP-8) x 1 $0.25

DC power jack, 1.3mm center pin $0.70

RCA jack, PCB-mount x 1 $1.25

3.5mm stereo mini phone jack x 1 $0.60

TI/Burr Brown PCM2707PJT x 1 $6.80

Texas Instruments TPS2115APW power multiplexer (TSSOP-8) x 1 $1.90

Wolfson WM8501GED/V x 1 $2.50

mouz.

i believe they are asking you if it is a full kit.

you better explain that the rest of the components must be purchased separately from mouser/digikey/farnell.

thanks for understanding my question :P

so the rest of the component must source ourselves?

thanks for understanding my question :P

so the rest of the component must source ourselves?

Yes sir :). Anyone needs to be spoon fed with the rest of the parts, I've got an excel file for the full config with with farnell and rscomp part numbers. Just PM me ur email address and I'll send it to you. But do take note that I'm taking no responsibility if there any mistakes though, better check thru before using alright?

this is all i need to build the y1 dac?

oops sorry, missed out this post. Nope, you'll need more than that. The rest of the parts list can be found at the link below

http://www.amb.org/audio/gamma1/ - click on parts list on the left

The estimated total cost without the AMB custom cut panels are about SGD200 including shipping.

This build is about med to med-high difficulty. This should NOT be your first few projects. The SMD chips are hard to solder, make sure you have fine tipped iron and be prepared to order more SMD chips and worse comes to worse a new board.

PS: You should have basic electronic troubleshooting skills and tools. I repeat, this is not a starter build. Neither is it a project for those who have just finished a CMOY.

Edited by gene83

wow this looks like a very demanding project =/

I don't think it is particularly difficult. Just don't do it as first project. First, two of the chips have leads which are very close together and so need a special technique to solder. There are video guides on tangent's site on this. Basically, there are two methods.

One, is to use lots of flux on the pcb and chip, and with a very fine solder iron, apply just a small ball of molten solder to each lead. The flux will melt and pull the solder into the space between each leg and the pcb. The key here is to keep the amount of molten solder as small as possible.

The second method, is to also apply flx liberally but use lots of molten solder and apply to all the leads at the same time. There will be solder which bridge all the leads. Clean the iron tip and with a solder sucker ready, re-apply the iron to melt the solder on all the leads and suck them off. This second method is easier than the first but require a bit more guts.

To avoid over heating the chip, mentally count off while applying iron, never let the iron heat the chip longer than 10 seconds. If there are problems, wait a few minutes for the chip to cool and then try again. Check visually against a bright light to see if there are any solder bridges remaining.

Second possible problem, there are many many parts and so lots of opportunities to make mistakes unless you are very careful and check each part before soldering. This includes checking the resistance of each resistor, checking against the BOM to confirm before soldering. So take your time with each part and you should be fine.

nah im not trying to scare ppl away.

the more diyers the merrier.

just that i dont want ppl to fall in to the trap thinking that it is easy to do.

as per murphy's law, 50/50 chance it doesn't work on the 1st try.

as to troubleshooting, you'll need the appropriate tools and some know-how (so you don't kill something unknowingly).

its just facts.

Edited by gene83