Sign in to follow this  
mouz

Interest Check: AMB's Y1 DAC

enclosure get from digikey/farnell/mouser.

like what mouz said, he will not be providing the full kit as it is too messy.

faceplate i bought from AMB himself. the current face plates are selling at 40USD i bought at 20USD so that was ok for me.

after building it i wouldnt say its much easier then the mini3.

this one has the huge hassle of testing every single smd chip for shorts before you power on and due to this many smd chips? its very very easy to bridge them with solder or have cold joints. i also spent many hours just trying to remove the solder bridges.

Bro, where you get the face plate? can share the contact?

Oh...where you get the power supply ?

faceplate i bought from AMB himself. the current face plates are selling at 40USD i bought at 20USD so that was ok for me.

after building it i wouldnt say its much easier then the mini3.

this one has the huge hassle of testing every single smd chip for shorts before you power on and due to this many smd chips? its very very easy to bridge them with solder or have cold joints. i also spent many hours just trying to remove the solder bridges.

Wow, how to get faceplate so cheap, unless custom lasercut in SG with plastic plates.

I would say it is not much more difficult than the Mini3 because not so easy to spoil the chips. I had no problems with solder bridges. The way to clean off the solder bridges is to clean all solder off the iron tip with a wet sponge, dip the tip into flux and then wipe it across all the leads slowly. The solder will melt and be wicked onto the iron tip. Viola, no more bridges.

Checking with DMM for cold joints can't be helped but is not difficult, just time consuming. And with a lot more parts than the Mini3, need to be careful.

Oh...where you get the power supply ?

The y1 don't need a power supply, it can run off USB power. But if you wish, you can buy a 5V wall wart to power it.

Y1 modular miniature DAC printed circuit board set and accessories (Includes 1 USB board, 1 DAC board, 5 ferrite beads and 1 SIP-9 pin header) x 1 $12

Vishay-BC MKT370 1µF 63V MKT film capacitor x 3 $1.35

JW Miller 79F470K 47µH miniature inductor x 1 $0.30

Bourns 4606X-101-473LF 47KΩx5 resistor network, bussed (SIP-6) x 2 $0.40

Bourns 4608X-102-680LF 68Ωx4 resistor network, isolated (SIP-8) x 1 $0.25

DC power jack, 1.3mm center pin $0.70

RCA jack, PCB-mount x 1 $1.25

3.5mm stereo mini phone jack x 1 $0.60

TI/Burr Brown PCM2707PJT x 1 $6.80

Texas Instruments TPS2115APW power multiplexer (TSSOP-8) x 1 $1.90

Wolfson WM8501GED/V x 1 $2.50

Ok....This is what i want. Can I pass you the money personally? I hate using bank transfer.

Hi Stephen MKT370 film cap no more already, it has been replaced by mks2 which is $USD0.80 each which works out to be $USD2.40. BTW, take note all prices are in USD.

Hi Stephen MKT370 film cap no more already, it has been replaced by mks2 which is $USD0.80 each which works out to be $USD2.40. BTW, take note all prices are in USD.

No problem...noted...

Wow, how to get faceplate so cheap, unless custom lasercut in SG with plastic plates.

I would say it is not much more difficult than the Mini3 because not so easy to spoil the chips. I had no problems with solder bridges. The way to clean off the solder bridges is to clean all solder off the iron tip with a wet sponge, dip the tip into flux and then wipe it across all the leads slowly. The solder will melt and be wicked onto the iron tip. Viola, no more bridges.

Checking with DMM for cold joints can't be helped but is not difficult, just time consuming. And with a lot more parts than the Mini3, need to be careful.

The y1 don't need a power supply, it can run off USB power. But if you wish, you can buy a 5V wall wart to power it.

okok....what is a wall wart? I presume is something like the power supply we use on our laptop?

err its stated in amb's audio shop.

its 40USD per set excluding the enclosure.

i got it cheap because i was in the pre-order.

Wah, you lucky man. I balked at the USD40 which was the initial price and decided not to join the order. :cry:

Wah, you lucky man. I balked at the USD40 which was the initial price and decided not to join the order. :cry:

Don't worry Heady, I'm pretty sure the ones we'll be making will be much cheaper than USD20 :)

Don't worry Heady, I'm pretty sure the ones we'll be making will be much cheaper than USD20 :)

Cool...let me know when you want to order. I would like to order also.

I can organise the group buy for enclosure. Will create a new thread to check how many interested. I'll try to find out which vendor offer more discount if we buy more.

I can organise the group buy for enclosure. Will create a new thread to check how many interested. I'll try to find out which vendor offer more discount if we buy more.

bro, one of those interested backed out so left 4 guys, doubt we can get that discount for the enclosures now man...

Bro, placing ur order for the PCB set? :)

Edited by mouz

just get from farnell.

you can laser cut the panels from the guy that did the mini3 for you guys?

I still got his e-mail and it's mouz's contact actually. Nice guy to deal with. I can do the picking up.