Sign in to follow this  
mouz

Interest Check: AMB's Y1 DAC

I have to agree with that, I did the mini3 as my first amp and nearly destroyed it, stuff like torn pads, opmap that were destroyed by overheating, shorts, etc. I think basically stuff that went wrong went wrong, but luckily managed to salvage it :sweat:

wow this looks like a very demanding project =/

gene now i also notice you own the SF5EB lol. fellow basshead?

yep fellow basshead.

whooo!

completed the y1.

listening to it through my bijou now.

very nice indeed :)

Congrats! Although the number of parts are more, this is easier than the Mini3. The problem with the Mini3 is accidentally killing the opamp while testing as the capacitor in the Mini3 still supply power even when turned off.

Nice! can't wait to get all these sorted out. BTW, u guys got your faceplates yet? I'll probably start something like what we did with the mini3 last time. What you guys think?

Hi guys, think I'll close the interest check for now and move on to group buy. Here's how this goes

1. Copy and paste the items that you want and reply in this thread or via PM. Please use the subject ' Y1 parts order: <Ur forum name>' if it's via PM.

2. Costs for shipping, etc will be worked out and updated in this thread.

3. Payment will be collected via bank transfers, cost of shipping will be split among the buyers evenly (should be around $USD6-7 each.)(POSB)

4. Orders will than be placed once all payment has been collected.

5. Any excess or lack in funds due to currency fluctuations during transaction will be collected or refunded accordingly during item collection .

BTW, AMB took out the cheaper Vishay mkt370 and replaced it with the more expensive mks2, thereby jacking up the price up to $29.10 for the whole set. MKS2 is cheaper locally :whistle:

Congrats! Although the number of parts are more, this is easier than the Mini3. The problem with the Mini3 is accidentally killing the opamp while testing as the capacitor in the Mini3 still supply power even when turned off.

its easier than mini3? :o

Nice! can't wait to get all these sorted out. BTW, u guys got your faceplates yet? I'll probably start something like what we did with the mini3 last time. What you guys think?

Yes, yes! I can and will help with the faceplates if required. My self-made plates are plain ugly. :cry:

I am new here. So, what have yo all done for the mini3 the last time. Any idea where to get the enclosure for the y1?

enclosure get from digikey/farnell/mouser.

like what mouz said, he will not be providing the full kit as it is too messy.

faceplate i bought from AMB himself. the current face plates are selling at 40USD i bought at 20USD so that was ok for me.

after building it i wouldnt say its much easier then the mini3.

this one has the huge hassle of testing every single smd chip for shorts before you power on and due to this many smd chips? its very very easy to bridge them with solder or have cold joints. i also spent many hours just trying to remove the solder bridges.

Y1 modular miniature DAC printed circuit board set and accessories (Includes 1 USB board, 1 DAC board, 5 ferrite beads and 1 SIP-9 pin header) x 1 $12

Vishay-BC MKT370 1µF 63V MKT film capacitor x 3 $1.35

JW Miller 79F470K 47µH miniature inductor x 1 $0.30

Bourns 4606X-101-473LF 47KΩx5 resistor network, bussed (SIP-6) x 2 $0.40

Bourns 4608X-102-680LF 68Ωx4 resistor network, isolated (SIP-8) x 1 $0.25

DC power jack, 1.3mm center pin $0.70

RCA jack, PCB-mount x 1 $1.25

3.5mm stereo mini phone jack x 1 $0.60

TI/Burr Brown PCM2707PJT x 1 $6.80

Texas Instruments TPS2115APW power multiplexer (TSSOP-8) x 1 $1.90

Wolfson WM8501GED/V x 1 $2.50

Ok....This is what i want. Can I pass you the money personally? I hate using bank transfer.

Edited by stephen chung