gbn

AKG K518DJ

I use headphone on the go.At home I listen to hifi.I was having px 200 and portapro both of them were could easily be driven by my hp.Recently I decided to change portapro due to isolation problem while traveling.So I went to SE to try AKG K 518DJ.They had 81DJ on demo which has the same driving mechanism according to them.I listened to it connected to amp and was really impressed to the sound.So I bought 518dj.At home I connected it to my cdp to play for some hours.When I connected to my hp ...not really satisfied......I feel the power is not enough as I keep the volume in max to get a reasonable level of sound.And I feel the just a h/p power is not enough to drive this headphone.. .Now I am thinking do I need to get a portable amp get sound better??? or need to run in more time It may be again fruitless effort to but just portable amp if the power is insufficient to drive this headphone and look lousy to carry an amp around.And I m not sure the size of the amp can fit into my laptop bag.....hum...Anybody can give a wise opinion??

Hi,

If you're looking for a compact portable amp, you can try the iBasso T4, which I'm quite sure that SE carries them. Alternatively, there is the Fiio 5, Xin Supermicro IV, RSA Mustang P-51 and other DIY CMOYs to consider.

It must have been that the impedance of the headphones are higher than what the HP is capable of powering. A portable amp will surely help, but you'll have to try and see if you like the sound of the amps.

Regards.

I think its quite interesting.. That you didnt use your HP to test out the headphone before you buy? That will be your main source.

Instead of a amp, have you tried using a real mp3 player to power that headphone? Maybe you should consider carrying a mp3 around with you instead. Other than looking better (definitely), it could be a waste for you to use a amp together with your hp.

I think its quite interesting.. That you didnt use your HP to test out the headphone before you buy? That will be your main source.

Instead of a amp, have you tried using a real mp3 player to power that headphone? Maybe you should consider carrying a mp3 around with you instead. Other than looking better (definitely), it could be a waste for you to use a amp together with your hp.

I tried it with ipod there.But didn't worry about the openness tot any headphone need sometime to run in right?I thought that may be the problem .Even the salesman also commented the same.So i plug it on my marantz cdp to and let it run countinuously for 12 hrs at diff intervals.Still not sure is that correct way of run in.But still sound not satisfactory.That is the time I decided to ask around for opinions....Any mp3 player in market with more power to drive these headphone??.Cos I don't want to myself look like a loser or carry many accessories to drive this end up with a heavy baggage... :doh:

Edited by gbn