Minicotexx

Headphones that goes well 2gather with Amp Suggestions!

I start off with a warm greeting to all SGHeadphones, something like a boot licking tactic here since Im new here. haha just kidding ^^!

Where was I? Oh yea recently I purchased a ipod touch and to be honest I pretty pleased with the functionality available like, google map, youtube etc etc. however thats when things change when I've started listening to the music with their default earpiece , I was pretty disappointed and therefore I jump start on a quest and on a motto!

" never listen to poor quality music anymore " the bass is omg disappointing and just not quite up there for my listening pleasure

Therefore I done my homework and find quite alot of positive review about

Grado Sr-80, and also Koss Porta Pro and heard of amps.

However I in need of a good recommendation of earphones and amp that goes well together

I have a budget of approx $200 and maybe a lil bit more if I really like that sound of it

I dont mind having a relatively cheap koss porta pro and an amp that can be quite expensive that can compensate its faults

OR

A expensive headphones (maybe for me :P ) maybe like SR-80 for example, and a cheap amp to further boost the quality of it.

I listen to genre like rock , pop, maybe a lil screamo at times

P.S being an audiophile is an expensive hobby!!

Welcome to sgheadphones!

I believe you are mainly going to listen to your IPod touch on the go? If so, open-backed cans like Grado Sr80 will not be up for the job as being open will leak a whole lot, which is pretty undesirable for people close to you and especially in public transport. It will also work against you, having outside environmental noises interfering with your listening experience.

And since you mentioned about the Grado SR80 and the Koss Porta Pro, I assume you are looking for more bass in your headphones? If so, Porta Pro are indeed a great headphone for its price! For $200, you can try to maximise your budget by purchasing the Audio Technica ATH-ES7. It packs a decent amount of bass and impact you want and having a more aggressive sound signature which is great for more energetic music.

Its generally better to get a pair of decent headphones, and then look for an amplifier to back up its flaws that you may discover with time, due to the fact that the headphones themselves provide more sound improvement than amplifiers. Amplifiers main role is just to complement the headphone that you chose.

FYI, I'm currently using the Porta-Pros along with the Graham Slee Voyager amplifier which greatly increases the bass weight and impact.

Cheers!

I start off with a warm greeting to all SGHeadphones, something like a boot licking tactic here since Im new here. haha just kidding ^^!

Where was I? Oh yea recently I purchased a ipod touch and to be honest I pretty pleased with the functionality available like, google map, youtube etc etc. however thats when things change when I've started listening to the music with their default earpiece , I was pretty disappointed and therefore I jump start on a quest and on a motto!

" never listen to poor quality music anymore " the bass is omg disappointing and just not quite up there for my listening pleasure

However I in need of a good recommendation of earphones and amp that goes well together

I have a budget of approx $200 and maybe a lil bit more if I really like that sound of it

I dont mind having a relatively cheap koss porta pro and an amp that can be quite expensive that can compensate its faults

OR

A expensive headphones (maybe for me :P ) maybe like SR-80 for example, and a cheap amp to further boost the quality of it.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but your $200 budget is going to be busted real soon :grin:

OR

I would try the Koss protapro with the ibasso T4 amp combo.

Although the koss isn't a closed headphone, imo there isn't much headphone closed that would fit the bill and sound good for the genres of music you listen to. Koss protapro is portable, light weight and an extremely balanced sounding ( for the price) headphone that with a decent amp can prove to be a excellent entry level audiophile setup.

Of course, you should try them first ( Stereo at causeway point is a nice place to try)and if you think you can live without an amp like the ultra thin and small ibasso T4, save that extra buck and spend it on CDs instead.

-ohn' date='21 Jan 2009, 09:54 AM' post='106508']

I would try the Koss protapro with the ibasso T4 amp combo.

Although the koss isn't a closed headphone, imo there isn't much headphone closed that would fit the bill and sound good for the genres of music you listen to. Koss protapro is portable, light weight and an extremely balanced sounding ( for the price) headphone that with a decent amp can prove to be a excellent entry level audiophile setup.

Of course, you should try them first ( Stereo at causeway point is a nice place to try)and if you think you can live without an amp like the ultra thin and small ibasso T4, save that extra buck and spend it on CDs instead.

sorry to hijack.If don't mind can know roughly how much t4 costs??

haha $200 to me is just like a kick start on being an audiophile

Besides to be honest Im having pretty subtle knowledge about those technical terms like gain, bass more weight and impact, after all all these years I've have never been listening to good headphones, but hopefully I learn more thru practical approach :P

lastly $200 compared to those hardcore audiophiles I am just a typical peanut T_T

haha $200 to me is just like a kick start on being an audiophile

Besides to be honest Im having pretty subtle knowledge about those technical terms like gain, bass more weight and impact, after all all these years I've have never been listening to good headphones, but hopefully I learn more thru practical approach :P

lastly $200 compared to those hardcore audiophiles I am just a typical peanut T_T

$200 is a good starter budget and if choose your headphone carefully, avoid power hungry headphones that performs better with amps.

You should audition the headphones and test not just for sound but comfort as well as isolation (if required), especially in Singapore weather condition, a full sized closed back headphone can make you sweat faster compared to the small sized portable ones.

$200 is a good starter budget and if choose your headphone carefully, avoid power hungry headphones that performs better with amps.

You should audition the headphones and test not just for sound but comfort as well as isolation (if required), especially in Singapore weather condition, a full sized closed back headphone can make you sweat faster compared to the small sized portable ones.

I would like to emphasize on the comfort part, which many people neglect. To me comfort is of high priority, no point having a killer sound that you can only bear with for 10min.

Also, as someone once told me, and I totally agree, a poor headphone with a good amp will generally function better than a good headphone with a lousy one. (Please take this reasonably, I'm talking about quality stuff here, not iBuds with LISA 3) Although quite counter-intuitive, this is quite true, since generally cheap headphones are easier to drive to maximum potential (cause the manufacturer won't expect a person who spends $200 bucks on a can to spend $1k on the amp for it).

If you want a concrete recommendation, I'd suggest go try the ES-W7 just straight out of your iPod, or any other portable headphone. Don't bother with an amp at this budget, you would rather put the money spent in the amp on a better portable can. This should do nicely until you decide to join the dark side :grin:

Edited by peanutbutterjam

I would like to emphasize on the comfort part, which many people neglect. To me comfort is of high priority, no point having a killer sound that you can only bear with for 10min.

Also, as someone once told me, and I totally agree, a poor headphone with a good amp will generally function better than a good headphone with a lousy one. (Please take this reasonably, I'm talking about quality stuff here, not iBuds with LISA 3) Although quite counter-intuitive, this is quite true, since generally cheap headphones are easier to drive to maximum potential (cause the manufacturer won't expect a person who spends $200 bucks on a can to spend $1k on the amp for it).

If you want a concrete recommendation, I'd suggest go try the ES-W7 just straight out of your iPod, or any other portable headphone. Don't bother with an amp at this budget, you would rather put the money spent in the amp on a better portable can. This should do nicely until you decide to join the dark side :grin:

I suppose you meant ATH-ES7. IPB Image

haha such an coincidence, I just emailed you recently about the availability of Koss porta pro,

now another recommendation of ATH ESW7, looks like I really have to think really hard on making a decision, And thx alot to all the audiophiles here for their recommendation, shall take down all the names recommended and trust my ears and body for comfort when I go down to Stereo for hands on trial

and oh yea! btw! here hows much is the cost of ES7 mind if I ask hopefully within my budget ^^!

CHeers :party:

Edited by Minicotexx

I made my purchase at Stereo and the travelling time to there is OMG

But anyway I pretty satisfied with my purchase of Koss porta pro had an impulse on purchasing SR-80 and also took a look at the ATH-ES7 and its pretty bulky in my opinion and since I'll be bringing it around, therefore portability is an issue here. Therefore since Koss porta pro fits the bill

Koss Porta pro to be despite the good reviews etc wasnt quite impressed with it though

The bass is good no doubt but maybe in my opinion a bit too good

On several of my songs where the bass tend to reach its "climax" I sort of hear a little of something like noise distortion as it reaches it peak and also!!

PeanutButterJam has indeed made a good point

Comfort is important, after my first ever purchase of an head phone (koss porta pro) I felt a little irritation on my ears, the ear puds are everything but comfort,

Sound wise, I pretty satisfied other than that no more other issues (not confirmed ^^)

Still I'll be waiting or perhaps " Saving " (would be a more appropriate word) for more money for a better headphone as well as an AMP but this time focusing more on comfort without comprising sound quality

Thx for the suggestions though

Appreciated it

On several of my songs where the bass tend to reach its "climax" I sort of hear a little of something like noise distortion as it reaches it peak and also!!

Bro, that's an issue with your amp, or your integrated amp in your player. Certainly not the phones, unless you're listening to it at insanely loud levels.

Do i hear the U word? :grin: (upgrade)

The koss porta-pro is really quite a good piece, I dunno about the comfort issue, but certainly performance wise it punches over its price class. But don't let this affect your impressions, sound is a personal thing, if you don't like the presentation, then maybe you can look for something closer in your next upgrade.