Sign in to follow this  
wwh

CDP Recommendation

Hi,

I am currently using an Alessandro MS-1 and I recently managed to dig out my entire collection of CDs. As such, I was thinking of getting a new CDP to replace my Sony PDCP D-465 (good line-out but got tracking issues). Budget for CDP is around $200-$400.

So far my friends recommend Marantz CD5001 ($2xx) and CD6002 ($4xx) but I was wondering whether the headphone out from these CDPs are good (because I currently do not have budget for good headphone amp)? If so, which one is a better buy? Not sure whether the almost $200 increase in price will result in significantly better quality...

Alternatively, I was looking through Echoloft and XtremePlace, and there were many people selling models from the older series such as Marantz CD6000OSE LE, CD7300, CD 63 KI etc. How do these 'older' CDPs compare with the newer CDPs I mentioned above? Thanks in advance! :))

Although I don't know much about CDPs, for this price range, I recommend you look in the vintage category. Those you mentioned seems like a good start.

I don't think older is better/worse than new, just that new once might have more support for newer formats, e.g. SACD, DVD-A, etc.

First off, I have no personal experience with marantz cdps (I own a Cambridge audio 540cv2, which is great but has no headphone out).

From what I've read, the cd6002 has had very good reviews and for the price is well worth checking out as an entry-level cdp. I think if you search some of our (very) old posts there are some by previous mods talking about the headphone out of marantz systems. from what I recall I think most people agree that they are very good for the price but of course you can do better with a good headphone amp. nonetheless, it will trash an ipod, and I think your current setup as well.

I'd go for a new rather than older model that is no longer manufactured. the technological improvements are more evident in cdps, because they use DAC chips. I suspect some would strongly disagree with this view.