Sign in to follow this  
wen1979

Do You Spend More on Headphones or Amps?

For me, I would like to spend more money on an amp, which have "synergy" with the headphone you love it most. Besides, not only the amp and headphones, you might need to spend a lot on the DAC, soundcard digital output(for PCHIFI system), CD player as well.

As they all say "be objective first then subjective". What does this mean???

As an example - it is zero degrees with strong winds outside and one is attempting to wear a T-shirt to go shopping??? Objectively, wear something that will keep you warm, the styling and colour and pattern etc will be subjective for one to choose.

Objective here means your amp ought to have no problems driving your headphones. But quality power is important. If you have headphones that are difficult to drive, common sense will tell you that it can be difficult to make them sing unless there is sufficient power to push them properly. There is often no problems getting sound out of them, but quality sound is another matter. I have often found that when there is insufficient power, to hear details, I have to crank up the volume, which can result in "shouty" sound and consequently tiring me quickly.

If it can be pushed properly, then the subjective part "kicks in", meaning the sound signature, or the way you like the music to be presented to you.

With iems, the driving part is normally not a problem. But with cans, some can be difficult to drive.

It can be a difficult tasks balancing how much to spend on the headphones and on the amp. For me, I would go for the amp first and find one that produces the kind of sound signature that I like; and with quality power at the top of my requirements. Once I have that, I know that whatever cans I throw at it, it will drive it effortlessly.

The way music is presented to you is for you to choose but if music is choking it can be pretty obvious that some basic requirement may not generally have been met.

However the above is just me!

Edited by Tubeman

Fantastic points made by Tubeman, I agree fully. It is difficult though, to find an amp you like before finding a headphone you like since synergy comes into play I believe. To put this simply, perhaps you've been a fan of the HD650 sound but have only heard it with the NX-33 and do not think it's that great. Then, you try the K701+WA6 and it blows you away even though AKGs have never been your thing. I'm sure both amps provide this "quality power" mentioned by Tubeman, just that synergy between amp and headphone certainly plays a big part in your decision making too IMO.

Do note that my examples are hypothetical, I've not tried the abovementioned combinations just trying to put my point across.

Ok, enough of theory, time to let the ears be the judge. So where and when the next meet? Seem like everyone has a new toys in hand. :grin: I believe the next meet will be the biggest of all. Need to find a really big place.

Sorry :b2t:grin:

Edited by ical

dig up an old thread...

i would rather spend more on amp imo.

but lately, i realized that i spent more on tweaks than amp!!!!!!! :cry::cry:

Warned you already, tweak is very poisonous. :grin:

Same for me. I don't mind to spend more on tweak as it make a very big improvement to my rig and still usable when I upgrade.

Edited by ical

Waaah! Tweaks eating away my allowance. :cry: But it did a great Job showing the Potential of my yamamoto. :rolleyes:

Limited knowledge of me still looking around... But base on experience on buying stuff, get the affordable one and work well tho. hehe...

SO... Shld i start my poison on the headphone amp or my sound system for living room to help e recession? LOL

it really depend on what you need.

sound system the best way is to set up in a delicated room so called "Hi-Fi Room" :lust:

if you want to set up at living room that's fine, if you are king of the hosue :grin:

or the sound system mainly for family entertainment use. :holiday:

i used to have a room for my Hi-fi. but for some reason it tranformed into a store room :shocking:

and i need music to survive & i doesn't want to be king of living room. heaphones rig seem to compromise my journey. :beer:

I 2nd Stan's suggestion. Focus on the rig you'll be able to use MOST of the time. I also have a pair of monitors at home but I can only play them on weekends when I feel I won't bother my housemates or the next door neighbor as my listening extends to 12 midnight while infront of a PC. That is why headphones seems best for me now. :cans:

I also did a lot of tweaking w/ my portable since 40% of my listening time is at home and 60% is while travelling and in the office. Good thing my portable is very good for my taste already. Now focusing on my 40%. :sweat:

@boon

Are you still interested in the Little Country. I can let you audition if you want to. :blush:

Edited by jojo_b2

I 2nd Stan's suggestion. Focus on the rig you'll be able to use MOST of the time. I also have a pair of monitors at home but I can only play them on weekends when I feel I won't bother my housemates or the next door neighbor as my listening extends to 12 midnight while infront of a PC. That is why headphones seems best for me now. :cans:

I also did a lot of tweaking w/ my portable since 40% of my listening time is at home and 60% is while travelling and in the office. Good thing my portable is very good for my taste already. Now focusing on my 40%. :sweat:

@boon

Are you still interested in the Little Country. I can let you audition if you want to. :blush:

:doh: tio aimed. LOL....much as I felt it is affordable and nice... plus point is small... I cannot buy yet as I am still uncertain. on the other side, my pocket too... baby girl coming along the way... next mth :rclxms:

What other things do you connect to. :cans: (as in base in the photo of urs.)

IPB Image

it really depend on what you need.

sound system the best way is to set up in a delicated room so called "Hi-Fi Room" :lust:

if you want to set up at living room that's fine, if you are king of the hosue :grin:

or the sound system mainly for family entertainment use. :holiday:

i used to have a room for my Hi-fi. but for some reason it tranformed into a store room :shocking:

and i need music to survive & i doesn't want to be king of living room. heaphones rig seem to compromise my journey. :beer:

I am no King because staying with mom but when I have money to reno my new house, I will do in living room. Usually I always listen to my studio monitor instead of headphone, because my wife and parent will be screaming for me and I still dunno. LOL.

Edited by boon

:doh: tio aimed. LOL....much as I felt it is affordable and nice... plus point is small... I cannot buy yet as I am still uncertain. on the other side, my pocket too... baby girl coming along the way... next mth :rclxms:

What other things do you connect to. :cans: (as in base in the photo of urs.)

I am no King because staying with mom but when I have money to reno my new house, I will do in living room. Usually I always listen to my studio monitor instead of headphone, because my wife and parent will be screaming for me and I still dunno. LOL.

No worries on the amp. I

Based on the photo (lol!): This is an old setup btw. :grin:

Headphone rig:

Lenovo y410 --> Dac magic --> Irukandji --> Little Country -> HD650

or

Lenovo y410 --> Dac magic -XLR to TRS Connector-> tapco Mix 50 (Mixer) --> CD900st

Speaker rig:

Lenovo y410 --> Dac magic -XLR to TRS Connector-> tapco Mix 50 (Mixer) -TRS to XLR-> nEar05 (Monitor speakers)