ical

Pics: Show Off Your Home Rigs

cal> so you're saying you prefer the ED8 over the D7k?

Definitely. I wouldn't say that it's the best, but there's something magical about ED8 that drew me into music which make it very musical.

Hi iCal,how does it compares to ED9?

Which kind of music it excelled in?

Yet to compare it with ED9 after few days of burned in. Most of my music is vocal, jazz and chill out. So far it doing very well for those. Also ED8 is more comfortable which doesn't has the clamping effect like ED9. But surprising Kidult's ED9 is quite comfortable after usage.

Btw, Stereo has both so you might want to drop by and judge for yourself.

Edited by ical

Definitely. I wouldn't say that it's the best, but there's something magical about ED8 that drew me into music which make it very musical.

Yet to compare it with ED9 after few days of burned in. Most of my music is vocal, jazz and chill out. So far it doing very well for those. Also ED8 is more comfortable which doesn't has the clamping effect like ED9. But surprising Kidult's ED9 is quite comfortable after usage.

Btw, Stereo has both so you might want to drop by and judge for yourself.

Wow I need to have a try for it..Have HD800 and it sound marvelous, but not so useful as it disturb others, it leaks the sound like a speaker :cans: And it does sound lifeless if you don't pair it with something suitable...So far NX-03 done a good job..

Does ED8 sound great even without any amp ,like for example plug into notebook?

Just got my ED8 few days back from Aron, have been following the thread at head-fi on this for a few months, when I finally got a chance to try at Stereo, I hoot.

The ED8 strikes me of as very neutral headphone from Ultrasone, which is unusual as most of their other headphones are quite colored, like the ED9 and ED7. Comfort level is excellent, better than AT and Beyers anytime. Isolation is excellent too, I had no problem listening to my light music with my wife playing youtube thru the computer speakers.

About 3 days of burn-in and they are sounding better... Oh, those who like to know the difference between the ED9 and ED8, here's my take. I have the ED9 and had an ED7.

- The ED8 is much much more comfortable

- The ED8 isolates better

- The ED8 is too transparent and not forgiving to poor recordings

- The ED8 is slightly more difficult to drive

- The ED8 is more balance sounding (IMHO)

- The ED8 is better design for portable with the shorter wire and smaller size design

Edited by Yon

x2 on Yon's impression. Based on my cable cooker, I think you'll need about 500hrs of burn in to see it's true color. Titanium-plated drivers like any metal drivers, takes a super long time to burn in.

Wow I need to have a try for it..Have HD800 and it sound marvelous, but not so useful as it disturb others, it leaks the sound like a speaker :cans: And it does sound lifeless if you don't pair it with something suitable...So far NX-03 done a good job..

Does ED8 sound great even without any amp ,like for example plug into notebook?

HD800 is a great and comfortable can. But a powerful amp is a must to drive it well.

As mentioned previously, ED8 sound really good with just my iPhone. Ideal when I'm traveling. With only 30 ohm impedance, I believe it has no problem out of a notebook. Drop by Stereo and have a listen.

Edited by ical

- The ED8 is much much more comfortable

- The ED8 isolates better

- The ED8 is too transparent and not forgiving to poor recordings

- The ED8 is slightly more difficult to drive

- The ED8 is more balance sounding (IMHO)

- The ED8 is better design for portable with the shorter wire and smaller size design

x 3 on the above. it will turn into a moster after long time burn-in :grin:

whether ED8 or ED9 who is better, i think they are totally difference.

just my 0.20 cents.

just my 0.20 cents.

x2. Based on the last impression, they're totally different cans with same Ultrasone signature. ED8 will be a good companion to ED9.

x2. Based on the last impression, they're totally different cans with same Ultrasone signature. ED8 will be a good companion to ED9.

Sounds like my ESW9 and ESW10..I decide to keep them both as they are totally different and in same league..Both have their own strength..

just my 0.20 cents.

:grin: I prefer your ED9 to the ED8 when we tried them at Stereo last week. But then, the ED8 was out of the box and not burned in yet. Will have to make a trip to Cal's place to try his ED8 when it is fully burned in. (hint, hint, :grin: )

it is not very simple...make my drool at the CEC CDP once i see it..haha..people drool at headphones but i looking for CDP,thus drooling on CDP...:)

ED9 soon to be History :grin:

time to say goodbye to your ED9? :shocking::ppth: