ical

Pics: Show Off Your Home Rigs

Never lie to your wife... :bash:

Just say in a serious tone "Don't ask! I never asked you how much you spent on that LV bag right?" :beer:

Edited by kds5000

Never lie to your wife... :bash:

Just say in a serious tone "Don't ask! I never asked you how much you spent on that LV bag right?" :beer:

Thanks to kds5000, I have upgraded to the GS1000 yesterday. Still wondering why my wife didn't notice the shiny metallic DT990 has transformed into the wooden beauty. Maybe she has given up. Fingers crossed. Don't know how to explain. Maybe will tell her the cans are vintage so not expensive.

Waw, gs1000. Something i can only dream of. :P

er anyone who plays with speakers and such here? I remember ical having a large collection. Heh. Would like to ask what kind of speaker amplifier can complement, say, monitor audio's br2? Im intending to get a subwoofer for it too. It'll be a 2.1 system as its in my room, then when i move house 1 or 2 years down the road and i have a larger room, i'll expand it to 5.1 system. So the amp has to be future-proof :P

also, my source would probably be ipod, laptop or ps3, not getting cdp yet, still deciding if i should. Oh yes, budget for amp would be 500-600, if its a dac+amp, then up to 850.

Waw, gs1000. Something i can only dream of. :P

er anyone who plays with speakers and such here? I remember ical having a large collection. Heh. Would like to ask what kind of speaker amplifier can complement, say, monitor audio's br2? Im intending to get a subwoofer for it too. It'll be a 2.1 system as its in my room, then when i move house 1 or 2 years down the road and i have a larger room, i'll expand it to 5.1 system. So the amp has to be future-proof :P

also, my source would probably be ipod, laptop or ps3, not getting cdp yet, still deciding if i should. Oh yes, budget for amp would be 500-600, if its a dac+amp, then up to 850.

You may wish to try the MF XCANS v8p. It has a DAC inbuilt for direct USB connection. It is a hybrid amp, thus giving the smoothness of tubes and power of solid state in one offering. Loving it with my GS1000. :rclxms:

You may wish to try the MF XCANS v8p. It has a DAC inbuilt for direct USB connection. It is a hybrid amp, thus giving the smoothness of tubes and power of solid state in one offering. Loving it with my GS1000. :rclxms:

hmmm seems interesting. but its a headphone amp? can it drive speakers?

actually, what is the main difference between headphone amp and speaker amp?

also, whats a pre-amp?

thanks a lot for the help...

hmmm seems interesting. but its a headphone amp? can it drive speakers?

actually, what is the main difference between headphone amp and speaker amp?

also, whats a pre-amp?

thanks a lot for the help...

Ops. Misunderstood your question. The headphone amp cannot be use to drive speakers.

The pre-amp is used to amplify the signal from the source before sending it to the power amp. ie,

integrated amp = pre-amp + power amp.

For your limited budget, you might wan to look for used unit. Check out the Xtremeplace marketplace. And there's no such thing as a future proof amp or component. Always hear people saying that but never see it happen in real life. You'll tend to upgrade sooner or later, just like any hobby. Instead of getting now, I'll advice you to save up for a better set for your new home in future. New house, new toy.

Edited by ical

For your limited budget, you might wan to look for used unit. Check out the Xtremeplace marketplace. And there's no such thing as a future proof amp or component. Always hear people saying that but never see it happen in real life. You'll tend to upgrade sooner or later, just like any hobby. Instead of getting now, I'll advice you to save up for a better set for your new home in future. New house, new toy.

oh. actually yea i do intend to get it second hand. but im not really sure of what to get. ive seen cambridge audio's 640 amp on extremeplace, how would that do?

oh yes, when i said future-proof i just meant the output and input ports, should have enough ports for any other equipment i may add on in the future, before upgradetitis hits me and i upgrade the amp itself.

Ops. Misunderstood your question. The headphone amp cannot be use to drive speakers.

The pre-amp is used to amplify the signal from the source before sending it to the power amp. ie,

integrated amp = pre-amp + power amp.

oh, i see. okay, now that cleared up the cloud of question marks.

so i guess i should be heading for integrated amp, since my budget is limited to get everything separately. i still have to take into account the cost of a DAC anyway...

side-track: i was looking at v-dac and dacmagic. which one of these has a smaller footprint and sound-wise has a deeper depth of soundstage? also, i prefer tight bass and extended bass and trebles.

oh. actually yea i do intend to get it second hand. but im not really sure of what to get. ive seen cambridge audio's 640 amp on extremeplace, how would that do?

You can also look at those from Marantz. They tend to have a nice warm signature which will suit most and easy to match. Look good and price well too.

Edited by ical

I think its better to get those AV receiver/amps in your situation. They "can" sound respectable and you won't need to upgrade later when you move on to HT system. Just add more speakers and you're done.

I think its better to get those AV receiver/amps in your situation. They "can" sound respectable and you won't need to upgrade later when you move on to HT system. Just add more speakers and you're done.

Forgotten to mention, most integrated stereo amp only has one pair of output for speakers. You'll need a receiver for multiple output like adding a sub (2.1) or centre and surround (5.1).

Oo.. So that means i should change direction to receiver, namely av receiver?

What exactly is the difference in the audio section between receiver and amp?

Also, whats the difference between connecting a laptop display through receiver onto a screen and from directly to a screen? Or is the video part only beneficial in terms of using blu-ray players, dvd players and such?

But then again, we could connect dvd players direct to a screen, so whats the difference there?

Thanks for the guidance, really appreciate it.

Hmm...

Can I suggest that before you start checking out which receiver to get, perhaps you'd like to audition a stereo vs surround system? They sound VERY different.

Hmm...

Can I suggest that before you start checking out which receiver to get, perhaps you'd like to audition a stereo vs surround system? They sound VERY different.

gosh im confused again. So if you plug in only 2 speakers to a receiver that handles maybe 5.1 system then it only feeds the signal for left and right to the speakers but all the centre, surround left and right and all the bass for subwoofer is gone?

Ive heard both stereo and surround before, but what i figured is that right now my room would be too small to place 5 speakers. So i'll make do with 2 speakers and probably add a subwoofer. Then in future(if my parents decide to move house and get me a bigger room in the new house) i can just add the centre and surround speakers to make it into a surround system.

So, should i be getting a speaker amp first for a 2.1 system (can i add a subwoofer that way?) and in future upgrade the amp to a receiver for surround system?