ical

Pics: Show Off Your Home Rigs

IIRC AV receivers have option to select stereo mode and multi speaker modes, well, at least my poor sounding but highly compact Bose system does. Go to Harvey Norman, Best Denki to check it out. For more premium stuff, Adelphi would be it.

I think i'll probably find a free day to go down to adelphi. Quite interested in the marantz stuff. And maybe cambridge audio.. Then maybe ill go take a look at best denki... Harvey norman doesnt interest me somehow. Lol

the AV receiver can always "combine" the signals for the 5 channels into 2 channels. It's versatile in that sense i guess.

If you like the sound of a surround system, perhaps you'd like to google and check out some home theatre forums. I'm sure there's plenty to read and research on. Won't be much help to you because I'm a stereo guy. sorry :P

Edited by warsurferX

hmm. im expanding to surround in future. but will stick with stereo now anyway. lol. yea ive been doing my little research... probably going for a receiver..

"Should i be getting a speaker amp first for a 2.1 system (can i add a subwoofer that way?) and in future upgrade the amp to a receiver for surround system?"

I think 2.1 or 5.1 system is used for watching dvds. more for impact sound. The eyes following the story as displayed in TV. More for kaboom, explosion sound.

Two channel audio, more for closing your eyes and let your ears do the job.

If your aim is to move to 5.1 eventually, av receiver is more relevant, i think.

actually im still not sure whether i'll move to 5.1, because rooms are getting smaller nowadays anyway, and stationing 5 speakers in a small room will be pretty crammed.

If i get speaker amps, does that mean i have to look for those that are compatible to add on subs as well? what are some examples of speaker amps you'll recommend?

a person's musical taste will change.

Budget will change

priority will change.

there is no be all n end all combination.

There is only a (best matched) combination according to your available resources, preferences.

I am not interested in sub as i don't like heart thumping bass. As such, different people have different preferences :)

Certain speakers have particular strengths in reproducing certain sound

E.g. (but not sure whether the following brands have Home theatre models)

Sonus Faber - Violin

Bösendorfer - Piano

ATC, Harbeth - human voice

I believe speaker manufacturers in designing crossovers or choosing the drivers will make some compromise to tailor the speaker models to perform better in certain frequencies/genres than others. Also, home theatre speakers are slightly different from two channel audio. I am pretty ignorant on home theatre though i think its best to use the same brand for speakers standardisation.

But yup, room acoustics, electronics/ components/ accessories, and power supplies. All three are major contributors to make up to the sound u hear, i think.

PS: I tend to think speakers have a slightly higher weightage in the overall sound presentation (sonic signature) as it is the last component in the audio chain, unless you take in the room as a factor. If so, the room is the most important and your hearing too. (as we age, we lose the ability to discern some higher frequencies). Not to say the rest of the chain are not important. They are important, dependent on your budget :)

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. At this point while im still contemplating between HT and Stereo, perhaps u can give some reco for speaker amps for stereo.

Actually for speakers im looking at the wharfedale diamond 10.1 or monitor audio br2, and i wld have a budget of about 300 to 500 for DAC, around 300 for speaker amp. Not sure if that is sufficient, do advise.

Also i wont mind buying 2nd hand items for the dac and amp, but i'll want to get the speakers first hand. Actually i would like to hear more of the vocals and smooth trebles, coupled with a tight bass, doesnt have to be deep though. I want it to sound musical enough for my music collection but at the same time produce the tinge of impact in movies.

some speaker brands prefer solid state amps. E.g. B&W and Dynaudio

But usually quite a lot speakers put out good sound from valve amps if it can be driven.

For some particular speaker brands, (quite well known for Dynaudio of contour models and above), they are quite difficult to drive. Some had even spent 3x , 5x or even 8x of the speaker price for their amp in order to squeeze the last drop out from the speakers. It is not that speaker is not good, in fact it is so good that it has tremendous potential and scales up well. Horses for courses, i guess.

In general, most hifi shops will pair a suitable amp for the speakers and tailor to your budget. If you like the sound, it is somewhere there. I think most hifi shops will not pair an unsuitable amp since they need to take care of bottom line and should have some experience in their trade. It is better to audit more and gather some samples on where your preference/budget may be.

Go blindly into one component and search for another suitable match after that commitment is usually a slippery slope.

I guessed there will be some mistakes and lessons to be learnt along the way, but in the world of hifi, some mistakes can

be pretty costly..... Your mileage may vary.

Afraid i don't know much about your shortlisted options.

PS: Btw, i think speakers need to run in more than other components in the chain. But if i don't know the seller well, it is a leap of faith afterall.

Edited by jpcc

Haha, the reason i want speakers first hand is cos i wanna experience the run in. How the sound changes to become better. Hmm guess i'll have to go listen for myself then. Student here with no time -.- march holidays coming soon though. Heh

Guest jacj6049

goin to japan in april,osaka,any audio rig i can buy overthere?pla recommend?a LP player(entry lever)?

I need some advice...for hifi.

1) I'm using my dad's old denon receiver, AVR-1200, and a pair of mission floorstanders, and KEF center speaker. I'm experiencing volume imbalance on the right: i.e. the left is louder than right...

Where can I get the receiver's fault diagnosed and repaired? I went to a shop in SLT to repair, but it came back with this imbalance...please help.

2) What is a PS Audio Juicebar II?

3) Does any shop carry Wadia?

4) I need some stax poisoning. Anybody can help with that?

thanks...

Edited by kingston

I need some advice...for hifi.

1) I'm using my dad's old denon receiver, AVR-1200, and a pair of mission floorstanders, and KEF center speaker. I'm experiencing volume imbalance on the right: i.e. the left is louder than right...

Where can I get the receiver's fault diagnosed and repaired? I went to a shop in SLT to repair, but it came back with this imbalance...please help.

It should be cos of this - the receiver is using a cheapo volume potentiometer. Replace that with a quality stepped attenuator from goldpoint/dact/tkd and you should be fine. Wah which SLT shop is this? Must ban man

Memory Lane at Adelphi, basement 1. Good price and service.

2) What is a PS Audio Juicebar II?

It a power distributor with using high quality parts which made especially for audio without degrading sound when multiple plugs are used as compare to conventional version.

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/descrip...ar-ii?cat=power

3) Does any shop carry Wadia?

http://www.wadia.com/directory/asia/singapore-/

Btw, Stereo at Plaza Singapore is using the latest Wadia for their audition.

4) I need some stax poisoning. Anybody can help with that?

You're most welcome to drop by my place in Pasir Ris. If it's too far for you, there's Stax kakis from bedok (eardoc), north (kidult), west (jig_sg) and central (kds5000).

Edited by ical

Alright, many thanks to all that replied...

@noinimod: Thanks...though replacing the pot for could be ex...haha

@ical: Alright! I wait to get poisoned! Could we make arrangement via PM?

Thanks again!