Sign in to follow this  
ical

New Grado PS1000 and improved i series is out

had a listen of PS1000 continously for 1 hour yesterday... now my back and neck area are sore -_-

You auditioned it at Stereo? I much prefer the PS1 sound :)

no, I have on loan the PS1000 & HD800 for several days from a kind soul :wub:

The bowls on PS1000 actually make it more comfortable to wear than the PS1. Strange thing is I did not hear overwhelmed bass with PS1000, everything is good except that the midrange is not as lush as the PS1 in my memory... just need more time with it :)

The PS1000 sounded too similar to the GS1000 to me - exaggerated highs and bass (like a "V" shaped EQ curve). Anything with recessed mids I can't stand... :yuck:

Of the 2 statement cans you're listening to right now, I much prefer the HD800, especially through the Zana... :thumbup:

The Zana just works magic with Senns - even my pedestrian HD600 sounds wonderful through the Zana... :party:

Was the PS1000 you listened burned-in? Because it doesn't sound anything like GS1000 except for the soundstaging/imaging. The sound quality of PS1000 also better than GS1000, a lot more presence and body. The highs and bass are well-controlled and smoothed or textured, no piercing highs or boomy bass; the bass is still HUGE in my favorite recording ("The great yellow river" -KG1020-2) and am pleasantly surprised the PS1000 does control it very well.

And yes, I feel that the HD800 has sweeter midrange compared to PS1000. :beer:

I hope to listen to one can for a week, then go back to other for another week, see what would I miss ;)

I see that you have RS1, flat pads on RS1 (I can't listen with bowls anymore - too thin and shrill sounding) and paired with Brimar CV1985 (brown base) is a combo made in heaven :thumbup:

Was the PS1000 you listened burned-in?

I see that you have RS1, flat pads on RS1 (I can't listen with bowls anymore - too thin and shrill sounding) and paired with Brimar CV1985 (brown base) is a combo made in heaven :thumbup:

Heard the PS1000 before and after burning-in - didn't like it then. But tastes change AND it wasn't driven through the Zana - may go and audition it again. But right now, the HD800 and Zana is the dynamic combo for me... :party:

The Brimar CV1985 and Grado RS1/MS Pro doesn't do it for me leh... :no: I've read elsewhere that this pairing is heavenly, but somehow too much micro detail and information translates into "noise" for me - especially for rock music. Very fatiguing to me. And that's after just 15 minutes... :rclxub:

For the RS1/MS Pro, my favourite tubes are the RCA VT229, Tung Sol 6SU7GTY and 1944 Sylvania VT229. Actually, these are my favourite tubes for all my cans, with the Tung Sol having the edge for my HD600 and HD800 - it justs seems to match Senns perfectly... :rclxms:

You seem to be posting quite a bit lately.... coming back into this hobby? :whistle::rclxms:

I got the PS1 from her. :shifty:

I know... :smoke:

I was asking if she auditioned the PS1000 at your place... :doh:

The Brimar CV1985 and Grado RS1/MS Pro doesn't do it for me leh... :no: I've read elsewhere that this pairing is heavenly, but somehow too much micro detail and information translates into "noise" for me - especially for rock music. Very fatiguing to me. And that's after just 15 minutes... :rclxub:

One man's meat is another man's poison :shifty:

A bunch of girls gathered at my place and I let them listened to both HD800 and PS1000, they have zero interest in headphone-fi but they all prefer PS1000 to HD800 for the sound, and like HD800 for the comfort. After knowing the prices, they are like :shocking::rclxub::bash::sweat::think: As expected huh.. :rolleyes:

I had very favorable initial impression for HD800; only after listening to PS1000 for a few days and when I went back to HD800, I missed the transparency and the airiness of PS1000. They seem lacking in HD800 and they are simply different sounding. One thing I don't like about PS1000 is the shorter headphone cable (compared to other Grados) and that the grado extension cable also degrade its sound quality :ppth:. But I still stand behind my impression that the vocal/midrange of HD800 is fantastically good and more intimacy. HD800 also has bigger soundstage over PS1000. So far I too like the Tung Sol 6SU7GTY and 1944 Sylvania VT229 with both cans, sound more "authority" :))

You seem to be posting quite a bit lately.... coming back into this hobby?

Slowly coming back to headphone listening :yeah:

I got the PS1 from her. :shifty:

:cry:

A bunch of girls gathered at my place and I let them listened to both HD800 and PS1000, they have zero interest in headphone-fi but they all prefer PS1000 to HD800 for the sound, and like HD800 for the comfort. After knowing the prices, they are like :shocking::rclxub::bash::sweat::think: As expected huh.. :rolleyes:

I had very favorable initial impression for HD800; only after listening to PS1000 for a few days and when I went back to HD800, I missed the transparency and the airiness of PS1000. They seem lacking in HD800 and they are simply different sounding.

Slowly coming back to headphone listening :yeah:

Bet you that all your girl friends saw when they looked at the HD800 and PS1000 were 2 LV bags... :whistle:

Wah, like that must go and listen to the PS1000 again lah! :drool:

Not to take anything away from the PS1000 but is your HD800 with the stock cable? If it is, you haven't heard it performing at its best yet. A good recable does wonders for the phone - my personal favourite is the Mundorf silver gold cable, but you can choose a cable to suit your preference... :party:

Good to have you back! :prettyprincess:

Not to take anything away from the PS1000 but is your HD800 with the stock cable? If it is, you haven't heard it performing at its best yet. A good recable does wonders for the phone - my personal favourite is the Mundorf silver gold cable, but you can choose a cable to suit your preference... :party:

After updating to the latest Cara 9 for Linn DS, HD800 w/ stock cable win hands down :party:

HD800 is so sensitive to the change of source. I can't believe it made big difference simply by updating the firmware... transparency, silky smooth, REAL, imaging, resolving, effortlessly, engaging, musical.... you name it :rclxms:

After updating to the latest Cara 9 for Linn DS, HD800 w/ stock cable win hands down :party:

HD800 is so sensitive to the change of source. I can't believe it made big difference simply by updating the firmware... transparency, silky smooth, REAL, imaging, resolving, effortlessly, engaging, musical.... you name it :rclxms:

Ah... wait till you recable it... :drool:

And wait till you try it through a TT... :party:

Oh yah, if you're shopping for a flagship can (and haven't bought the HD800 already :whistle: ), you should give the Beyer T1 a listen.

Aron has it for audition at Plaza Sing :thumbup:

Edited by kds5000