mouz

Group Buy: Y1 DAC front/back panel

Hi all, as per the subject. This is a group buy for the Y1 DAC front/back panel. Face plates will be made in plastic (no worries about frying the board while plugging in power adaptor), will probably choose opaque or transparent plastic. Below is a rough representation of what the face plates will look like while taking reference from the mini3 face plate group buy the last time. Price wise will be $15+($6/divided by no. of participants)

IPB Image

Terms & Conditions

1. Payment to be made via bank transfer. (Account no. will be PMed to you)

2. Collection to be made anywhere between Jurong East and Tanah Merah MRT between 1730-1815 hrs at my convenience.

3. No pulling out of group buy after payment has been made.

4. 1 set consists of one front and one back panel

Participants:

1. mouz (1 set) PAID

2. stephen chung (1 set) PAID

3. Heady (1 set)PAID

4. blippster (1 set) PAID

5. adn6244 (1 set) PAID

6. direcow (1 set) PAID

Total: 6

Price per set: $15+($6/6)=$16.00

Price per set: $15

26/2/09: Quote by seller, $SGD15/set (consisiting of both front/back panel), $6/acrylic panel (to be shared among participants). Good news is seller is willing to absorb the cost if there are more than 10 sets.

25/3/09: Seller waived material costs, cost of face plate is now $15

Edited by mouz

Ok noted :)

Quote by seller, $15/set (consisiting of both front/back panel), $6/acrylic panel (to be shared among participants). Good news is seller is willing to absorb the cost of the acrylic sheet if there are more than 10 sets. Will finalise cost after the grp buy has closed. Since now it's 3 sets, it's $17/set at the moment. Price will go down if there are more participants

Edited by mouz

no worries about frying the board while plugging in power adaptor

There are no worries about frying anything when connecting an external power source to the Gamma 1 DAC. ;)

oops sorry, got mixed up with the mini3, in any case, better be safe than sorry. Below is extracted from amb's site.

In the γ1, the case is connected to circuit ground via strips of exposed ground plane (along the sides of the circuit boards) against the case slots. If you have a metal front panel, you should make sure that the RCA jack's outer conductor is electrically isolated from the panel to avoid compromising the galvanic isolation provided by the coupling transformer, and deterioration of common-mode rejection ratio (CMRR). The hole diameter specified for the RCA jack is oversized for this reason.

I would be more concerned about the long term durability of polycarbonate end panels then I would be about a theoretical increase in common mode noise. ;)

True, actually, most of us know about these issues. I've been using the mini3 with the acrylic face plates for awhile and I've got no complains. The amp gets stuffed beside my phone and I use it on my way to work everyday, not much interference so far. But of course, I must agree, metallic plates are still the best choice but due to us being not very resourceful and CNC milling companies ignoring our pathetic request for quotes for 6 pairs of face plates, we got no choice but to downgrade to using whatever resource we have now. And of course main thing is that it's cheap, that's the reason I started DIY in the first place. No denying it kinda gets expensive sometimes as you get more and more involved in it

Speaking of which, if anyone has any sources to CNC milling services for small scale jobs like ours, do let us know yah? We've been pretty unsuccessful so far, any help in this area would be very much appreciated.

Edited by mouz

Try Cam Expert.

They are located in the US so shipping cost may be a problem but their prices are pretty decent and Heinz is a very nice guy to work with.

(Maybe ask him if he will send the panels in a USPS small flat rate priority mail box, international cost is only $12)

Hi Guys, wonder if you received my PM about the money transfer? BTW, grp buy has closed. Maybe I should make it more clear and official the next time, sorry!

Hi Guys, just to let you know, we'll be getting our face plate done in clear acrylic. Will look something like the mini3 face plate below.

Sorry guys, change a bit, I just remembered the last batch of mini3 face plates were solid black. So we're gonna use the same type of material to match the mini3

Edited by mouz

Face plates are in, collection can be arranged anywhere along the MRT line between Jurong East and Tanah Merah MRT, preferably after 520 and before 620. Thanks! :) Listening to Mozart Piano concerto No.5 with it now. To describe it, I'd say it's smooth, lush and relaxing to listen to. :)

IPB ImageIPB Image

Guys, forgot to update, the guy who did the face plates waived material cost. So the cost of each face plate is now $15. So to those who already collected, please feel free to contact me for a refund. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.