Sign in to follow this  
nofing

AT W5000 brief impressions

Having the hd650 on hand with me now, (Thanks jojo for loaning it to me!) I must say it sounds better on my setup than the w5000. I guess system synergy plays a big part and it's something I've learnt in the past few weeks. Also, it seems OTL tube amps do go better with higher impedance headphones. With the yamamoto, I didn't really enjoy the hd650 either.

Matching is everything regardless of price. :yes: Don't be surprise that with the right match, a budget rig can beat another that cost many times more. :smoke:

Guess I've to learn that the hard way. Oh well.. Will get a chance to see how the w5000 is supposed to perform tomorrow.

@Nofing

Be ready to to buy a Yamamoto + W1000 combo. Cals rig really something. :sweat:

Having the hd650 on hand with me now, (Thanks jojo for loaning it to me!) I must say it sounds better on my setup than the w5000. I guess system synergy plays a big part and it's something I've learnt in the past few weeks. Also, it seems OTL tube amps do go better with higher impedance headphones. With the yamamoto, I didn't really enjoy the hd650 either.

same here kept the HD650 and K701 and K1000 but sold off the W5000.

the W5000 had beguiling vocals but soundstage was a little to "tight" for me.

its more about personal preference, I can see the W5000 hitting the sweet spot for those especially into female vocals.

all these were amped by the GCHA, Singlepower MPX3 and at one time RS Raptor.

For me the w5k sounded too lean and compared to my w1k then I most certainly prefered it. But it could be the lack of burn in or improper equipment matching which led me to sell off my w5k. Looks like hd650 and k701 are 2 headphones that withstand the test of time for most of us. :P