Sign in to follow this  
HerbalTurtle

Any comfortable closed full-sized headphones with decent sounds?

I'm looking for a comfortable closed full-size headphone, normally listen to classical, folk and some pop or rock. I'm looking at ATH A950, AKG K272 and BD DT770 these three headphones.

I'm not quite planning for an amp currently, may go for a DAC/AMP in the future, portable probably coz not much room for a desk amp~~

I wonder if these headphones would fit into my taste of music and future plan for a not-so-expensive DAC/AMP, coz I read through some posts saying that the K272 and DT770 will definitely need an amp to give decent sounds, also do not know much about the A950. I listened to the A900 but do not like the sound, muddy and narrow, dun know if the A950 would have much improvement on the sounds~?

Would any friend please give some suggestions on these headphones, or any other headphones from other brands since I dun know much about other brands' models, as well as some DAC/AMP suggestion, best for a portable one~

Thank you very much~~ :grin::grin::grin:

Edited by HerbalTurtle

full-sized and portable... kinda hard to find common ground.

but for full-sized, like ical says, the denons are your best bet.

I am looking forward to the new Ultrasone Edition 8 which just might do the trick as a portable and a nice home headphone while being closed.

But either the ATH-ESW9 or ESW10JPN would also be in consideration. I know they are smaller and somewhat tight new but they do loosen up and are fairly closed inside to out. They do allow sound in more than out. I have had both and still own the ESW10JPN.

I am looking forward to the new Ultrasone Edition 8 which just might do the trick as a portable and a nice home headphone while being closed.

But either the ATH-ESW9 or ESW10JPN would also be in consideration. I know they are smaller and somewhat tight new but they do loosen up and are fairly closed inside to out. They do allow sound in more than out. I have had both and still own the ESW10JPN.

Yes, true, coz I currently own an ESW-9 now, but I really can't stand the tight clamping when I wear spectacles. So somehow I am turning to a full-sized headphone though losing some portability.

It's alright for me coz mostly I will use earbuds outside but only take headphones to libraries where not much portability is needed~

Do check out Denon D2000. It sound good even without amp. And very comfortable.

Thanks thanks, I wil go try Denon someday, but how about the three headphones I mentioned above? How do they perform without amp, or with a little portable amp? like iBasso D3~

Edited by HerbalTurtle

Izt all others headphones are not quite suitable for amplesss use? or it's just not worthy to use without an amp for headphones at that price range? like with an ipod video or laptop?~

Izt all others headphones are not quite suitable for amplesss use? or it's just not worthy to use without an amp for headphones at that price range? like with an ipod video or laptop?~

Actually you can find low impendance cans such as Denon, Sony, Ultrasone, Grados, etc. They would sound ok on a headphone out but pairing it with a good AMP brings it to another level, which in most cases "GREAT". :cans:

Aside from Denons. You can try Ultrasones. They are made to be portables due to design they are much larger than Audio Technicas ES series but they are light and not as big as Denons or beyers. They are also closed cans like the denons that makes them better for portable as they block an amount of ambient noise but not growling Bus engines or your MRT ride. But the most of them fit snugly on me. I like the Pro-line series due to the Valour Pads (Similar to the DT880 pads). :grin:

The only thing is I am not sure of the Price Points for the DT770 or the AT950. So you have to check it out. :blush:

Go to stereo at causeway as they carry both the Denons and ultrasones too. For Beyers Jaben carries the line. In the end you have to decide what Sound signature you like and most importantly if the fit and comfort is for you. No use buying a headphone you have to put down after 20-60 mins use. ;)

Edited by jojo_b2

proline 750s are definitely good for your kind of music. But i wouldnt go as far as to say that they are portable.

**and they are better than 770s by a mile.

Edited by weinerproc

proline 750s are definitely good for your kind of music. But i wouldnt go as far as to say that they are portable.

I was thinking something around Hi-Fi line. But I'd go for the the Prolines for the Valour Pads. I remembered I can listen to them 6 hours straight w/o removing them when I'm at the office. I have since changed to ESW10 for my office use. But the AT ES series "FIT" is a hit and miss for people. :blush:

Btw, some one is selling a Pro-line 750 for a good price on a different forum. =)

Edited by jojo_b2

Actually you can find low impendance cans such as Denon, Sony, Ultrasone, Grados, etc. They would sound ok on a headphone out but pairing it with a good AMP brings it to another level, which in most cases "GREAT". :cans:

Aside from Denons. You can try Ultrasones. They are made to be portables due to design they are much larger than Audio Technicas ES series but they are light and not as big as Denons or beyers. They are also closed cans like the denons that makes them better for portable as they block an amount of ambient noise but not growling Bus engines or your MRT ride. But the most of them fit snugly on me. I like the Pro-line series due to the Valour Pads (Similar to the DT880 pads). :grin:

The only thing is I am not sure of the Price Points for the DT770 or the AT950. So you have to check it out. :blush:

Go to stereo at causeway as they carry both the Denons and ultrasones too. For Beyers Jaben carries the line. In the end you have to decide what Sound signature you like and most importantly if the fit and comfort is for you. No use buying a headphone you have to put down after 20-60 mins use. ;)

Cool, seems another good choice that I must go for a try. How about the price of proline 750? maybe u can help PM me to know if not possible to post here? thanks a lot, dew~

I just checked the ultrasone product line, how about the HFI series of this brand? compare to the PRO series? thanks for helping coz Im really dumb at these~

I was thinking something around Hi-Fi line. But I'd go for the the Prolines for the Valour Pads. I remembered I can listen to them 6 hours straight w/o removing them when I'm at the office. I have since changed to ESW10 for my office use. But the AT ES series "FIT" is a hit and miss for people. :blush:

Btw, some one is selling a Pro-line 750 for a good price on a different forum. =)

Oh, I saw it, but I think I do need to try on Ultrasone cans then decide, thanks a lot~ :grin:

hfi s are not as great unless they are modded. even then they have a completely different presentation than the pl 750s. 750s got a speaker like presentation with loads of soundstage. one word of caution, dont try an unburnt pl 750 as its going to sound like sh*t. it takes about 100 hrs of burn in before it starts showing its character

hfi s are not as great unless they are modded. even then they have a completely different presentation than the pl 750s. 750s got a speaker like presentation with loads of soundstage. one word of caution, dont try an unburnt pl 750 as its going to sound like sh*t. it takes about 100 hrs of burn in before it starts showing its character

hehe, thanks a lot, maybe a second hand would be easier? do you know the original price of pl 750 by the way?