a6laze

Ear impressions

Hey blacklistor,

I experienced the same feeling during my 1st and 2nd time making ear impressions, however during the 3rd time, i felt no such pain. The pain could also come from the substance sticking onto the remaining ear wax.

Guest dragonboy

i have done my ear impression at jaben before. it was a very painful and memorable (not in a good way) experience. there was slight bleeding.

the following week after i did the impressions, coincidentally there was an annual medical check up conducted by the military camp i was in. thankfully, the bleeding was due to abrasions on the wall canal. and nothing serious.

and it took one whole week for my ear to feel normal again. for that entire week, my ear felt violated and uncomfortable enough for me to stop listening to my iems. note that i listen to my iems without fail everyday. it's like a daily vitamin i must partake.

my question would be, whether or not is it a common thing to feel pain during ear impressions.

i understand there's a different pain threshold level for everyone. But we're not talking bout who is able to withstand the highest magnitude of pain here. just something painful enough to certify that the feeling is beyond uncomfortable boundaries. I'm sure many would be able to justify what constitutes the meaning of 'uncomfortable' and 'pain'.

i have these questions squirming in my head after i realize that some seem to just feel uncomfortable and others seem to experience tormenting pain. is it due to the inconsistency of the executor (of the ear impression) or is it due to every individual's characteristically different ear canal?

if the answer is due to the inconsistency of the executor, i'm going to make certain the next time i get my ear impressions done at a certified audiologist.

it didn't occur to me (i have no idea why it didn't) until i read a post by canoncal on this thread. who's going to be responsible if any eardrum is being ruptured? i wonder if jaben will take the responsibilities. afterall, no law abiding contract was signed or recognised.

but nevertheless, i must say jaben did a pretty decent job in the ear impression. i.e. the customs fit pretty well except a very slight miscue in the left ear. i have read several comments about their customs fitting. these people had their customs impressions done at jaben. strangely enough, most have perfect fit in the right ear but slight miscue in the left ear.

alrighty, i hope someone out there has an answer to my question. thank you all!

My friend had a pretty bad experience at jaben while doing his impression. Maybe he was one of the first few guinea pigs :grin: . Now he still have phobia when he need to do his ear impression. :sweat:

After careful research, I had mine done at Digisound. Only slight pain & some discomfort for only abt 10 mins. Cost me about $64 for both ears. But no pretty Gal leh.... only a middle aged auntie ... still charge me same price. :cry:

done mine at digi sound..... :cans:

Highly recommended :thumbup:

pretty gal! :wub:

cheap thrill :drool:

if you know what i mean...........

Wah digisound still as ex as ever? I think as long as the customer doesn't move much whilst taking the impression, the accuracy of the impression should be there.

Hey blacklistor,

I experienced the same feeling during my 1st and 2nd time making ear impressions, however during the 3rd time, i felt no such pain. The pain could also come from the substance sticking onto the remaining ear wax.

but the pain i experienced was more of like the eardrum was gonna rupture any moment.. it didn't feel like the substance sticking onto the remaining ear wax kinda pain..

by substance, i suppose you're referring to the the thing they pump in after they pushed the sponge-like thing in?

and the guy at jaben didn't manage to push the sponge-like thing once and for all in. he had to u know keep checking where the sponge is and keep changing positions. aaah. torture!!

hello dragonboy,

YES. im pretty much in your friend's shoes. i have a bad phobia of doing ear impressions now. maybe that's why im not tempted to upgrade to jh13 pro. HAHAHAs.

So I called the digi sound audiologist company and they said they could only do the ear impressions once and once I walk out of the building with them, I'd have to pay to do another set even if the IEMs come out to have a bad fit.

Is this standard practice for all the audiologists here? I've never done customs before so I'm kind of wary of the whole thing. Westone could keep redoing the iem molds until I get a good fit within the first few months or so, but that would be pointless if I had to pay the audiologist each time for that.

Also, have anyone actually done ear impressions with places other than digisound and jaben? I hear people recommending others but can't seem to find anyone that have actually made customs with them.

My friend had a pretty bad experience at jaben while doing his impression. Maybe he was one of the first few guinea pigs :grin: . Now he still have phobia when he need to do his ear impression. :sweat:

After careful research, I had mine done at Digisound. Only slight pain & some discomfort for only abt 10 mins. Cost me about $64 for both ears. But no pretty Gal leh.... only a middle aged auntie ... still charge me same price. :cry:

I also have bad experience at Jaben when getting my UM56 done. The process is very torturing to my ears. The pain stayed for more than a day. Kachui who went with me don't have this problem. Maybe I've a tender ears. I still have phobia going into custom, worry that the process might damage my hearing. If really want to go into custom in future, I'll pay for a good audiologist. It not worth taking the risk. Once damaged, there's no way to repair.

Edited by ical

Depend which branch you go to. For me, i think i met the pretty gal.

i heard that bite block will not be provided if doing ear impressions at Digisound.

Any idea what i can use/bring as my bite block?

thanks

seriously, used an apple for when u took the impression?? :lol::lol:

Aiyo.. was thinking of taking a bite to spend on a UM56, but the process of making the ear impression seems more painful physically than the heartpain of spending....

Just go in expecting some pain, esp if you have eardrums that are sensitive to pressure... Mine was just very very slight discomfort, biting my own hand was probably more painful.

Tempted to do mine too but only have 2 concerns: physical pain plus heart pain for the money....

Anybody has better suggestion of good place for less physical pain (pain for money spent no choice lah).....