[J]-ohn

Westone UM3x vs Westone 3 (aka W3)

Sorry to OT from the main topic.

The sound is really different, as most of my friends prefer the W3, while I prefer the UM3X for the more balance sound.

If you are into pops and rock, I think you will like the sound from W3 over the UM3X. W3 is warmer, the bass is more solid (you can feel the difference), and the most importantly, it is ALOT BETTER in built quality than the UM3X!

I am into classical music, and after hearing the UM3X, I prefer it over my W3 (though W3 is still better than my old UM2).

I am just a little puzzled why Westone decided to downgrade the external appearance of the UM3X. You can see the rough cuts of the shape in some areas of the earphones and the 2 earphones has slightly different "rough-cuts" that really looked like they were "hand-made" but in a rush. My old UM2 had better built quality than UM3X considering the premium paid for the UM3X.

So to decide which one to buy, I would say (IMHO only, so please test with your own ears):

Buy Westone 3

------------------

+ if you like a fuller bass (quite significant difference compared to UM3X)

+ if you like warmer sound

+ if you are listening more pops and rock music

+ if you wish to see better built quality for the premium price paid

(they are really very well made, and I think it is one of the best in quality compared to other premium IEM such as Shure530)

Buy UM3X

------------

+ if you like more balance sound (can really feel that the bass is less than W3)

+ if you are like me - more into classical?

+ if you don't mind the really rough external appearance that seems unfair for the premium price paid

(can really see uneven surface in the black plastic! and the wiring in the 2 earphones are in different style!)

+ if you wish to be low in profile (because it looks exactly like UM2 when you are wearing it)

So the final conclusion will be, they are both TOP IEM and really maintain the Westone standards in terms of sound quality. But to decide on which one to buy, test BOTH set and decide when you are happy with the sound you like!

Cheers!

Mark

Edited by Mark_Tan

Again, I am basing on my ears with my old Westone UM2 and Westone 3, which other ears may hear differently.

When I first had my UM2, they sound really clear and balance with very good noise isolation. Before UM2, I had the Shure e3C, but the base is stronger in UM2 than the Shure e3C (not fair comparison as UM2 uses 2 drivers while e3C uses only 1 I think). The fit is top notch as well and really comfortable to wear and hear for my flight (I travel alot). Cannot get used to the fit of e3C and I felt that the cable of e3C will give you lot of wiring sound when it rubs on your shirt when you move around. No problem with UM2 or W3 - really good noise isolation!

Westone 3 sound even clearer than UM2 (my personal opinion), especially the fuller bass. Tried to listen to my old UM2 after hearing from the W3, and I thought the sound becomes less sharp on my UM2.

If you are into classicals, you can hear more different instrumental sounds from W3 than UM2. Again, not fair comparison as W3 has 3 drivers, while UM2 has 2.

Anyway, like all the buddies mentioned, to each his ears.... you have to listen to them to decide which sound signature you like.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by Mark_Tan

Thanks Mark. Sounds like the Westone 3 are superior at both ends of the scales (expected at the price!).

Some update for those who pre-ordered the UM3x.

Westone will be splitting the shipment to a few and the earliest shipment should arrive this week , follow by 2 more next week.

We will contact pre-ordered customers once they arrive.

Thank you for everyone's patience during this delay. B)

Sorry for asking, but what were the transparent blue earpieces?

has the new batch arrived????? :no:

Landed...

Nope..... juz check with Aron, most likely to be in by early next week :cry:

I meant landed in Singapore, not necessarily at SE.

I meant landed in Singapore, not necessarily at SE.

There are UM3x to be found in SG... A few that are in SE are already reserved, picked up mine on Wed at the other Westone dealer...

There are UM3x to be found in SG... A few that are in SE are already reserved, picked up mine on Wed at the other Westone dealer...

You can say Jaben Network, no problem, the word is not banned or anything. ;)

Nope..... juz check with Aron, most likely to be in by early next week :cry:

The second and third batches landed safely with the fourth batch slightly delayed, however I am doing everything I can with Westone to rush them to Singapore.