Sign in to follow this  
somebody

basic headphone home system

hey ppl!

my first post here. =)

recently my ears have had the chance to listen to some really good sound from a $1.6k stereo system that i tried at a shop at plaza singapura. might not be the price that some of you guys refer to as "entry level", but it was amazing enough to me! =)

but i thought about it, and realised that it may be too troublesome to set up my room just so as fully enjoy a stereo system(sound proofing etc), so i've come to a conclusion that a headphone setup would be suitable and practical.

would be really happy to own a headphone system to sound just as good as the 1.6k stereo and don't mind buying a second hand system and am hoping that both the fact that it would be second hand and that it being a headphone system would allow me to get an entry level headphone system for around 6-800.

any suggestions? =)

hi,

6-800 secondhand can get you a really decent setup already. If i'm not mistaken, you were hearing a Bose setup at plaza singapura?

Perhaps you can try going down to one of the headphone shops and have a listen to various headphones first. The shop owners are generally very friendly. Main reason for this is that every headphones/brands sounds differently. If you cant really hear the difference, then i would suggest you start off with an even lower budget and get cheaper headphones first. Then try to appretiate the difference between each headphones. By doing this, you will discover which type of sound/headphone you prefer. :grin::grin:

Btw, do you intend to bring the system around with you, like on train rides or overseas trips? If yes, then you will be going into a portable setup. If you only intend to enjoy at home, then you will be aiming at a home setup.

Other than headphones, you might want to look for a decent source(cd player, mp3 player etc.) and possibly an amplifier. One of the reasons i dont encourage you to get an top-of-the-range headphone now is that in order for the headphones to present their full bloom, u will need a decent source and amplifier. Its getting extremely popular nowadays to play music from the computer. Especially when connected to an Digital to Analogue Converter(DAC) integrated with an amplifier. In fact, you can even port over the DAC if you wan to go into speakers next time.

They are many more things to write about and many people may give different suggestions. You may want to dig up threads in the forum for more information.

If you find this too time consuming, perhaps you can tell us what type of music you normally listen to and we can try to recommend a suitable setup for you. Not forgetting your current source as well and whether you like big boomy bass or piercing shrills of treble.

Have fun :yes:

Geez, TS one question can cost him up to few Ks. hee..

TS willing to spend up to 800 worth of headphone. But need to tell everyone what kinda genre you fancy on. E rest of the question is what rko had said before. Portable or no? Room or living room set up. Computer listening or CD player? hee

okok =) let me try to answer so i can get better advice.

i think it'll most probably be a room(non portable) setup.

am thinking of 6-800 for the WHOLE system. not the headphone alone. haha... =)

genre: mainly jazz(instrumental & vocal), classical(instrumental and vocal) and other misc stuff...

and yes, would prefer to get a good source, cd player instead of a laptop with mp3s. currently got no source am starting from scratch! so would appreciate any advice! thanks!!!

Here is a thread that suggests many options that fit into this range.

It is on a US forum called Headcase and head case is a good description for them.

The thread is "what would you get if you had to downsize to 500$" which is near your 800$ goal.

If you had to downgrade your entire rig to $500?

Edited by slwiser

6-800$ for the whole setup is abit low i guess?i calculated the cheapest and sound good setup,cdp let say $200~ amp $300~ headphone u left $300...but jazz and classical need headphone like k701 maybe?so u need another $500~ i guess...maybe u change the budget to about 1k or so~then i guess u can get a decent setup.

One thing I learnt in this hobby is the cost is not cheap to get decently good sound. If you go for a budget rig, you'll tend to upgrade in a very short period of time and end up spending more. Try to go for something average which will cost you around $1.5k for used.

Edited by ical

Guest dragonboy

One thing I learnt in this hobby is the cost is not cheap to get decently good sound. If you go for a budget rig, you'll tend to upgrade in a very short period of time and end up spending more. Try to go for something average which will cost you around $1.5k for used.

Absolutely agree! Most decent sounding set-up does cost around that price range. How we know???? We paid expensive lessons passing the stage you're looking at. :cry:

Absolutely agree! Most decent sounding set-up does cost around that price range. How we know???? We paid expensive lessons passing the stage you're looking at. :cry:

why expensive lessons? could only sell the equipment off very cheaply? sell them to me then! haha