Thanks Aron for the excellent picture.

Collected my ER-4S customs at Stereo today.

Was pleasantly surprised at the speed at which they were done--just 2+ weeks!

This is my first pair of customs and I must say I'm quite impressed with it.

It comes with a neat little frequency response chart, a compact black pouch and a very nifty earwax removal tool that has tiny brushes affixed to it!

The quality and workmanship of the custom shell to my untrained eyes are impeccable; and needless to say, the aesthetics, feel and build of the clear ES2 cable are such a great delight. Instead of being placed along the cable as in the universal version, the 102 ohm resistor--a very tiny one-is situated in the custom shell itself.

Initially, I had some difficulty inserting the customs but once I got the hang of it, I didn't want to take them out. The fit was good and balanced between both ears. Very pleased to get it right the first try. :)

So here comes the big question: does it retain the sonic signature of the universal version?

My estimation is that it is around 80+% true to the original.

Make no mistake about it; I do enjoy the sound of this. But there is a spike in the 5khz- 10khz region that's not present in the original--even the accompanying frequency chart which I compared with the chart on the Etymotic website proved my conclusion. As such, there is a very slight sibilance but it's one that's not grating to my ears. However, if possible, would Aron be so kind as to make an enquiry on this matter to the manufacturer on the the reason for this discrepancy? Thanks!

This is my only minor gripe with the sound quality; the rest of the frequency spectrum were largely true to the original and did not disappoint me. There's even an enhancement in the bass, which I guess has got to do with the better fit and seal of customs. It is now just right for me.

As for comparison with customs from other companies, I'm not in a position to do so as this is my first.

All in all, I would heartily give this particular customs route my humble endorsement; plus you get the great service from Aron. :)

Go ahead, take the plunge!

Edited by a6laze

Any idea what the turnaround time might be for a customer in the USA? I figure at least a week each way for the packages to be sent back and forth, but what about the actual time for work being done?

However, if possible, would Aron be so kind as to make an enquiry on this matter to the manufacturer on the the reason for this discrepancy? Thanks!

Sure.

Any idea what the turnaround time might be for a customer in the USA? I figure at least a week each way for the packages to be sent back and forth, but what about the actual time for work being done?

Both UM and us FedEx our packages and therefore SIN - CHN and back in total is probably about 4 days, the rest will depend on the almost of people on the waiting list, the longer the list the longer the wait.

Nice work! :))

UM3X also can be done right? Custom shelling.

Cheers :P

No problem, however this will void the warranty given by Westone.

Make no mistake about it; I do enjoy the sound of this. But there is a spike in the 5khz- 10khz region that's not present in the original--even the accompanying frequency chart which I compared with the chart on the Etymotic website proved my conclusion.

A summary of what UM said. Due to the material used for reshelling, Westone wire and the alignment of drivers based on your ear impressions, a slight (less than 3dB) change is unavoidable.

A summary of what UM said. Due to the material used for reshelling, Westone wire and the alignment of drivers based on your ear impressions, a slight (less than 3dB) change is unavoidable.

I guess then it can't be helped.

Thanks for e speedy response.

awaiting for the user to write up a review on reshelled + driver upgrade for the UM2... pretty please... :yes:

This user is in camp and will only be able to write a review towards the end of the month.

awaiting for the user to write up a review on reshelled + driver upgrade for the UM2... pretty please... :yes:

I'll try my best to get a review done asap, currently having a busy and taxing schedule due to the new intake.

By the 26th, I should be able to have something done up.

Sorry for the delay in review.