Guest dragonboy

no more free postage.

How about a special opening promotion for the NEW Plaza Singapura outlet??? :prettyprincess::prettyprincess:

My Mini Review-Reshelled D-Jays (Pictures to be added if I have the time)

It began from a dream

Sometime in January, I spoke to uberburger101 about my dream that someday I can make my d-jays into a customs. Little did I know that it would become a reality so soon. :DD

@uberburger101, someday dynamic drivers can also be reshell. Keep the dream alive…

Why I finally pulled the trigger.

It was quite funny how things work out actually, the timing was right as my home rig was finally settled down, and my d-jays started giving me problems, I checked with Jaben and RMA would take minimum of 2 months. So praying that my driver is working properly, I was quite sure it was due to the cable connection as similar thing happened to my d-jays extension cable.

What I learnt during the time when I had no iem.

During the time I sent my d-jays iem for reshelling, I had no other spare iem to use and I dug out a sanyo earbud from home to use. The sound was not so bad when I use with my sansa clip(with the ipod was unbearable). Anyway, I realize the importance of isolation was for me, every morning train ride to work was a torture, I could hear all the freaking noises around me. :angry:

First impressions

I must admit got buyer remorse when Teng tried to put in the customs into my ears for the first time. Quite tight and maybe is because I was used to listening to the earbuds, I felt the reshelled djays lack that airy and clarity as compared to before. After burning for a week(at nights when I sleeping). Much more clarity and the customs definitely has more details than before reshelling based on my sonic memory.

Fit

My first pair of customs so there is nothing for me to compare against. The fitting was quite good by my standards.

Isolation

With no music playing and the customs in my ears, I could hear and converse to Teng at the shop but once I started playing music cannot hear any outside noises. I put the test on my daily train rides and I am very happy with the isolation, only when in between songs change can hear ambient noises that were acceptable to me. My sansa clip does not have a numerical volume indicator but the volume I use to listen in my office(using d-jays iem) is now the volume I listening to on train rides. When I reach office, I will turn down the volume some more.

Comfort

At different times of the day got different level of comfort for me. Morning it is a bit tighter than the rest of the day. I preferred the comfort of the xs tips of my d-jays but I lost quite a bit of isolation using the xs tips. The trade off in comfort for the added isolation was worth it based on my standards. I can feel my customs in my ears but they do not really irritate/distract me from the music.

Build Quality

The whole package

What surprise me was that UM returned my d-jays back to me including the tips. I am quite amazed at their skill of how they extract the drivers. Really impressive when I look at my d-jays that they sent back and could not figure out how they managed to do it.

The frequency response graph was a nice touch but I could interpret so quite useless for me. :sweat:

The carry case was small and compact, I was expecting like those westone-like case but I guess some people might buy a proper case to store their customs. I’m still quite happy with the pouch that UM gave, cause it can easily fit in my pocket.

The cleaning tool that came I think is quite standard stuff, nothing much to talk about.

Overall Comments

One thing interesting to point out is that UM put the filters of the d-jays into the customs(I’m not sure if it removable/replacement or can just use without the filters) So for Jays owners planning to reshell, my advice is to change your filters before sending the iem over.

Considering your drivers are already burnt in, there is no need to burn in the shell unless for a psychological effect.

Considering your drivers are already burnt in, there is no need to burn in the shell unless for a psychological effect.

I was thinking more on the es2 cable. :whistle:

Just got a PM reply from Aron, it is safe to change the filters myself. B)

Hi, about your reshelled djays.. how do you feel the treble, mid and bass after the reshelling?

Shall reply to my PM i got here.

I wanted to go down to Jaben to compare but been busy and no time to go down. Anyway based on my very much sketchy sonic memory, the bass really very hard to tell the difference due to a few reasons. 1. d-jays is very very bass light to begin with. 2. I dont really listen to bassy songs.

Treble wise. Sorry, I dun have a keen sense of hearing for treble. I can only tell if it is piercingly sharp/bright and thankfully after reshelling didnt encounter this.

Mids. Maybe not as forward agressive as before, a bit more mellow? Really not very sure.

Ok i shall talk about what i somewhat sure about after the reshelling. Slightly more detailed and clarity, slightly more airier for me. Also lower listening volume. Finally using the reshell d-jays I could hear a bigger difference between the h/o of the sansa clip vs rockbox 5.5g ipod. 256kps VBR, Losseless ALAC and downloaded tracks the difference in sound quality are now slightly more easier to tell. Need to buy more CDs :sweat:

As always with customs and reviews. YMMV

Cheers.

did anyone do the re-shelling for their UE TF10Pro?

I was thinking of re-shelling and want to hear some opinions before jumping into it. I really like my UE cables but was told that we have no choice but to use Westone ones.

Not really you have to stick with the ES cable. You can tell them you want the UE Slot instead of the ES slot for your custom.

IS IT?!!!

Gosh, so many people telling me different things. When I called stereo one said can one said cannot.

Haiyo... so is can or cannot? ahahahah....

I think you better call Stereo and look for Aron. He's the only one that can confirm your question.

We usually do the Westone slot of UM custom to avoid confusion, it is also recommended by UM that Westone ES2 wire sounds better on the custom.

So it means that we can still use the UE cables and the guys at UM will just include a UE slot right?

A little review on the UM2 + mid range driver

The initial sound that came out of this baby was a letdown. everything was everywhere. After a couple of hours running in though, things took a turn for the better.

Firstly, the bass has better quality and quantity, going down deeper than UM2.

The customs started showing more details without being too detailed and giving an even wider sound stage than the UM2.

The mids are now so much richer and fuller, making it an excellent phones for acoustic pieces, however, the much boosted mids made the lack of highs stand out even more.

Will be writing further in detail when I've got the time

Sorry for the much delay to those who wanted to hear how it sounds. =)

I wonder the custom can use null audio cable?

it should, to my knowledge the customs seem to be using either the UE or the Westone plug