Stereo_Electronics

Share your audio tweaks

ahhh...so many tweaks. Not to detract the positive effects of all these tweaks, for I too am using many different tweaks, and found them to work well with my rig. But just wondering if there is an end in tweaking. I mean how quiet can the noise floor be in a system? And how much tighter, smoother, or more dynamic, can the treble, mids, or bass can be achieved in a system? Is it possible that with the many tweaks, we may have maxed out the possibilities and potential of our systems and subsequent tweaks may not be as effective any longer? :huh: ...just wondering aloud...

there is no end to it....

i believe we have maxed the possibilities and potential of our rigs so that adding some other tweaks may or not have any more effect...

for me i going for balanced and let c wat maxed out single ended tweaks compare to fully balanced rig...

Sometimes when I think about all the tweaks and how much they cost, wouldn't it be better to use that money to upgrade the source? After we have "maxed" out the source, then we may decide to play with tweaks? Then again, Eric is right, it never ever ends. So probably the best would be to be ignorant of what could have been. And of course, one good way is to never ever speak to or read what Calvin has to say! :grin: Stay away from the Adelphi, Headfi, hifi forums, etc etc etc.... Well, they do say that ignorance is bliss and in this case wealth!

Still kind of new in all these poisonous stuff. I am glad maybe I don't have as good of an audiophile ear as most people here. I guess what I am saying, for myself at least, the tweaks and upgrades end when I can't hear any difference anymore. So, some tweaks goes on further for those blessed with sensitive ears and some don't go as far because the audible differences is no longer........well......audible.

X 2 jig_sg comment. I am ...IGNORANT in this hobby. Hahahahaha.

Still kind of new in all these poisonous stuff. I am glad maybe I don't have as good of an audiophile ear as most people here. I guess what I am saying, for myself at least, the tweaks and upgrades end when I can't hear any difference anymore. So, some tweaks goes on further for those blessed with sensitive ears and some don't go as far because the audible differences is no longer........well......audible.

X 2 jig_sg comment. I am ...IGNORANT in this hobby. Hahahahaha.

I think the fact that you are in this forum and searching for the right rig for yourself, shows that you do have a discerning ear. Anyway, like you, I thought I would be satisfied with a simple rig when I started my journey into the audio world...but the more I listen, the more I crave for better sound. It is a slippery slope...once you started on it, kinda hard to come to a screeching halt.

Moreover, nowadays, with the media and internet, it is hard to stay ignorant forever... :unsure:

We enjoy our music on maxed out Hi-Fidelity set up :grin: how to do it??

come to the end is still budget concern. a decent CDP (2-4K) comapre to 20+K CDP, who is the max??

using less than 2K to tweaks the decent CDP to max it potential to about 60-65% of 20+K CDP performaces, is it worth the $$??

to me, i think is value for $$. using tweaks whether audible or not, we wont know untill we try.....

it is very difficult to stay ignorant la.... otherwise u may as well use this classic Rediffusion :P

IPB Image

Agreed with Kidult that tweaks can be more economical than upgrading the main equipments in our rigs, such as the CDPs. Moreover, these tweaks such as the RR77, powerchords, footers, etc., are transferrable and can be used to tweak our future upgrades. :thumbup:

erhmmm, i try to view from another perspective.

Two parts actually:

1) We always have boundless desires but finite resources.

To improve one's system, the fun is the journey itself.

However, there is some generic approach (i think) to assessment

but usually we need to set a baseline of reference.

Setting the baseline, I would think largely depends on the source

for sonic reproduction which depends on your musical taste.

(i would put musical genre or the sound making instrument as

the source for baseline reference, rather than the electronics

or the medium of transmission)

Musical taste differs for different people and from time to time, we also shift our interests.

Pop, metal, then maybe vocals, jazz or classical.

Those are the usual progression as one ages :)

I believe it is logical that most audiophiles lean towards acoustic (non artificially amplified musical

instruments) e.g. vocals, strings - violin, guitar, woodwind - trumpet, sax, percussion - piano, drums.

This will avoid additional variables like a power cord affecting the electrical guitar amp or synthesized music.

If your preference is electronic music, more power to you....

Anyway, if you prefer jazz, go to some jazz pub, classical-> esplanade, vocals -> concert.

Instrumental, e.g. guitar, go and learn guitar.

Develop a sense of timbral accuracy baseline. Know what u like. Know what is natural.

2) I do think tweaks are sometimes relevant to systems matching. What works in this system may not

be that useful on another. One classical example is Naim (but they are never strong in soundstaging anyway)

where they produce their own tweaks or upgrades. And their proprietary stuff (Hi line, Fraim) really work

great for their own make.

The second concern is design integrity. I.e. if an American amp is tune to produce powerful bass

rather than wide soundstaging, it is unreasonable to tweak it or transform its character to something else.

E.g. usually Americans may prefer Jazz while Europeans are avid classical music concert goers.

The design emphasis will show accordingly.

3) Some tweaks exist for quantifiable measurement. However, marginal utility (price performance ratio)

and the main reason why you enjoy this hobby can only be justifiable by yourself.

One analogy is photography. One can argue on the sharpness and bokeh of different lenses but what touches

you may be the picture composition or the message behind the picture, rather than the technical superiority

or accuracy. E.g. Henri Cartier Bresson may be one of the most respected photojournalist but his photos

may never be as sharply focused as your nokia handphone shot.

Just my two cents.

PS: me? nah, my ears are not that sensitive, luckily :)

To cut story short, this hobby is addictive! There's no ending to upgrades regardless of component or tweak. No matter how high end your system is, there's always something higher, better, newer or nicer. As somebody mentioned, you'll never know unless you try it. That's the fun and sad part of audio. So...just buy lah!! And consider later. :grin:

Edited by ical

Sometimes when I think about all the tweaks and how much they cost, wouldn't it be better to use that money to upgrade the source? After we have "maxed" out the source, then we may decide to play with tweaks? Then again, Eric is right, it never ever ends. So probably the best would be to be ignorant of what could have been. And of course, one good way is to never ever speak to or read what Calvin has to say! :grin: Stay away from the Adelphi, Headfi, hifi forums, etc etc etc.... Well, they do say that ignorance is bliss and in this case wealth!

Exactly what is going through my mind now. Does $1000 worth of tweaks + a $500 CDP bring it to the level of a $1500 CDP? It might very well not, so I'd rather get something decent for a source before deciding to play with these tweaks. So many powercords, plugs, footers etc that it's hard to prioritise.

erhmmm, i try to view from another perspective.

Two parts actually:

1) We always have boundless desires but finite resources.

To improve one's system, the fun is the journey itself.

However, there is some generic approach (i think) to assessment

but usually we need to set a baseline of reference.

Setting the baseline, I would think largely depends on the source

for sonic reproduction which depends on your musical taste.

(i would put musical genre or the sound making instrument as

the source for baseline reference, rather than the electronics

or the medium of transmission)

Musical taste differs for different people and from time to time, we also shift our interests.

Pop, metal, then maybe vocals, jazz or classical.

Those are the usual progression as one ages :)

I believe it is logical that most audiophiles lean towards acoustic (non artificially amplified musical

instruments) e.g. vocals, strings - violin, guitar, woodwind - trumpet, sax, percussion - piano, drums.

This will avoid additional variables like a power cord affecting the electrical guitar amp or synthesized music.

If your preference is electronic music, more power to you....

Anyway, if you prefer jazz, go to some jazz pub, classical-> esplanade, vocals -> concert.

Instrumental, e.g. guitar, go and learn guitar.

Develop a sense of timbral accuracy baseline. Know what u like. Know what is natural.

2) I do think tweaks are sometimes relevant to systems matching. What works in this system may not

be that useful on another. One classical example is Naim (but they are never strong in soundstaging anyway)

where they produce their own tweaks or upgrades. And their proprietary stuff (Hi line, Fraim) really work

great for their own make.

The second concern is design integrity. I.e. if an American amp is tune to produce powerful bass

rather than wide soundstaging, it is unreasonable to tweak it or transform its character to something else.

E.g. usually Americans may prefer Jazz while Europeans are avid classical music concert goers.

The design emphasis will show accordingly.

3) Some tweaks exist for quantifiable measurement. However, marginal utility (price performance ratio)

and the main reason why you enjoy this hobby can only be justifiable by yourself.

One analogy is photography. One can argue on the sharpness and bokeh of different lenses but what touches

you may be the picture composition or the message behind the picture, rather than the technical superiority

or accuracy. E.g. Henri Cartier Bresson may be one of the most respected photojournalist but his photos

may never be as sharply focused as your nokia handphone shot.

Just my two cents.

PS: me? nah, my ears are not that sensitive, luckily :)

Thanks for that, very well thought out reply. I've taken a liking towards acoustic music and vocals since this hobby but I still listen to a great deal of pop. There's only a certain number of times "The Rose" and "Fields of Gold" can be resung though. :P

Staying ignorant is my excuse :P my anti-poison attempt :)

Different strokes for different folks :)

So trying to stay away from super poisonous snakes, musical "cones", magical "footers", psychedelic beams from japan....hahaha

At the end of the day, I keep reminding myself "It's about trying to enjoy the music". The million dollar question is, what does it take for you to be able to enjoy your music :)

what does it take for you to be able to enjoy your music,i guess on happy days when we listen music,more shiok,if the whole day had been stressful and bad...even the best music setup you have,i still have no mood to even on the setup and listen seriously

I think we all can agree that "it is all about the music". I believe most of us who are into this hobby are gadgets crazy as well. Well, at least I know I am. When I was crazy about photography, I would browse the net to look at the latest equipments and add ons, but at the end of the day, photography is all about composition and some knowledge about lighting, apertures, etc. Equipments are important, but ultimately it is the skills and experience, and passion of the photographer that produce a good picture.

Not exactly an accurate analogy, but what I am pointing at is sometimes we are too caught up with upgrading our equipments and getting tweaks for our system, that we actually stop listening to music, instead we are focusing too much on the "sound". A decent audio system and decent recording are important in my opinion to enjoy music. But once you have built your system within your means to a point that you can enjoy your music, then you should be contented with what you have and enjoy your music. Yes, ignorant is bliss, but nowadays it is hard to stay ignorant as some have commented; we will always know there is something better out there; the point here is to be contented with what we have.

Having said that, I think we cannot deny that it is always fun and exciting adding tweaks and upgrading equipments. And remember that not all tweaks are expensive; if they are affordable, it is worth giving a try. If it brings improvements to your rig, I say by all means go for it. And it is great to have forum such as this where we can share our experiences with tweaks and equipments; and I am glad to have made friends in this forum and share our tweaks around to try on our systems. By doing so, we know what tweaks work or don't work on our system, before investing in them. :))

And as one of you stated, "different strokes for different folks", if you can enjoy music merely from a radio, good for you. And if you are a gadget freak and enjoy upgrading equipments and adding tweaks and have the means to do it, great for you. Live and let live, I say. :grin:

For me, I have built my system with all the tweaks to my satisfcation, and spending more time listening and enjoying my music. I know there are better systems out there, but the most important is that I am happy with my system and enjoying my music now. :thumbup:

Edited by Kachui