Sign in to follow this  
tpcml

Upgrade path from Cowon D2+

wow always wanted to know how this pairing goes.

wats the vol set on d2?

are the footprint size of rsa/d2 similar?

I set the vol at 50 and 9 o'clock on the P51 with low gain

The P51 is smaller than the d2. Its like the size of a matchbox but thicker

Also, is there a sound signature that is added?

The P51 is already very transparent to me, there is no added sound signature. It sounds very neutral

Edited by Dio

I set the vol at 50 and 9 o'clock on the P51 with low gain

The P51 is smaller than the d2. Its like the size of a matchbox but thicker

The P51 is already very transparent to me, there is no added sound signature. It sounds very neutral

So how is the sound different when you listen with:

1) just the UM3X paired with Cowon D2 - no amp in between

2) UM3X paired with Cowon D2 + the P51 amp?

Any changes to the bass, soundstage, highs and lows, etc?

listening to prodigy - breathe

without amp - bass is slightly boomy, mids are smooth

amp - lower bass is tighter and not so boomy, cannot feel any difference in the mids, slightly wider sound stage

sarah brightman - time to say goodbye

without amp - Sarah and Andrea's voice sounds so smooth

amp - much smoother voices

I would say there is a slight improvement in overall sound. Sorry dun know how to describe the sound I hear very well :P

get a ipod/ipod touch and a custom, say Livewire. should fit yr budget

save for a few months, pop in an iBasso amp.

Then you will see angel of music.

Edited by weikiat

I have the same setup as the original OP, Cowon D2+ & the UM3X with detachables. Any advice on how to:

- Improve this setup?

- Amps recommended?(Portable preferably)

Cheers! :cans:

I am also using UM3X with D2+, what you find lacking with ur current setup?

I did a test between a few of my FLAC files and a low 128kb copy of those files. Currently,

im not hearing as much difference in details as i like it to be, i was wondering if using an amp

would at least provide the UM3X its desired power, if not.

I may go down to Stereo next week to try with a couple of their amps and do the AB test again,

but any comments/advice? :yes:

The um3x are not that difficult to drive and the D2+ are more than enough to power them. Unless you are listen to really quality production, you can hardly hear any difference in the SQ. There is no line out of the D2+ so getting an amp for it may not help.

The thing is, the D2+ internal amp is very good already. I can hear differences between FLAC and mp3 for most songs. There are some which I can't, those are usually pop with a lot of midi sounds.

I can even distinct some FLACs which were poorly ripped/converted.

The only sound enhancement I have turned on is Mach3Bass, eq and others are all off

Side qn, what tips are you using?

The thing is, the D2+ internal amp is very good already. I can hear differences between FLAC and mp3 for most songs. There are some which I can't, those are usually pop with a lot of midi sounds.

I can even distinct some FLACs which were poorly ripped/converted.

The only sound enhancement I have turned on is Mach3Bass, eq and others are all off

Side qn, what tips are you using?

so i guess i need not spend at all...

im using the small comply foam tips... excellent isolation and seal IMO... :cans:

have u tried shure olives? It opens up quite a lot but loses a bit of isolation. I am using the shure grey flex sleeves, they are even more opened but isolation and comfort is not as good as the olives

have u tried shure olives? It opens up quite a lot but loses a bit of isolation. I am using the shure grey flex sleeves, they are even more opened but isolation and comfort is not as good as the olives

Currently i use my setup mostly on the move, and we all know Singapore isnt a quiet city;

construction and cacophony every 20 metres. I cant afford to lose much isolation of sound,

and comfort too if possible. I heard the foam tips absorb some of the bass frequencies but

i dont really have problems with that. I will just try getting more varieties of HQ music and

try to make one copy of LQ 128kb of those files.

Still itchy fingers might go down to stereo to try those portable amps just for fun :cans:

Give the olives a try, 5bucks only if i remember correctly, and it doesn't lose a lot of isolation compared to the complys. Its not only the bass, the treble too gets absorbed. Plus, its not that uncomfortable if you are already used to the complys