Sign in to follow this  
zerospace

Headphones for gaming

Hi ! I am new to the world of headphones. Never listened to a headphone before. I used a sony earphone (cheapo one that come free when buy cd walkman) to try and play game out of curiousity. Wow the amount of details it gave me, never heard with my speaker. But i cannot differentiate left and right OR front to back. So i cannot detect if enemies are in front or behind or left or right.

Can a headphone give me 3D positioning? Help me find my enemies in game thru sound ? My budget quite tight around $120. Can only stretch abit more.

i using audio techica pro 6 for gaming...it is studio phone...work well for me.but cant get in singapore for this model.maybe get studio phone?surround sound i get for CS and dota....

i have had hd201 and now ad500...

its quite different , and if you had to game for long hours....ad500 is quite comfortable to use...and the details it provide are much more adequate than hd201

about the sound quality , i believe...every music headphones are better than so called "gaming" headphones..dont got fooled...

im not sure about ad300 , i think its quite the same as my ad500..

hd555 also quite nice...

i think soundstage is needed in determining your enemies position..so...

my opinion is , better grab some open headphones rather than closed

Edited by devilz

want to give ath pro6 a try?i am selling it as i using my hfi now for gaming...i always love close can for gaming,not open wise.as the enclose sound able me to even hear the breathe or the footstep of the enemies better

I vote for HD555 too.

Clear presentation of the overall sounding, example the atmosphere and naturalness of the sound production will give gaming so much more exciting. More real, but not too impactful. :D

open if its gonna be home only... but if you got for LAN and stuff, may i suggest a closed set? my ATH A900's work very well for gaming, let my friends try it during gaming and i never get it back till we go home lol.

oh. just saw your budget... haha i do believe u might get a better deal if you go and ask for a pair with good soundstaging and imaging. Soundstage makes your hearing environment sound "wider" and thus you have a larger range for positioning the sound source, and imaging to fine tune the precise location of the source..

frankly it boils down to how used u are to a particular set of cans. i can play l4d with portapros perfectly well.

Then again l4d has awesome sound positioning.. Even with crappy speakers.. But i think that most gaming headphones like razer's don't do much to help your gaming.. I definitely agree that a better soundstaging would totally help in enemy positioning..

3d emulation on certain soundcards do not really help a game much if the game itself has crappy 3d sound effects.. Take for example Call of Duty 4 has awesome 3d effects compared to other FPS shooter..

HD201 or HD 515 both really good for gaming. Neither have mics built in if that's what you're looking for. Sennheiser has some with the mic built in the PC model. A friend of mine has the 515's though and they're pretty rad for gaming.