jason_

yes. the question. "recommend me a USB DAC"

as above. I am actually looking at the FubarII. Using a Westone UM1. Source will be my laptop. Player is foobar2000. Any other contenders in around the same price range? And what is the estimated price of a Fubar II with the converter from RCA to 3.5mm?

Or should I just save up more and get Fubar III? Does the amp matter much since I am using a UM1. pardon me I am still a noob.

Thanks.

Edited by jason_

I have absolutely no idea about how the FubarII or III sounds like. However, from all the posts that I have sifted through in the past, it seems like the Zero DAC is one of the best "bang for buck" DACs around, since it is easily mod-able, comes with its own headphone amp, and provides a pretty decent sound.

As for the cables, I do not think that you'll need a specific RCA to 3.5mm wire. Instead, what I'd recommend is to simple purchase a pair of RCA cables from LHS Electronics@SLT and then simply buy an RCA to 3.5mm adaptor that you can find easily in any electronics stores.

I have absolutely no idea about how the FubarII or III sounds like. However, from all the posts that I have sifted through in the past, it seems like the Zero DAC is one of the best "bang for buck" DACs around, since it is easily mod-able, comes with its own headphone amp, and provides a pretty decent sound.

As for the cables, I do not think that you'll need a specific RCA to 3.5mm wire. Instead, what I'd recommend is to simple purchase a pair of RCA cables from LHS Electronics@SLT and then simply buy an RCA to 3.5mm adaptor that you can find easily in any electronics stores.

I am now beginning to swing over to portable USB DACs and Amp. I have read about the GoVibe Petite. Any other DACs?

why not the ibasso series that SE is carrying?

Can consider the ibasso D3, really worth the buck you paying for!

Some Specs

Main Features:

- Wolfson WM8740 DAC Chip + TI PCM2706

- USB signal input, provides I2S interface for decoding

- 4ch Amp architecture

- Line out function, allow it to work as a standalone USB-DAC

- 2-Setting Gain Switch for impedance matching (+3/10dB)

- Powered by 5 AAA batteries. With 5 AAA alkaline, the play time is longer than 100 hours

- Measures 55*21*92mm, and weighs 130g

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by blackmouth0

why not the ibasso series that SE is carrying?

Can consider the ibasso D3, really worth the buck you paying for!

Some Specs

Main Features:

- Wolfson WM8740 DAC Chip + TI PCM2706

- USB signal input, provides I2S interface for decoding

- 4ch Amp architecture

- Line out function, allow it to work as a standalone USB-DAC

- 2-Setting Gain Switch for impedance matching (+3/10dB)

- Powered by 5 AAA batteries. With 5 AAA alkaline, the play time is longer than 100 hours

- Measures 55*21*92mm, and weighs 130g

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thats some sick poison. How much does that retail for? I am kind of tight when it comes to money. I am just a 17 year old :(

Thats some sick poison. How much does that retail for? I am kind of tight when it comes to money. I am just a 17 year old :(

Retails for $319 at SE. Price/performance it's hard to beat iBasso range.

Retails for $319 at SE. Price/performance it's hard to beat iBasso range.

D3 owner here. :party:

gotta agree it is a very very fine amp+dac for its size.

do drop by stereo for a audition. nothing beats hearing the magic it can produce for yourself. :grin:

D3 owner here. :party:

gotta agree it is a very very fine amp+dac for its size.

do drop by stereo for a audition. nothing beats hearing the magic it can produce for yourself. :grin:

I agree that an audition is a must. but its the 5AAA which puts me off. The D2 attracts me with it's Li-Polymer. :D

I agree that an audition is a must. but its the 5AAA which puts me off. The D2 attracts me with it's Li-Polymer. :D

haha you opposite from me. i cannot stand built in batteries. cause if got anything wrong with it especially after warranty will be very troublesome to replace.

well using 5AAA, the battery life of 100hrs lasts like crazily long. (if u use the energizer lithium batteries think can last 300hours)

the plus factor is that if you are afraid of running out of batteries, just carry 5AAA batteries as spare in your bag.

and pico is even greater than the D3 if you got the $$$ :D

thats evil. really evil of you. I have a feeling i will burn all my red packets on my DAC. :(

If you thought the Pico's amp section is good... wait til you hear the DAC. I'm not helping, am I. :innocent:

haha you opposite from me. i cannot stand built in batteries. cause if got anything wrong with it especially after warranty will be very troublesome to replace.

well using 5AAA, the battery life of 100hrs lasts like crazily long. (if u use the energizer lithium batteries think can last 300hours)

the plus factor is that if you are afraid of running out of batteries, just carry 5AAA batteries as spare in your bag.

I require mobility.

If you thought the Pico's amp section is good... wait til you hear the DAC. I'm not helping, am I. :innocent:

Stop poisoning me a innocent person! I am dying with the poison! both of you are poisoning me!!!! :cry:

Edited by jason_

yup, the 5 little batteries can last you for a very long while! maybe more then 100 hrs. And really worth the money!

If you get those come together with (li battery), normally they will hit the charging life (1000 cycles) once the warranty is over, and trust me, you will have hard time finding the battery. Even you found it, it will cost some bomb!

And mostly those built in battery don't last long!

Stop poisoning me a innocent person! I am dying with the poison! both of you are poisoning me!!!! :cry:

I have not tried the DAC section of the D3 so I cannot comment on the sound. I think it will keep you happy though, if you don't try the Pico that is. :P