dalethorn

Beyerdynamic DT-1350 review

Comparing the DT-1350 to the Sennheiser HD-800 and Beyer DT-48E (2011 version), the DT-1350 has a very pronounced emphasis in the "AWWWWWW" region of the midrange, while the HD-800 has a mild emphasis in the "EHHHHHH" to "EEEEEEE" region, and the DT-48E a mild emphasis about halfway between those two. The headphone I have on hand that most closely matches the midrange sound of the DT-1350 is the Sennheiser PX-100-II (modified to remove the center of the foam cushions), and while the PX-100-II has less of the midrange emphasis than the DT-1350, the DT-1350 has greater clarity and high-end extension which is to be expected given its price range.

Bass with the DT-1350 is similar to the HD-800, but somewhat stronger in the 40 to 60 hz region. People who like "full strength" bass should like the DT-1350, since the bass is strong without being excessive or boomy. Bass detail is very good with the DT-1350, and is strong and clear down to 32 hz or lower.

The DT-1350's highs are smooth and comparable to the HD-800. One of the things I compared was part of Beethoven's 9th symphony, 4th movement (Solti/Chicago/1972) following the first vocal break where there are some triangle sounds that resolve very well on both headphones.

My overall conclusion is that the DT-1350 sounds more forward in the midrange around 400 hz or so compared to the HD-800 and DT-48E, yet has smooth and detailed bass and highs, and so will likely appeal to people who find headphones like the HD-800 too laid back and polite, or too bright in the upper midrange. One thing I especially like with the DT-1350 is how the bass has some of that "reach out and grab you" visceral impact, which few headphones can duplicate and still be fairly tight and detailed.

I can't comment on the design of the DT-1350 for studio or professional use, but the thin cord doesn't seem strong enough to withstand the kind of yanking and tugging that occur in those arenas. Comfort is good from the first moments, since the headband has a wide range of adjustment, the right amount of pressure to keep the headphone secure when moving around, and soft earpads that don't pinch the outer ear parts.

The 80-ohm impedance of the DT-1350 didn't seem to be a factor in my tests, since I got good volume and essentially the same frequency response whether playing from iPod, iPad, or headphone amp from the iPod "line out" dock connector.

In addition to the pop music tracks listed below, which I used mainly for detecting weaknesses or other problems with the sound, I played a wide variety of genres (Jazz, Diana Krall, Bill Evans Trio; Bach organ, Biggs; Beethoven 9th, Solti CSO; Chopin, Moravec; Reggae, Marley, Tosh; Country, Haggard, Yoakam; Verdi, Domingo; Sinatra and Bennett; Punk, Germs, Fear, Sid Vicious, Social Distortion; Medieval, Madrigali, Medieval Babes; Trance, Mylene Farmer, etc.)

The following are some of the music tracks I tested with, and the main features I listened for with those tracks:

Blues Project - Caress Me Baby (piercing guitar sound, handled well).

Cocteau Twins - Carolyn's Fingers (guitar string detail and quality, very good).

Commodores - Night Shift (bass detail, very good).

Germs - Forming (raw garage sound, excellent).

Lick The Tins - Can't Help Falling In Love (tin whistle, very clear and clean).

Lou Reed - Walk On The Wild Side (bass impact and detail, excellent).

REM - Radio Free Europe (drum impact, very good).

Rolling Stones - She's So Cold (bass impact and guitar sound, very good).

U2 - With Or Without You (bass slightly boomy; high-pitched instruments/sibilants handled well).

Van Morrison - Into The Mystic (bass, moderate).

Who - Bargain (voice trailing off: "best I ever had", good vocal harmonics).

thanks for the review...sure beats the t50p :rclxub:

I have heard that Beyer switched over to the 1350-type earpads for the T50p, and also changed the headband pressure, so maybe the new T50p's sound more like the 1350. I would hope so, since they offer the T50p now in all of those designer styles.

nice review. Having owned the DT-1350 myself, i do agree with the mid range emphasis and bass of the dt1350. However, IMO, i had a little issue with the imaging and separation of the headphones. Although true that it has the entire frequency spectrum, it just doesn't quite separate as well as larger counter parts such as the hd600, dt880...

nice review. Having owned the DT-1350 myself, i do agree with the mid range emphasis and bass of the dt1350. However, IMO, i had a little issue with the imaging and separation of the headphones. Although true that it has the entire frequency spectrum, it just doesn't quite separate as well as larger counter parts such as the hd600, dt880...

That's a good observation. My impression when I had them (they're in the Philippines now) is that certain things were overwhelming other things, and the way they designed it, I couldn't tell if one thing was causing the other. So if I couldn't separate certain instruments maybe it was just a frequency response glitch or resonance, or maybe a phase problem caused in the components next to the drivers - maybe someone will take one of these apart and try changing the wiring or whatever else is in there and see what happens.