ablaze

My new source arrives tomorrow!

Is it considered as a source or headphone amp/DAC?

its technically just a soundcard, BUT I like to think of it as a DAC too, cos it allows me to externalise the DAC on the soundcard that would've been in the "noisy" PC environment and bring it far away, sounds pretty sweet so far

remarkably, out of the 1/4" headphone jack on it, it sounds pretty darn good already wub.gif

Is it for a mac or PC?

Compared with a PCDP/CDP how does it sound? Or do you need more burn-in time & more listening sessions? happy.gif

no comparisons yet. but if you ask me, I'd say it'd best at least a low-mid-end CDP biggrin.gif

one of these days i'll bring it over to rameish's place to compare THEN we'll know for sure smile.gif

oh, its supposed to have drivers for both PC and Mac

That's good, just in case I need one in the future happy.gif

How's your new headphones? Bright enough for yah? cool.gif

You probably would like the AKG K1000 then! Then again I haven't heard the CD3000 yet.

Heard it on my friends home set up with a Krell CD transport, Meridian DAC & McCormack Pre/power amplification. Fantastic! Bass is plenty, it just needed a very lengthy burn-in. Detail & seperation is quite good too.

okok. stop right there!

I swore that the CD3000s would be my last pair of cans!! and since I swore..I think I have to keep them!..for at least a couple of months! cool.gif

BAD NEWS:

the Audiophile USB is going back. there's a problem with the USB card. after a long while if I don't use it, the sound just cuts off and windows doesn't detect it. and I hafta turn off and turn on the card again..I changed motherboards just to try and fix it. but no go. sad.gif sigh. dammit. all that wasted money shipping back and forth huh.gif

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE:

I've got my eye on an EVEN better sound card! check it out, the RME DIGI96/8 PST!

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/digi96/digi96ps.htm

dynamic range of 112dBa! laugh.gif from the guys at AVS, this card's as close to the USD$900 Lynx 2 as it gets .. at half the price!

and it seems the consensus too, at AVS forums that this is as good if not better, than most mid-fi setups. smile.gif

user posted image

'meish: shu'up ph34r.gif

I think what Ramesih & myself don't understand is that for the kind of money you are spending on soundcard hardware you can easily afford a dedicated mid-fi stuff which is more flexible & more upgrade friendly.

Still, different folks different strokes I suppose & I can still relate to your enthusiazm though! smile.gif

more flexible? I beg to differ!

how can you beat downloading music for free, or ripping your CDs into the harddisk using EAC and lossless, and having huge playlists of CDs at the click of button, playing in virtually bit-perfect mode using ASIO/kernel streaming.

How can you beat being able to use your favourite headphones ALL the time, whether its for music, games, movies, everything.

now THATS flexibility cool.gif