PPkiller

xp audio vs vista audio

has anyone tried comparing audio in xp to vista?

i did.. using direct sound and asio4all in both os...

with ibasso D1 and sennheiser HD280pro to keep me company while i wait for something else.....

if you search online, you will find lots of post saying vista audio resampler and architecture are far superior then xp.

but when i use a usb dac, such as ibasso D1, my ears tell me otherwise.

vista gives a lower quality audio output as compared to xp. firstly the dynamics are affected, secondly the sound has so much more sibliance in it... even when using asio4all, it yeid the same result in vista...

i suspect the microsoft usb audio driver in vista is the culprit... since asio4all is suppose to bypass all the layers in between the software application and the audio hardware driver in vista.. the only stuff left is the audio hardware driver by microsoft...

unless the bypassing is not working as accordingly to asio4all...

to summarize,

high grade audio in vista suffer, at least for audio output to usb dac. so if you relies on pc with usb dac, stick to windows xp.

for pci soundcard or usb dac that has their own vista drivers(other then those that is supplied by microsoft), they may not be affected.

i will do another round of comparison when i have a new better resolving headgear. :cans:

Are you trying to say audio in win xp sounds better than vista? I'm still using win xp was thinking of upgrading to vista. I shall wait for your review before i make my decision.. I also heard that win vista makes the system much slower than win xp is this true?

guess different gears will respond differently... i just did a comparison useing hd650 with ibasso D1 and two laptops side by side

there is a difference between vista audio and xp audio(both through asio4all)... but this time it sounds more muddy/warmer on vista with my 650.

the test i did include using asio4all for both xp and vista.. do note that i did not test using direct sound...

p.s. using different asio drivers on xp will also give different audio quality....

next test i will do is to use a bit-perfect output soundcard (my x-fi, waiting for a processor and motherboard transplant first), with/and without a ssrc resampler to up sample to 96khz and feed it to my D1 through spdif, vs laptop(xp) usb out...

wonder how will it sound..

Edited by PPkiller

Are you trying to say audio in win xp sounds better than vista? I'm still using win xp was thinking of upgrading to vista. I shall wait for your review before i make my decision.. I also heard that win vista makes the system much slower than win xp is this true?

it's true, Vista is the downgrade.

I find it really weird though... My Vista 64-bit is stable and runs faster than XP after doing the essential tweaks.

yep... I guess it's just a bit too difficult for some people to comprehend how to use, which is probably a flaw. When used properly, it's great, not to mention wasapi is there, no need for asio emulation.