Sign in to follow this  
red_ryder

Shops specializing in classical music?

I'm looking for a specific classical recording, tried Gramaphone and Roxy Music but they don't have it. Any other shops in Singapore with a good selection of classical music CDs?

hmv is quite good, but has been consistently shrinking due to low demand. Also, if tower records in suntec still exists, i thought they had a very good collection. My favourite though is borders. Largest classical collection of the lot i think.

also, if they don't have the recording you want, you can order it with them (borders). They don't charge for shipping, but considering already high base-prices, I think it's already included somewhere...

Edited by loop_

It is sad that classical music is a shrinking market, at least in Singapore. Tower Records in Singapore was gone. Their US on line shop was good but not really so after being bought over. I guess in Singapore HMV is the biggest for classical music, but their price is high.

If u are looking for a specific recording, unless it is a recent release by a popular artist or label, u are probably having better chance searching online shops.

Edited by fuwen

Your best bet is probably ebay or amazon.

HMV is presently the best place to go for a wide selection of classical music. A lot of re-issue of past master recordings or varied compilations of popular pieces. Younger generations of artists are not only marketing their skills but also their looks. An attractive image is the selling point now. Sad that classical music is withdrawing back to the concert halls. Let's hope classical music will not be for the elite only.

HMV is presently the best place to go for a wide selection of classical music. A lot of re-issue of past master recordings or varied compilations of popular pieces. Younger generations of artists are not only marketing their skills but also their looks. An attractive image is the selling point now. Sad that classical music is withdrawing back to the concert halls. Let's hope classical music will not be for the elite only.

Sadly, classical music here is on the decline. Soon we will need to buy online. Look at the sad state of affairs at the classical section of Borders.

IPB Image

Regards

CK

Edited by ckng

Sadly, classical music here is on the decline. Soon we will need to buy online. Look at the sad state of affairs at the classical section of Borders.

IPB Image

Regards

CK

Oh yes, I went Borders few weeks ago. The classical section, to me, and I think actually is, packing up...... sad

The HMV previously at Hereen had a section full of classical. New HMV is at the new shopping mall opposite Centrepoint, can't remember the name. Not sure if their Classical section remains.

Oh yes, I went Borders few weeks ago. The classical section, to me, and I think actually is, packing up...... sad

Yes, it's still there, in a semi-dedicated room together with jazz. I miss the days when HMV Heeren had a classical-only room and with the great-sounding Spendor speakers.

Regards

CK

There is also a little shop at the Victoria Concert Hall dedicated to classical music. You can get some lesser known labels with less familiar artists and orchestras. Some are so-called modern pieces. Nevertheless, all are worth a listening to.

A promising trend is the film scores with symphonic music. Music scores from epic films (eg 'Lord Of The Ring") and popular games (eg Final Fantasy) seem to enthrall the younger generations. I believe there is always a place for good classical music.

The selection of classical music discs in Singapore is dismal. I miss those days when you could pop into Beethoven Records House, Supreme Records, Sing Records and find at least a decent selection. Now, you can hardly find any shop worth visiting. In fact, I think the popularity of classical music is on the decline all over the world and classical music stores are either downsizing or vanishing. Sad.

Nowadays, if I want to buy classical discs, I buy them from Taiwan (great prices and great selection), HK (good prices and good selection), Korea (great selection and acceptable prices). Apparently, Tokyo's HMV has the world's largest classical music collection. I can't wait to visit it one day.

I was at Borders yesterday and I think the classical section may indeed have been dispensed with. HMV remains the only decent place left for this genre. I think online is the way to go from here on though.

Guys, just do what I do. Visit HMV for certain labels, like BIS and Harmonia Mundi, because they're very competitively priced. Otherwise, and for hard to get labels like those European boutiques, do it online. MDT (www.mdt.co.uk) has the best prices, especially when they have a sale going on.