Konig

disgusted by hard disk prices in sim lim

a 750gb seagate sata drive in sls costs $600+ sgd

i can get it for less than USD $300 online in USA

and its made in singapore so WT*?!

If u noticed things in US tend to be slightly cheaper. BTW the harddisk in US may be made from elsewhere leading to a cheaper price. Online shops also tend not to pay tax and after tax it may be slightly higher + not forgetting shipping.

Though I still think SG prices are slightly higher but tat may be because singapore market is small and demand isnt high enough to ask for a lower price.

i do not think pc hardware prices are lower in us...esp hdds.

chk the series and model too. us models are seldom as update as sg.

price wise- mostly also lower, evident from the hordes of angmohs shopping in simlim.

eg... just sometime ago i got a fren studying in us wanted to replace hdd from his ext usb case, he looked thru all the radioshack type of shops at the mean time i was hunting a new hdd in sg, we all looking at seagate 300gb hdds, in the end i settled for a seagate barracuda 7200.10 but he only manage to get a 7200.8

and at least S$50 more than me :(

note - mostly not everything cheaper in sg though

how i wish i can get earphones in sg at us prices :(

if u go to store in USA u are confirmed to get a higher price + tax, espcially best buy and future shop and all.

check out ebay instead. I do know part of the reason is those guys dont have to pay rental for shop, employ stuff, easier to evade tax (remember that u dont pay state tax in usa if u order from another state)

BUT $300USD vs SGD$600 is still ludicrous no matter how u argue.

And yes, ive triple checked the harddisk is made in singapore. I have not heard of seagate 750gb harddisks made anywhere else.

i do not think pc hardware prices are lower in us...esp hdds.

chk the series and model too. us models are seldom as update as sg.

price wise- mostly also lower, evident from the hordes of angmohs shopping in simlim.

eg... just sometime ago i got a fren studying in us wanted to replace hdd from his ext usb case, he looked thru all the radioshack type of shops at the mean time i was hunting a new hdd in sg, we all looking at seagate 300gb hdds, in the end i settled for a seagate barracuda 7200.10 but he only manage to get a 7200.8

and at least S$50 more than me :(

note - mostly not everything cheaper in sg though

how i wish i can get earphones in sg at us prices :(

btw there are 2 kinds of ang mohs, one working in singapore and the other kind is tourist. The expat shops there very much for the same reason as we do. The tourist probably buy alot of japanese cameras because they wanna eschew some import tax into their country. (europeans and canadians pay awesome amount of sale taxes so they might bring back some pc parts)

It's simple really. The price that we get is what the market will bear. :)

I am not so sure, but it looks that ppl get bargains much easier in US than in singapore. PPL mo ksc 75 from amazon at less than 30 dollars, and some shops selling KSC 75 above 60. You see the difference.

I am not so sure, but it looks that ppl get bargains much easier in US than in singapore. PPL mo ksc 75 from amazon at less than 30 dollars, and some shops selling KSC 75 above 60. You see the difference.

In the US, if you don't mind the little wait in shipping from out of state, you can save all the Sales Taxes and a lot of the merchants provide local shipping for free, so it is definitely much easier to get stuff cheaper in the US. And yes, Size matters.. the US market is more than 100x bigger than Singapore's which helps.

In the US, if you don't mind the little wait in shipping from out of state, you can save all the Sales Taxes and a lot of the merchants provide local shipping for free, so it is definitely much easier to get stuff cheaper in the US. And yes, Size matters.. the US market is more than 100x bigger than Singapore's which helps.

Yes, agree. Size matters a lot. The same merchant with the same profit margin may flurish in US size market but die in singapore size market. That is why the world is looking to US and the forthcoming china so much.

Thats why Singapore government is importing all the china men to increase the population. Not exactly for the market but lots of other *reasons*.

Sorry china dudes, but you guys are like everywhere in Singapore nowadays..

I think the real reason why it's cheaper is because they don't have to pay for shop rental fees. They just need to pay for a domain and hosting which is so much cheaper. And because they have a lot more customers, they can reap from economy of scale.

Hi Guys!

It's good to know that someone brought up the topic on hard drives. Recently, I had a buddy who got me a Hitachi 2.5" IDE HDD from Penang, M'sia. The drive cost RM240. I'd like to know if there is anyone here who happens to know the going rate of that drive in Singapore?