Sign in to follow this  
evil-zen

Albums that you recommend

Instead of the What are you listening to NOW! thread which lists whatever we are listening to at the moment, why not have a similar thread for albums that you really recommend that are clearly a cut above all albums you've heard. In this way, members (ie Blues) wink.gif can be exposed to more music of different genres.

First up

user posted image

Although I have not heard much jazz, dave brubeck stands clear as my favourite jazz artiste. Quite easy to listen to and highly recommended for all jazz newbies. This album is supposedly the best of all albums dave brubeck quartet released. CD is in HDCD format as well.

LOL! Good idea. For N3w Typ3 too since he also has a good setup. Wasted on j-pop me thinks! Just kidding guys!

The 24bit remastered Live at Carnegie Hall is the one you should have! See attached scan below.

OK, my inevitable recommendation if you don't already have this blues, tell me what the soundstage & detail is like on your A3/HA-1/CD3K:

Buena Vista Social Club

user posted image

SAVE0128.jpg

Edited by N@Z

One should hear a very deep soundstage on the Buena Vista Social Club album.

My all-time favourite jazz album. Have it in CD and LP formats.

user posted image

yes yes yes.gif

it's even better if you guys can pass me the cds instead of just recommending it to me tongue.giflol.gif

naz, I saw the buena vista social club when I visited rameish quite sometime back. I think rameish did ask me to listen to a track which has something like broken string? but is actually the instrument.

Hm I recalled how much I loved it back with the sr325? rs-1 ? couldn't remb. Very upfront and intimate. The atmosphere is captured really well!

My TOP 5 demo albums for listening to new equipment and for everyday listening.

Highly highly recommended

Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions

user posted image

Sarah Maclachlan - Freedom Sessions

user posted image

Apocalyptica - Inquisition Symphony

user posted image

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

user posted image

Jeanette Lindstrom and Steve Dobrogosz - Feathers

user posted image

The Cowboy Junkies is an aquired taste for some but what's interesting in that particular CD is the familiar songs & the recording... it picked up alot of background sounds & with a good headphone system it will make you feel like you are sitting there with the musicians.

Blues, I noticed that broken string sound too I forget which track it was. The most distracting for me was the sound of the bongs drums(?) in the distance confusing me to think that someone is rapping on the door or something! I had to take off my headphones a few times just to make sure!

yongchris, the Sarah McLachlan - Freedom Sessions, is it a live or studio recording? What type of music is the JL & SD - feathers?

My all-time favourite jazz album. Have it in CD and LP formats.

user posted image

Hey, Mackie I've been looking for this album for the last 14 years, ever since I accidentally sold them away during a garage sale. Since it is out of print, possible to get a dupe from you, pleaseeee!

rolleyes.gif

This is supposed to be the very first Gold CD Compilation. It was not available in the mass market. Only available in very limited quantities via mail order in conjunction with New Hi-Fi Sound Magazine (UK) for £15.00 in late 1988. Subsequent Gold CDs from Mobile Fidelity etc was sold in the Market for around £20.

If you perchance to find this in the second hand market, pounce on it. It will be a collector's item! (This applies to older Mobile Fidelity Gold CD issues too) It sounds great & this was my reference CD for auditions for some time.

Sorry about the large(ish) image as I wanted to show the track listing which comprises of a variety of music from pop, rock, jazz(various styles), blues country & new age. This prompted me to widen my listening taste. The actual front cover looks exactly like the plain logo on the top left hand corner. Inside were photos & descriptions of the individual artists/groups.

SAVE0130.jpg

how about some alternative?

user posted image

Jeff Buckley - Grace

A singer/songwriter with an angelic voice. but too bad he died back in 1997 with only 1 album to his credit. just imagine if he is alive now, he will probably be one of the most prominent artiste of recent times.

Try track 6, Hallelujah, a cover of a Leonard Cohen song i think. simply beautiful.

this was the one that you let me try in the sgh's first meet right?

hm I like the song thumbup1.gif

My all-time favourite jazz album.  Have it in CD and LP formats.

user posted image

Hey, Mackie I've been looking for this album for the last 14 years, ever since I accidentally sold them away during a garage sale. Since it is out of print, possible to get a dupe from you, pleaseeee!

rolleyes.gif

Let me get this right. The John Coltrane - Ballads is still available under Verve recording; on CD and SACD format. They are available at Gramophone outlets.

I will check the Raffles Place outlet to confirm.

The cd copy I have is a 20-bit recording.

Edited by Mackie

The Cowboy Junkies is an aquired taste for some but what's interesting in that particular CD is the familiar songs & the recording... it picked up alot of background sounds & with a good headphone system it will make you feel like you are sitting there with the musicians.

Blues, I noticed that broken string sound too I forget which track it was. The most distracting for me was the sound of the bongs drums(?) in the distance confusing me to think that someone is rapping on the door or something! I had to take off my headphones a few times just to make sure!

yongchris, the Sarah McLachlan - Freedom Sessions, is it a live or studio recording? What type of music is the JL & SD - feathers?

Sarah Mac's Freedom sessions is recorded kinda like the trinity sessions album.

A studio recording in a live space (without an audience). It's a beautiful album, basically her Fumbling Towards Ecstacy album, recorded with a raw, acoustic sound.

The feathers LP is a combo of a couple of covers (The look of love, Both sides now, Moon River) and originals.

Music is mellow for late night listening, but what drew me to this CD is that there is only 1 vocal (Jeanette Lindstrom) and 1 grand piano(steve d). Nothing else. On my headphones, it feels like she's sitting next to me whispering in my ear. The sound is very clean and the music is perfect for a rainy evening with a cup of tea.

If I would have to place it in a genre, I'd say sentimental jazz.

I would rank this as a must buy(it's out of print).

On a similar note, this album is ranked among my top 5 makeout CDs. tongue.gif

HI MACKIE party.gif

Edited by yongchris