Sign in to follow this  
The Audio Hub

Anti IC review

IPB Image

Test Rig -

Sourece - Sansa Fuze v2 - XRCD(2)/SHMcd Flac Rips
Amp - Modified CmoyBB v2.02 - Vishay Sprague axial tantalum input caps + OPA2227
IEM - Fischer Audio DBA02 + Head Direct RE0

Sound preference - Neutral/balance with ample bass and tinge of warmth and a chalk full of details.

Prelude -

After much procrastination and deliberation from terminating a set to test.
Today I finally got down to it..

Anti IC is somewhat unique, it has enamel as its insulation rather than the usual teflon or rubber sleeve.

First off, it is a pain to work with.
I've spent a good 4-5 hours just trying to figure out how to give it a backbone because it is so damn thin, much like a slightly larger human hair.

Then its not as easy as snip off the teflon and you're good to go, you need to manually scrape off the enamel on each thread of cable..:b14:

Anyway thats enough of my ranting..

Lets skip to the meat and potatoes..

Anti IC and Neotech OCC copper is very much similar, one first listen it is exactly the same but there is a lingering characteristic of Anti IC that makes it unique.

For the most part, furiously A/Bing the both resulted in the same sound signature upon first listen but there was something that keep drawing me to try again because I just couldn't put my finger on it.

But during a point of time, I had given up and wrote off the anti cable "the same as the OCC solid core copper cables.."

So much for placebo..lol

However I noticed something with the Anti IC -

Although music is not so forward and it's slightly more neutral compared to the neotech one albeit both warm in nature.
The mid highs seem to sparkle with the Anti IC and soundstage not so cluster together.

I used to hate pure copper as I hate warmth which clouds out the details.
I hate the slowness that came with copper, the resonance and the boom with the bass and mids.

This was surprisingly not present with the Anti IC

There is alot more air at the top and at the side, the warmth is not like that of a sauna which can be too overbearing sometimes with its left over boominess but like that of spring , not too warm yet not too cold, able to breathe easy and just enjoy the the weather.

However this characteristics are extremely subtle, you need to search for it hard before you can find the difference.

Anti IC is to me is more musical in a sense that you're able to have best of both world without having an obscure combination like Silver Plated Copper, which has the peaks and forwardness of silver yet boom and warmth of copper.

Anti IC is a rather natural sounding cable which is more suited for details listener who wants a copper cable for their easy listening yet don't want to lose too much details and get too much boom.

For people who crave for warmth, it may be a step up from their usual set up and yet retain the familiar characteristics of what they're used to without venturing into the full silver or silver/copper hybrids which is another characteristic altogether.

Just to help some clarify, you mean your Anti IC (reminds me of Anti cables :D ) is OCC conductors or only sound like the Neotech OCC cable you are comparing with?

Thin cables are not hard to strip, all you need is a wire stripper which many DIY stores sell.

Anti IC uses OFC copper but is a solid core wire.

Comparison was a Neotech OCC solid core Copper - 7n purity.

This is not the usual thin cables -

Its not teflon sleeved but enamel coated.

It is like applying nail polish on a wire, and the bare wires alike nylon strands used for fishing - use for hand line.

I'm guessing 30AWG was told 24.

IPB Image

This is how a spool looks like.

This is the Anti-Cable -

IPB Image

take off that tantulum input cap. its rubbish. non-linear for audio. u do not need it anyway.

change the opamp to AD8066, it will clear up the boomy bass the opa2227 is known for.

Anti IC uses OFC copper but is a solid core wire.

Comparison was a Neotech OCC solid core Copper - 7n purity.

This is not the usual thin cables -

Its not teflon sleeved but enamel coated.

It is like applying nail polish on a wire, and the bare wires alike nylon strands used for fishing - use for hand line.

I'm guessing 30AWG was told 24.

IPB Image

This is how a spool looks like.

This is the Anti-Cable -

IPB Image

Oh, so it is kinda like magnet wire used on drivers and transformers. Couldn't tell from the picture on the first post.

take off that tantulum input cap. its rubbish. non-linear for audio. u do not need it anyway.

change the opamp to AD8066, it will clear up the boomy bass the opa2227 is known for.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

I've rolled many caps to finally arrive to this configuration.

Previously was with Oscons but the highs were unstable but very transparent

Sprague has a better control on the highs but still retain the transparent nature.

So I won't say its rubbish - it does add a flavor which I and many who happened to audition, quite enjoy

On the contrary OPA2227, I have a JH11pro user with TTVJ slim and Mustang P51 who commented that the soundstage is 3D.

I don't know how you came to the conclusion with the boominess.

The only time it happen was with wima caps.

Oh, so it is kinda like magnet wire used on drivers and transformers. Couldn't tell from the picture on the first post.

Ya, I had to use 3 strands because it would look like 3 strand of thread hanging with 2 plugs.

the top spool looks a lot like the wire in some headphones - they're coated with enamel too.. Apparently the best way to get them off is with fire- microtorches are what i recommend - though, i'm not very sure how it affects the cable itself with its high heat.