Rameish

The Correct Way To Run In Your Headphone

UPDATE: Most headphones require at least 72 hours and not 48 hours as I previously thought.

Further Update Nov 2003: I now believe that 150 hours is a better indicator after hearing improvements to several cans including the DT-880. I burnt this even further when I started to notice further improvements (although slight). I'm now burning my Senn HD-600 and Beyer DT-931 further. I think I stop at the 300 hour mark (hey I'm crazy).

The craft of running in your headphone is rather simple but time consuming. However, not only will you benefit from listening to the true nature of your headphone after the run in period, you also benefit by ensuring everything is working fine within the warrenty period.

Well okay:

1) Run in your headphone for the first 24 hours at moderate to low volume (you can hear the music but feel like cranking up the volume a notch).

2) Then the next 24 hours at regular listening volume (your regular volume level unless you're the type that listens to music loudly).

3) Then the last 24 hours at slightly louder than normal listening volume (don't listen to the music at this level as it can damage your hearing eventhough you don't think it's all that loud).

Some headphones require more - as much as 150 - run-in than others, so please do not sell off your headphone until you've discovered the true nature of it.

Any defects (very rare in headphones and uaually it's a faulty amp that kills transducers) will also show up. I have a 8 plus year old Sennheiser HD-530 II (it looks new - okay I changed the pads last month and the headband this month) that still works fine, a 12-year old Beyer DT-311 that still works fine, and a 23 year old Sony MDR-V3 that still works fine (the ear pads are a little worn lol.gif ) So take care of your equipment and generally they will serve you well.

Edited by Rameish

yeap be especially careful when burning the sony MDR 888. i killed one pair after blasting them too loud when burning in. So try not to go overboard while burning in too. slightly louder than normal is sufficent as per rameish's advice.

good advice rameish!

answers the qn for most headphone beginners.

Your burning in method is very similar to mine.. just that I use alot of techno/trance music to tighten the flabby bass w00t.gif

In addition to Rameish's recommendations, I propose using the Burn-in track of XLO burn-in/demagnetising/test disc for running in. Besides the benefits of offering a full burn-in at human's aural range, the track also helps to avoid overload as the "noisy" sound level will discourage one to up the volume.

Edited by Mackie

Mackie,

I do use the XLO as well but only at the later stages. The XLO also has a mono track that can be used to test any inbalance.

Guys,

In addition, its has HDCD recordings to check up HDCD players. And a demag sweep which you should do every 100 hours or so. But do this sparingly and at low volumes as it can burn the voice coil.

Mackie,

I do use the XLO as well but only at the later stages. The XLO also has a mono track that can be used to test any inbalance.

Guys,

In addition, its has HDCD recordings to check up HDCD players. And a demag sweep which you should do every 100 hours or so. But do this sparingly and at low volumes as it can burn the voice coil.

The XLO disc has lots of good stuff in it....applicable to all audio gears, be it home theatre (surround capable), speakers or cans setup.

There's even a track for aiding speakers placement and another track for final check of imaging.

The HDCD recordings are taken from the infamous Reference Recordings label and serve the purpose of final analysis.

user posted image

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...product-details

Another cd which I use for more critical maintenance is the Sheffield Labs Demagnetizing disc. Be wary of this one as high volumes can kill speakers but the various tracks are capable of removing any residual EMF in the entire hifi chain. I wouldn't recommend this disc for running-in of cans as these tracks have to be played above normal listening level to be effective.

Edited by Mackie

Reference Recordings are famous for their HDCD productions and well sought after by audiophiles. Apparently, they are successful in avoiding the pitfalls of HDCD which can sound rather "wooly" and "spacey" if not mastered well. Performers/performance on this label are highly respected too.

For instance, the last track on the XLO disc " Polka and Fugue - Dallas Wind Symphony" can cause a lot of problems to some speakers setup as the climax when deep organ roll and outburst of full orchestra meet is simply astounding and really dynamic. Systems with less power can reach saturation and distorts really quick there.

Edited by Mackie

I don't run in my headphone or amp. Reason is I'm too anxious and can't wait to use them out of box or out of soldering iron.

So they are infamous for causing problems in systems with lesser handling cababilities?

hahahaha.........U can put it this way too. On a serious note, it's their sonically pleasing HDCD mastering that got the label famous. Not may shops in S'pore carries them.

Edited by Mackie

actually adding an 'in' to famous totally changes the meaning of famous. biggrin.gif

i spotted the XLO today in aldephi's disc village. the shop carries mostly high quality recordings stuff and the uncle is very friendly too. he lets people test CDs using his pretty good speaker system. can be tested using headphones too but i can't recommend it as the speaker is too loud. Recommended.

Evil,

That's why I was asking in the first place. Infamous means famous for a notorious reason - Jack the Ripper was infamous while Mother Theresa was famous. Anyways, I got the meaning.