Sign in to follow this  
Mackie

Review: DT660/860; what are they replacing?

This review has come far too late, no thanks to my depleted energy level since the year kicked off on a volatile mode as far as financial markets are concerned. Sounding like a parrot, please set your subconscious minds to repeat mode on the following disclaimer: All impressions and opinions are solely mine and definitely harbours some degree of discrimination owing to personal sound/aesthetics preference, economics and brand favouritism/loyalty. Proceed forward once your minds are all set.

CONSTRUCTION

I was somewhat disappointed by the looks of DT660/860 on internet brochures for they looked like the cheaper Trendline DTX series albeit more polished. When I finally got my hands on these new Premium Line cans, I was once again proven wrong to judge a book by its cover. These cans feel heavy and expensive (they'd better be for they ain't cheap with the high EUR now). Unlike DT770/880/990 series, DT660/860 are clad entirely in plastics...............I suspect injection molded ones for these have a solid and durable feel. In a nutshell, frames are very similar to those of Ultrasone, if not entirely the same. The cups can swivel 90 degrees like Grado cans and foldable like Sony Eggos. Both facilitate easy storage at home or on the move. I also noted headband adjustment is superior to that of DT770-990 series for its smooth, precise and sturdy action on every little notch audible by clicks. Finally on the construction and aesthetics bits, straight single-sided cables are used and the silver paintwork on the enclosures are never tacky like its cheaper Trendline brethrens.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Please refer to the following link for technical specifications.

http://www.beyerdynamic.co.uk/beyer%20pages/hifi.html

The most noticeable departure from Beyer's high end cans is the low impedance of 32ohms relative to the usual 250ohms. This means the new Premium Line cans are equally at home with portable rigs. What does this suggest? I foresee anyone who wishes to own a pair of Beyer cans for both portable and home rigs may rejoice. DT660 offers close-back design with an extra pair of "leather-like" pads for DJs and DT860 open-back design with a plush genuine leather case for storage.

SOUND QUALITY/COMFORT

Ever since I discovered DT880 sounds better with age and rightly so after 500 hours of burn in, I gave both DT660/860 about 200 hours before dropping in for critical audition session.

DT660 (close-back design)

Circumaural cans are generally more comfortable and duly so with both DT660/860 but material of black pads are not as lush and smooth as those silver ones on DT770-990 series. If this matters to you, I believe the pads are interchangeable.

DT660 offers good isolation as close-design should and the first noticeable aural aspect which is very different from most Beyer cans is the mid range. Vocals are very full, forward and lush. Those who complains about recessed mids should look here. In fact, it reminds me of Senn HD600 (jaded memory though). So involving is this characteristic that I just kept inserting different discs with vocals and listen intently, totally disregarding the rest of the aural spectrum. Until such a time I reached satisfaction, I began to ponder those who are used to DT880/990 will deem it as bright sounding. I disagree however.

Next under the microscope is bass quality for quantity is never an issue with close-back design. Do we have the overpowering (to me, that is) sort exhibited by DT770 or the deep and tight nature that of DT150 (my favourite monitor cans)? I'm glad to say DT660 is in the middle of the road. I always felt claustrophobic with DT770 owing to the overwhelming boom in my head but never so with DT660. It may not have the bass quality of DT150 but in no way is it bass shy or inferior. In fact, it sounds very similar to DT831 but a few rungs higher in bounce and punch. There's a flaw (in my opinion) and that is extension when compared to DT880 for I often felt air movement but unable to hear anything on very low bass notes eg. organ rolls.

Finally, the highs are sweeter that DT150 and simply brush DT770 aside. It may not have the extension to that of DT880/990 but in some ways, upper mid range to treble is quite similar to DT831. Once again, some will say treble brightness is evident but I feel differently albeit sensitive to bright sound. I reckon the main difference is the full bodied mids that changed the equation of similarity between DT660 and DT831.

Referring to my claustophobic experience with DT770, DT660 never exhibited this trait and in fact, it never sent out a constant reminder I was listening to close-back cans except for the increased isolation. Soundstaging wise, I didn't expect it to pan wide and duly so but to a degree that is not worth quibbling. However, I was astonished by the projection of soundstaging depth. So much so I have to remove the cans and peer for any angling of the drivers to create such an effect. It's almost akin to listening with some amount of crossfeed.

DT860 (open-back design)

There's is a slight loss of bass thickness and volume with this pair but in return, I heard much better bass definition and extension over DT660. Although the end result is still nowhere near to DT150 (definition) and DT880 (extension), proximity to these benchmarks is significantly reduced. Nonetheless, the same bouncy bass of DT660 is still evident and adds up to a more enjoyable bass performance over DT831/931.

What is deemed neutral on DT150 and recessed on DT880 is full bodied, up close and personal where mid range is concerned on DT860. I'm convinced Beyer is trying to achieve a different sound with the new Premium Line and targets the mid range which is constantly being challenged by Sennheiser and AKG. It's so different compared to all the Beyer cans in my arsenal that I'm most captivated by this sonic trait. After successfully tearing myself away from this "light", I travelled to the other end of the tunnel where the upper-mid to treble range resides.

DT860 betters its closed counterpart for the same improvement in definition and extension in the lows is also evident in the highs. As a result, airiness is significantly greater than DT660 and possibly the same as DT931. The latter excels in piano presentation and I observed the same prowess but with more articulation and ambience surrounding each note when the ivory key strikes while cymbals sheen is more sparkling. Now I understand why DT860 costs a premium price over DT660.

In which case, I expected wider soundstaging from open-back DT860 but I was surprised it isn't so. It's slightly wider than DT660 but never what I've experienced with DT880/990 when the width can span more than 180 degrees. I felt that soundstaging width of DT860 is about 140 degrees and before you jeer, focus on the amazing depth it projects. So deep it sounds to me that once again, I thought there's a crossfeed circuitry in the link. Play "Buena Vista Social Club" and you can share the same perception as I did. Hey, some may say there's contradiction when I mentioned vocals are forward but soundstaging depth is deep. Allow me to explain myself, on most well recorded cds with jazz vocals I've tried, the voices are very close and involving; almost smelling the singer's breath. At the same time, layering behind the singer where the musicians play on their respective instruments are easily pin pointed and differentiated in 3D depth. If I have to peg the forte of DT660/860 in a nutshell, I would pick mid range and soundstaging depth.

SUMMARY

A major concern is the high EUR which places the price brackets of these new cans to Beyer's own DT770/880/990 series. Those who have DT880/990 may feel unmoved to buy for it's not considered an upgrade, just a different flavour. However, those who owns DT831/931 may desire these for their newer design and musical presentation. But one final factor that may appeal to all is its low impedance which suits portable rigs. I've driven DT660/860 with Panasonic SL-CT790 + Porta Corda II with great success and total musical satisfaction. This suggests those without home rigs can still enjoy high level of satisfaction with their portable systems until such time a home system is gotten. Thereon, embark on a journey where new discoveries of DT660/860 shall be made. Finally, if anyone has an issue on its bright sound which I don't, switch to higher impedance if your head amp allows or connect Jan Meier's 120ohm adapter in between the cans' jack and headphone socket on your amp. This will pull back the mids a touch farther from your face but with no detriment in the lows and highs. More often than not in this case, clarity of bass and highs may be a tad clearer now that the mids do not overwhelm your attention.

SYSTEM USED

CD player - Musical Fidelity A3CD

Portable CD player - Panasonic Sl-CT790

Head amp - AudioValve RKV MKII + Impedanzer

Portable amp - Porta Corda II

Accessroies: Tara Labs RSC Decade interconnects, MAS Grey power cords, Goldmund cones, Black Diamond Racing Cones type IV and AudioPrism Foundation 1 power conditioner.

post-2-1079337927.jpg

Edited by Mackie

hmm.. interesting mackie. thank you for the review.

Sure thing adhoc. Latest update. I think these cans sound best at 64ohm on my RKV. Those who own Cayin HA-1A has an option to experiment. Lengcm's feedback is in favour of 0ohm but I can't verify as this option is not available to me.

In a word, these low impedance cans need to be auditioned with your own setup or hopes may be dampened.

ok I would admit I am a turtle..

today went out with Lekguan and dropped by AA. FInally got the chance to hear these 'new' beyer cans...

just to cut it short, I'm very impressed by the DT660.. quite a value for money given same price range as the AKG K501. To me the dt660 is very groovy(the k501 is plain boring in direct comparison), detailed(albeit lose out to monitoring dt150), bass is not overwhelming like dt770, and most importantly the vocals do not sound recessed as many other beyer cans. It sounds relly full and near. Only slight gripe it still does sound abit bright(?i) to my ears.

The 860 is good(more expensive, of course) as well.. offering refinement from the 660, open means that it's much more airy. To my ears both cans do sound abit similar in some areas.

I think it's interesting to see that beyers cover the areas that they lack.. those who prefer low impedance, easy to drive cans, and yet offer different presentation like other(880,770,931,etc). Certainly these cans are worth to check out for those getting a mid-range headphone smile.gif

You'll be surprised how the relatively cheaper DT440 sound when compared to its more expensive brothers DT660/860, the sonic difference is actually quite minimal relative to price difference.

Those who like DT150, should give DT660 a chance. At a price which you can get lower than DT150 @ AA, it surely is a good deal. To me they sound pretty alike, tonally, though the DT150 offered better details, and more upclose. The DT660 was more natural in every way, whereas DT150 sounded kind of boxy.

didn't see any demo unit on dt440 yesterday.. sigh.. nvm other time hehe tongue.gif

interesting... closed back cans with big soundstaging? might check out the 660's one of these days...