adhoc

Progold in Singapore..?

Hi all,

as title, am looking for something to protect all those connectors/jacks in my system. i've been considering looking for such conditioner for some time, but the last straw was when i found a old 1/8"-1/4" adaptor - it was in terrible condition! even the usual eraser/ethanol didnt work completely anymore. unsure.gif

Caig's Progold (to be exact i'm looking for the 7.4ml bottled liquid version) would be perfect - it has a list of satisfied customers. i'll pass over stabilant22/tweek type conditioners due to complaints about them reacting between connectors/plugs of different materials. sleep.gif

remember, i'm not looking for a cleaner - i'm looking for something that not only cleans, but protects. 99% ethanol doesnt exactly cut it for me anymore. no.gif

so, anyone? happy.gif

ProGold 100% doesn't clean well. In fact it has only 0.5% cleaning power compared to 20% in DeOxit. Even with deoxit I have to apply a few sprays to remove some oxidation if it is quite bad. Its nearly impossible to remove all oxidation.

the 7.4mL progold 100% costs $29.90 at NewDisc Village and the 200ml Deoxit 5% spray costs $16.90. I suggest you spray with deoxit, and wipe hard with a tissue paper if it is very oxidised and then apply a few more sprays. Then apply ProGold to protect. Don't be to optimistic about it though. YMMV.

Unfortunately there's no one solution that does it all. You need to use both deoxit and Progold. Use pipe cleaners (the stuff you use to clean your rifle in the army - (you can get these at beach road or at cold storage orchard, holland village, jelita -tobacco counter). If the Oxidiztion has pitted the connecter then nothng can help bring it back to new condition. Also please note for non-Gold plated connectors use PreserveIt.

thanks for all the replies guys! i guess i shall have to make a trip down to adelphi this sunday. smile.gif

fwiw though, i dont intend to do any repairs with progold, nor do i have dirty connectors to clean - i just want to go the 'prevention, not cure' route here. happy.gif

holiday.gif

PreserveIt is something new to me.

Rameish, where to get this? Can u elaborate more on this? Does the progold damage the non-gold plated connectors or they are not effective for non-gold plated connectors?

fwik, deoxit is simply a stronger version of progold. progold cleans a bit and protects, but deoxit's for grimier connectors that need much more cleaning.

both progold and deoxit work on both precious and non-precious metal surfaces.

fwik, progold protects and improves electrical conductivity and is recommended for plated connections, eg gold, rhodium, etc.

It does clean, but insignificantly. If your eyes can see, progold probably cant do well enough already,

I would like to think of it as more like when you get a new plug, progold cleans of the minute amount of metal oxide which has formed. Preservit has totally no cleaning power. I think preservit has got more to do with polluted environment and post manufacturing process treatment. Note that Preservit cannot be found in New Disc Village, and only the shop in somewhere kallang basin has Preservit.

FYI, you can check out www.caig.com

PreserveIt is something new to me.

Rameish, where to get this? Can u elaborate more on this? Does the progold damage the non-gold plated connectors or they are not effective for non-gold plated connectors?

my apologies for my former post - i confused deoxit with presrveit! wink.gif

to make up, here you go fuwen - word for word straight from the caig 'tech info' brochure that came with my progold:

Recommendations: when do i use deoxit vs progold vs preserveit?

deoxit should be used on surfaces that are non-critical and have sever oxidation and corrosion on the metal surface. if you can visually see a dis-colouration of the metal - it is severe. use deeoxit to dissolve the contamination. deoxit will also lubricate and protect the surface. for reference deoxit has approx 20% cleaning action.

progold is recommended for critical applications where only slight cleaning action is necessary. for reference progold has approx 0.5% cleaning action. if the surface looks visually clean than aplying deoxit first is usually not necessary. there may be only small amounts of oxidation on the surface, and progold will be able to dissolve them. progold should be applied after deoxit when it is a plated metal surface except where noted with preserveit below. the more critical the connection/part, especially in low current applications, progold should be the final step.

preserveit is recommended for NEW metal surfaces, usually in the manufacturing process. it is also ideal where high degrees of pollution (sulfur, salts, acids, etc) are present. preserveit should be applied to a clean surface - after using deoxit or other cleaning methods. for reference preserveit has 0% cleaning action.

hope that helps. happy.gif