Mackie

Interconnects - personal reviews

Lately, I have been sampling some popular DIY pro cables and the following opinions are my very own drawn from current setup comprising of PD9700 > Belden 1694a with canare plugs > X-24K dac > X-PSU > X-cans > Beyer DT880.

Andrew Heliax - has rather sharp highs and female vocals are almost sibilant. Treble extension is good and very airy. I would have accepted it if not for the lean bass which really fell short of any slam and oomph. I think this cable will suit overly warm and bass-heavy setups. The extremely stiff construction may be a hindrance if one does not have enough space for routing of cables.

Klotz GY107 - has deep lower-upper bass but a tad too much at times with some recordings as it tends to mask the treble. Mid range is warm and full and I reckon this is its forte. However, treble is less extended and this initially projects a narrower soundstage and ambience around instruments are a tad lacking. However, the sound seems to grow on me and after long periods of listening, the 2 aspects became minor quibbles and did not dampen the final sound quality as much as I thought...rather subtle I must say. I reckon the first impression was affected by psychoacoustics when I was paying too much attention on the full mids and punchy lows. This cable is tonally accurate too. However, do note that it may sound rather sterile and flat in laid-back systems. Highly recommended but audition is a must.

Ahhhh....just confirmed this pair of cables is completely new and not fully burn-in yet. Hence, the inconsistent findings. And I thought it was psychoacoustics!

Klotz SQ422 - has a very balanced sound overall. Those who finds the bass of GY107 a tad too much should like this cable. However, the major drawback is its significantly less open sound relative to GY107. If this is not a major concern, the SQ422 offers an alternative to the GY107 if one favours the sound of Klotz cables. Both cables are flexible and thus, application friendly

Belden 89259 - has a laid-back sound and the mids are pretty recessed. It has a very open sound and aural perception of soundstage is wide and deep. This cable will attract those with bright sounding systems and pursuing a sound which is smooth and detailed. However, I do note that timbre is a bit off and lean sounding on percussions and drums. I recommend this cable for systems that sound too thick, forward and lacking in transparency/air. This Belden will match beautifully when called upon to handle such setups.

Ecosse The Composer - offers a good balance between Andrew Heliax and Klotz GY107. I like its open sound and ambience/soundstage is better than the Klotz but not Andrew Heliax. On vocals, I like the Klotz better whereas Ecosse tends to sound a tad recessed...somewhat lacking in emotions. Bass has less bloom than the GY107 but still tight nevertheless. However, some congestions tend to creep up on pieces with fast and deep bass instruments playing concurrently eg, having 2 double bass sparring against each other. Overall, I find this cable rather smooth and detailed but dynamics could be better. If this cable has the full and warm mid range of GY107, it's sure to be a group winner. As yet, Klotz GY107 takes the cake. yeah.gif

CDs used for this audition are Patricia Barber - Nightclub, TakeDate - Asian Roots and Tsai Chin - Golden Pieces.

Edited by Mackie

Mackie,

Aiyah sayang! Never got the chance to lend you my silver interconnects laugh.gif

Mackie,

I suggest you make my version of the 89259 and review it along side the stock design. That is, if you are willing to spend the amount. After a bit of cabling fiddling i realise the stock 89259 has good tonal character but not worth the $8-9/m asking price.

This recipe requires twice the amount of cable you need to make a desired length of interconnect. Only the inner conductor and foamed white insulation is used.

1) Strip off the outer FEP insulation and copper ground.

2) Twist 2 runs of inner foamed core and use each for hot and ground.

3) Listen.

4) Start converting stock 89259 ics into this design cos of the huge improvement.

Interesting..........but that will cost about $60 plus canare plugs. Do u think it's better than the GY107 terminated with Neutrik? A pair of the latter costs around $46.

Though I never direct A/B, I definitely think its better than the GY107. This design isn't shielded and one must take caution never to position it near other cables esp power cords. However i believe the nature that it isn't shielded makes it more dynamic sounding. The sum of 4 parts of a cable makes up its sound. Here's my short misinformed guide on cables. I might not be correct so please correct me i AM wrong yeah.gif

1 - dielectric.

The material next to the conductor is its dielectric The primary dielectric affects the sound the most. In a way more so than the conductor itself. That is because some of the worse material one should use is commonly found in commercial cables. An example would be PVC. It has a dielectric value of 5. The best dielectrics and their ratings in order are, vacuum(1), air(1.1), teflon(2.0), teflon derivatives(2.1-2.4?). Dielectrics act like capacitors, storing some energy as a signal passed the conductor it wraps around and releasing it slightly later. A good dielectric would store less and releases faster. One very common sound characteristic with thick PVC insulated copper wires would be its round mid bass. It could be simply be that the PVC insulation messes up the timing of the bass. Hence most DIY guys who want really high end cables makes their own with silver in teflon or soemtimes, no telon at all.

2 - Magnetic Fields

When electricity passes through a conductor, a magnetic field is created surrounding the conductor. The size of this field depends on size of the current. If you have more than one conductor bunched together, they would affect each other's magnetic fields!

Why is this important? When a conductor's magnetic field is distorted whilst transferring a signal from A to B. The signal received at B is also distorted. I'm not sure which aspect of the music will be affected, i think its the timing and dynamics.

3 - Connector

RCA plugs are a neccesary evil but why Neutriks? They cost like what, $40? That's alot of money when you are talking about budget diy interconnects. If you want easy to use connectors then consider the lower cost Canare. I didn't compare Canare vs Neutriks in terms of sound but I'm thinking that someone who'd bother to make himself these interconnects are music lovers on a shoestring budget and of the $60, $40 goes to connectors!

If you are indeed after sound, shoot for the Eichmann Bullet plugs. The cable with the best high fidelity reproduction and least signal loss i have ever made were pure silver ones with bullet plugs. This pair of cables happen to sound good immediately with soldered joints still too hot to touch. Having experimented with quite abit of cables, they all have this characteristic sound before 'burning in'. That is, harsh, sibilant, lacking in details and uncontrolled mid bass and maybe no low bass at all. Shouldn't these characteristics be more obvious in a new pair of SILVER interconnects? This made me conclude that a big portion of the burn in process is for the connectors.

Why is this so? The common RCA plug from $2.5 black nakmichi knock offs i LOVE to the Neutriks are all hefty and full of metals. The eichmann is a tube of dense plastic with 2 copper nibs.

Following the same sch of thought as Eichmann plug designs, I searched for one with the least amount of metals. I found a $0.70 all plastic rca connector with folded steel shield and conductor. These could well be the poor man's Eichmann.

If you could bother, try making another stock 89259 with such connectors and compare. It should sound better than the neutriks.

4 - Geometry & Topography

I have so far done 3 kinds of wire geometry designs used for single solid core cables. The most minimalistic is a parallel run held at equal distance away from one another by tape ALA DNM Reson design. Another is the tri braid design ALA Kimber KCAG. The third is simply twisting 2 runs together loosely but evenly. A fourth geometry is from IXOS. Very densely braided cables to ensure the crossing conductors are perpendicular to one another. This effectively cancels any magnetic field interference between the two crossing runs.

Another thing is solid core or multistrand? The higher the frequency, the closer to the surface of the conductor the signal of such frequency travels on. I personally prefer single solid core designs as theorectically, such conductors would have less conductors for the signal to jump around. Another reason is that I've personally heard solid core cables have better bass than multistrand ones of higher gauge.

5 - Application

If you are curious how the most transperant cable one could made from commonly available parts sound like, buy silver wire & teflon tubing from here and terminate em with Eichmann. Note i dont earn money from that guy, he sells silver wires pretty cheaply and is located in Singapore hence being the most cost effective silver wire dealer i know.

6 - Ironicities

Despite spouting so much (seemingly) knowledge, the OCOS loudpeaker cable, a coaxial copper design when partnered with my previous speakers, dynaudios, sounded the best with better detail retrieval and had the most accurate tone. These were the best of the lot and this lot included skin effect reducing Goertz, solid core braided Kimber 8TC and so on. Its got something to do with the cable being impedance matched to dynaudio drivers. The combo is so good OCOS are almost a must with speakers that has dynaudio drivers. This goes tos show that there might be some other aspect about cables that aren't well known that affect the sound.

Edited by fishball79

Wow, thanks for the detailed review. w00t.gif

I have only GY107 and I love it, will try others slowly. kicking.gif

This is why I always consider U to be a DIY guy, fishball. Very detailed and superb write-up. thumbup1.gif

I would have perked up and all if such knowledge is available in my 20s. I would have gone into DIYing like U. At my ripe old age and being a family man, I only have the time and interest to listen and select what is best for my systems within a sane economic threshold.

One thing of note, I recommend the Neutriks if the cable leans toward the bright side. Yes, I've done an audition between canare and neutrik plugs on silver cable. Bullet plugs will be a whole new concept and budget range altogether.

OCOS? My my.....I'm a serious "advocator" with head, torso, arms and legs all up! w00t.gif

Actually I believe the bullet plugs are $65 for 4 pieces so making it cheaper. Or did you mean a pair of left and right making it 4 as well.

Don't know whether this is of any significance since it is not DIY related. I have a pair of DNM Reson cables terminated with eichmann Bullet plugs. Based on my limited experience with cables this combination sounds alot punchier than the Van Den Hul D102MkII Hybrid. Both have about the similar 'airiness' and resolution with the VDHs sounding warmer to my ears. I'm not sure what the connectors are on the VDH but it uses a high grade copper, silver & 24 carat gold coating.

This is why I always consider U to be a DIY guy, fishball. Very detailed and superb write-up. thumbup1.gif

I would have perked up and all if such knowledge is available in my 20s. I would have gone into DIYing like U. At my ripe old age and being a family man, I only have the time and interest to listen and select what is best for my systems within a sane economic threshold.

One thing of note, I recommend the Neutriks if the cable leans toward the bright side. Yes, I've done an audition between canare and neutrik plugs on silver cable. Bullet plugs will be a whole new concept and budget range altogether.

OCOS? My my.....I'm a serious "advocator" with head, torso, arms and legs all up! w00t.gif

(A) You have dynaudios. What sane economic threshold!?

(cool.gif Yes Either OCOS or Super expensive cables. Your choice.

Considering the price difference of the Neutriks and Eichmann bullets, the bullets are really that much money for that much sound.

However, it is PITA to work with esp if you have larger gauge conductors (like shielded ground). It is also rather fragile but at least the cable dont get pulled around by the heavy Neutriks.

It boils down to convenience versus sound, an age old modder's dilemma. I'm just glad to have shared this info with some people.

I had my Dynaudios for more than 5 years now and before I got married. See what difference a marriage can do to a hobby? hammer.gif

Prior to this, if I have to live on bread and water for the purchase of hifi, so be it.....such is my dedication! tongue.gif

I almost bought a projector/screen for my HT but a very nice sofa set has stolen the budget..... no.gif

Gees....all along I have the idea that Eichmann plugs cost around the $100 mark. A fallacy as I haven't been window shopping since my return....only been to Adelphi so far and no idea how SLS/SLT have evolved!!! It's been a decade since my last visit. blush.gif

Talking about OCOS. I ordered 2 pairs from Germany and the package was lost in the mail. The dealer and I are still trying to resolve the situation. Looks like he's trying to replace my order but U know, these are hard to come by. What a blow! hammer.gif

Hmmm. *notes to self to get super tokong ht and stereo system before marriage*

Well as for the sofa, im sure it'd bring much more fun and memories of past experiences of being on it than the projector * whistling.gif *

I rememeber paying $58 for the Eichmann but im sure its more expensive now. Their company is in brisbane, maybe i oughta go take a look biggrin.gif

So sorry to hear about the lost ocos... blush.gif I was the one who asked you to get from germany afterall

Actually I believe the bullet plugs are $65 for 4 pieces so making it cheaper. Or did you mean a pair of left and right making it 4 as well.

Ummmm......the prices I'd mentioned are inclusive of a pair of cables and plugs.

Costs of the following combo:

A: Belden 89259 + Canare plugs ~ $44 / with bullet plugs ~ $81

B: Fishball's recipe on 2 runs of 89259 ~ $60 / with bullet plugs ~ $97

C: Klotz GY107 + Neutrik plugs ~ $46 / with bullet plugs ~ $71

Cost breakdown:

4 x Canare plugs ~ $28

4 x Neutrik plugs ~ $40

4 x Bullet plugs ~ $65

Belden 89259 ~ $8/m

Klotz GY107 ~ $3/m

Hope the info is useful to those who are interested to DIY these cables. happy.gif

Hmmm.  *notes to self to get super tokong ht and stereo system before marriage*

Well as for the sofa, im sure it'd bring much more fun and memories of past experiences of being on it than the projector * whistling.gif *

I rememeber paying $58 for the Eichmann but im sure its more expensive now.  Their company is in brisbane, maybe i oughta go take a look  biggrin.gif

So sorry to hear about the lost ocos...  blush.gif I was the one who asked you to get from germany afterall

Oh well......I prefer the memories of a pj anytime... laugh.gif but I must add the sofa set is the kinda we've been searching for a long time.

Not your fault matey. The dealer is very nice. Just my ass luck to ship during X'mas season. Hope all's well that ends well.

Edited by Mackie

Actually the basis of my argument to use Eichmann bullets is if you are thinking of getting neutriks, but dont need very tough plugs, go for the eichmann. A very cheap alternative would be $0.70 ea plastic n steel ones.

If its the stripped 89259 recipe, I personally would use the $2.5 ea nakamichi fakes from Koba Electronics 3rd Floor People's park Complex. Bear in mind the diameter of the two runs of stripped 89259 would be larger than the rca plug casing and some filing would be needed. I personally would chuck the casing and wrap the rca plug with plumber's tape (teflon)

That bullet plug really interests me bec it's pure copper and sorta hollow (that's were the wire goes in and then soldered). So technically there's a lot less brass in the chain so should be closer to hardwiring the ICs.

On the topic of ICs, I still like Kimber from the humbe PBJ (around S$110 for 1m) to the Kimber Select KS-1030 (S$1,350 for 1m). BTW has anyone tried Kimber's new budget IC - Tonik?