Sign in to follow this  
vance

Koss KSC75

Hi guys,

Below is my 1st attempt at reviewing and posting a set of cans so please be gentle. laugh.gif I just received them in the mail 2 hours ago.

The KSC75 came in one of those nice retail clear plastic casings. Inside was the KSC75 and Koss’ limited lifetime warranty.

Note that any comparisons with the KSC35 is from my memory until I can get my KSC35s back from my family members.

Looks & Build: (compared with KSC35)

The KSC75 looks more trendy and aesthetically better designed than the KSC35. The driver/casing is silver/grayish in color which I definitely prefer over the dull KSC35 design. The ear clip is a metal wire frame encased in a rubber material similar to most spectacle frames. The metal wire frame enables me to bend the ear clip to fit over my ear nicely. I luv it! I had no trouble putting the KSC75 on whilst with the KSC35 I had to take quite some time to get a nice fit. I tried shaking my head a bit to try and loosen the hold of the KSC75 but it never did come off. KSC75 wins this category hands down.

Comfort: (compared with KSC35)

Again because you can adjust the wire frame on the KSC75, you can make sure it stays comfortable on your ears. Not with the KSC35 though, I have yet to listen to the KSC75 for any extended periods so no chance to review how comfortable it gets over time. (Only just got it 2hrs ago) I’m guessing with the KSC75 being so light, you can practically wear it for hours. Of course you need to make sure the wire frame is adjusted properly. KSC75 wins....again!

Sound: (compared with PX200)

As I have said before I do not have the KSC35 at the moment so I do not want to compare with the KSC35 from memory.(maybe I can make a comparison in 2 weeks) So I’ve compared it with my PX200 which I think does not make good comparison because there’s a difference in price as well as one being closed and other being open.

Anyway, I played a few pop songs from my Sony Clie and Panasonic PCDP and listened to both PX200 and KSC75. From my amateurish ears, they sounded almost the same. The only difference being the sound stage which is better for the KSC75, probably as it’s open. Sorry, I’m no audiophile. I guess the with the bass sounding the same as the PX200 it has to be a good thing as from my knowledge closed phones have better bass.

One thing to note about the KSC75 though is that it is so open that you should only listen to it in a fairly quiet environment. Also, the KSC75 is very easy to drive and with my Sony Clie set at the ½ way point of the volume control it was already quite loud and I could hear the music a few feet away. A tie with my PX200.

Initial Conclusion:

I like the KSC75 a lot! With better looks and comfort level compared to the KSC35 and sound quality similar to my PX200 I think it’s worth every single cent I paid for. (Which was just US$15 after the 25% discount coupon)

Maybe I’ll post some pics when I get the time….as well as a sound quality comparison with the KSC35. Somehow I think my amateurish ears will not be able to tell them apart, but I’ll give it a shot.

Once again I’m sorry if I’ve not done a good job at reviewing the KSC75, this is my 1st time reviewing and actually posting it.

Mod edit: This thread is flagged in the forum's articles/reviews section.

Edited by Mackie

Good job on your impression and comparison. A commendable effort! Can i ask you from memory which would sound better? KSC35 or 75?

You know, I don't really know off hand. tongue.gif That's why I didn't want to compare them, but I can do a comparison once I get back to Singapore. There was a comment on Head-Fi about the KSC35 having better mids than the KSC75 but similar highs and lows. I don't think the difference is great though if there is any.

However I can quite safely say that I'll stick to my KSC75 rather than KSC35 just because they look much nicer, feels more comfortable on my ears which negates whatever little superiority in SQ the KSC35s have over the KSC75s.

Hmm the KCS75 sounds promising so far, might be a contender for good budget earphones. Wonder if they are sold in Singapore, anyone seen them around?? Need to get a new pair of earphones.

I think I should just let some of you guys audition it when I get back. That way, others can get a real idea how good/bad it sounds. Just let me know when there's some sort of gathering and I'll bring it along. laugh.gif

Anyway, since it's hard to even find the KSC75 in stores around the US I doubt it'll hit Singapore soon. I got mine off the Koss website and it arrived in 2 days. laugh.gif Of course that's because I live in the land of Koss (Wisconsin).

Nice review, though i think that you might allow some time for the KSC 75 to run in first before making any comparison with the PX200 though, might sound a bit better maybe? headphone.gif

Yes I should actually. tongue.gif Anyway having letting the KSC75 run the whole night and then making another few minutes of comparison, here's more info on their difference. The PX200 has that very slight edge in details as well as slightly more punchy and tighter bass. But having said that, the KSC75 still sounds more natural and airy in comparison. That and it's nice comfortable fit, it will not cause as much fatigue to your ears as the PX200 over long periods. I always had to take my PX200 off after 1-2hrs to give my ears some rest. biggrin.gif

I'll see how the KSC75 holds up to my MS-1 and KSC35 when I get back to Singapore.

Hi guys,

I'm returning to Singapore this week and there won't be enough time for me to order the KSC75 and receive them before I leave US. So for those who're interested, I hope you can find someone else to help you with it.

Sorry abt it.

Thanks to Vance for getting a pair just before his departure from the States.

I concur with his views on issues of comfort and ease of use. The metal clip allows users to bend or twist to a certain degree for maximum comfort and alleviate pressure on the ear during prolonged usage.

Sound wise, the first trait that struck me was high level information from upper mid range to treble is as clean as a whistle. In the 80s when titanium tweeters were introduced in speakers, one couldn't fault with detail and treble extension department but most tended to sound a tad metallic or edgy at the top. On the KSC75, none of which is prevalent and there's no hint of brightness at all. Sound is smooth and because of greater portrayal of airiness in the whole medium and around each instrument, it gives a bigger soundstaging than KSC35. \

It's still early to pass judgement on bass as my pair has only chalked less than 24 hours of burn-in time but as yet, it seems to be less punchy that KSC35 but still tight and abundant for all kinds of music. The pads are also notably thicker than KSC35 while the same mod ie, 5-cent-coin-sized cut-out of concentric circle exposing the driver, improves midrange presence to a significant degree.

In summary, these little titanium drivers have upped the ante on the upper spectrum while the slight decrease in mid-upper bass punch (perceived for now) is only so in relative terms and certainly more than ample to handle bass heavy music. Best Buy in S$30-40 bracket!

Edited by Mackie

Thank Mackie for the comparison with KSC35. I had been to busy to do the comparison myself. I do agree that it's a great budget phone!