Sign in to follow this  
pcking

Which cable for 3.5 to 3.5mm interconnect ?

Hi Guys,

in the midst of DIY a 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnect for my MP3 player to my PA2V2 to replace the "stock" one.

I have nailed down the connectors to be used - Canare F-12 plugs

So asking for guru's advice on which is the most ideal (interms of cost/performance ratio) cable to be used for this purpose.

Since the length will be short (maybe half a meter), can afford to buy slightly more costly cable. tongue.gif

Can a cable with only 2 cores like the Belden 1696A be used ?

Reason is a 3.5mm stereo plug has left, right n ground (total 3 channels)

So if a 2 core cable is used, 1 for right n 1 for left, then ground how ???

Lastly, does the solder like those with silver content makes a difference when we DIY cables ?

Thanks. party.gif

Firstly, I wonder if its feasible to upgrade the cable for your setup since the source is a MP3 player. Garbage in, garbage out applies.

If U are firm on this, Canare, Belden, Klotz microphone cable (3-core) are good choices.

Silver solder may make a difference to some with perky ears but normally too subtle to others.

Visit Robert at LHS, 2nd floor Sim Lim Tower for help/purchase of plugs, cables and termination.

Firstly, I wonder if its feasible to upgrade the cable for your setup since the source is a MP3 player. Garbage in, garbage out applies.

If U are firm on this, Canare, Belden, Klotz microphone cable (3-core) are good choices.

Silver solder may make a difference to some with perky ears but normally too subtle to others.

Visit Robert at LHS, 2nd floor Sim Lim Tower for help/purchase of plugs, cables and termination.

thanks Mackie.

Just want to give it a try as the stock cable seems to be of very "normal" quality.

Although my source is only a Zen Micro, I usually encode MP3 at very high bitrates n sometimes even just dump as wave format.

Robert of LHS recommended me the Belden 1696A but it is only a 2 conductors cable.

So I intend to use the shielding as the ground. Is it feasible ?

FYI,

three usual pcocc cable should be ok.simply interweave them each other without ground shielding.

post-12-1112683958.jpg

three usual pcocc cable should be ok.simply interweave them each other without ground shielding.

Digi - sorry for this newbie question but what is pcocc cable?

PCOCC我们这里叫无氧铜。就是用没回收过的高品质铜线制成的电缆。

你指的是否是OFC = Oxygen Free Copper ??? mellow.gif

I knew the day will come when I will regret not knowing Chinese!! sad1.gif

PCOCC is supposedly purer than LC-OFC. The former denotes Pure Copper by Ohno Continuous Casting. Read more about it HERE.

Robert of LHS recommended me the Belden 1696A but it is only a 2 conductors cable

U're right, I think Rob intends to use the shielding as ground. This cable should be cheap, why not give it a try then?

Edited by Mackie

Just finished my DIY 3.5 to 3.5mm interconnect using Canare F-12 plugs n Belden 1696A cable with normal 40/60 solder.

As the 1696A is only a 2 conductor cable, I used the shielding as the ground, blue as the left n white as the right channel.

My humble setup:

Creative Zen Micro with EQ off at volume 18 ---> Interconnect ---> PA2V2 (new version with upgraded 470 n 2200 caps) ---> Shure E2c

Findings done immediately after the DIY interconnect was completed.

Comparing my DIY interconnect against the "stock" interconnect that came bundled with the PA2V2. All volumes maintained at the same levels.

Album used: ULTIMATE DEMONSTRATION DISC (Chesky Records) See here

Ripped using EAC as wave format n also ripped another copy using Windows Media Player 10 as MP3 (192kbps)

Results r similar regardless of whether the tracks r in MP3 or waves.

Bass: Cleaner, deeper bass n undistorted

Mids: Vocals are more natural sounding with more reverb n clearer

Highs: Most of the harsh highs (sssssssssss) heard using the "stock" interconnect r no longer apparent yet details like symbols, tickling etc r still clearly heard with much more clarity

NB: Unfortunately handphone interference is still inherent but much softer now. sleep.gif

Tonight I will ask my GF to do a blind test to see whether the improvement is significant enough for casual listeners to detect.

I have no regrets spending my time n money on this small DIY project. The sound quality improvement is definitely worthwhile, even though most may think that it may not make a difference since my source is just a MP3 player.

Lastly, I highly recommend this DIY "upgrade" to anyone who r still using those "stock" ready-made slim black 3.5 to 3.5mm if they r serious in improving their listening experience. headphone.gif

Edited by pcking

PA2V2 (new version with upgraded 470 n 2200 caps)

Do U mean to say the later batches (for instance yours) are upgraded with these caps or are U referring to changes from Version 1?

PA2V2 (new version with upgraded 470 n 2200 caps)

Do U mean to say the later batches (for instance yours) are upgraded with these caps or are U referring to changes from Version 1?

Hi Mackie,

according to Gray's website, (Paragraph 4), the initial batches of PA2V2 were equppied with 220 n 1000 uFs caps. I do not know excatly when did he "upgraded" all the caps in the recent line of PA2V2 to Panasonic caps of 470 n 2200 uFs. I am glad mine came with the new higher capacity caps. biggrin.gif

My amp is no 682 so I presume those amps later than mine should be already equipped with the Panasonic caps.

As to exactly when or starting from which amp did he start using the Panasonic Caps, I don't know. tongue.gif

Have U sold yours ? rolleyes.gif

Edited by pcking