Sign in to follow this  
gfgfmoses

Review: Little Dot II Headphone Amplifier

Little Dot II Review

Yes, I know it has been a long time since I promised to write a review for you guys on it, my first tube amplifier, and now I finally have had a moment to formulate my impressions after about 50 hours “burn in†(6 to 8 hours everyday). Hope this information will come in useful for someone in expecting. Obviously, I am not someone comes from an English speaking country, so when you felt a little uncertain about my expression, just try to make it in a somehow oriental way.

The following is the virgin review of Moses. Try to enjoy it.

Associated equipment

Headphones: Etymotic ER4p, Sennheiser HD580, ATH W1000;

Dedicated Source Component: NAD C521 CD player;

Portable Audio Source: Sony Ej01, Iriver H340;

Amplification: Xin Supermacro

Cables: DW11 and other hand make audio cables.

My Amp “Experienceâ€

As I have mentioned this is my first tube amp, and I don’t have any experience in other commercial ones. I’ve owned the Xin Supermacro, and have used my integrated amp (NAD 320) as reference.

Music

Mainly pop and rock, some classical, Soundtracks and female vocals.

David Bowie “Young Americansâ€, “Lowâ€;

Morphine “Cure For Painâ€;

Tori Amos “Little Earthquakesâ€;

Sinead O’Connor “Gospel Oak EPâ€

R.E.M. “Automatic for the Peopleâ€;

Sting “Mercury Fallingâ€;

Leonard Cohen “I’m Your Manâ€

James Taylor “JTâ€;

Radiohead “The Bendsâ€

Cyndi Lauper “True Colorsâ€;

Music from the motion picture “City of Angelsâ€

Music from the motion picture “Philadelphiaâ€

Essential Jazz 2CD;

Callas “Callas a Paris I&IIâ€, EMI Classics;

Nat King Cole “Love is the thing (and more)â€, Capitol;

Mozart “Requiemâ€, Warner Classics;

Chopin “Les plus Belles Pages de Chopinâ€, Accord, 3CD

The Glenn Gould Edition “Bach: Goldberg Variationsâ€, Sony

Design and Build Quality

In comparison to the old version, this is a much more gorgeous and yes, bigger amplifier. The amp gives a perception of being well built, its heavy, and looks good. The power switch is at the back. The volume control is at the right side, rotates smoothly, and much different from the former version, it allows versatile gain even for high sensitivity, low impedance headphones like the Grado or ATH headphones. Four kinds of colors can be chosen. Every external detail may be seen from pictures.

I cannot comment too much on the internals of the amp since I’ve opened it up, but have no idea of these electric stuffs. One thing important need to be mentioned here is it is really hot when working, partly because of its relatively small size.

Sound Quality

Here we are! This is the reason we are all here. We want to LISTEN to our music. First of all, it gives good sound quality for an amp of its price. It sounds warm and sweet with all of the headphones that I’ve, and it’s designed suitable for both low and high impendence ones.

Highs

Unamped ER4p got a cool and sporadically shrill characteristic, which was partly eliminated when using it. Instead, extended and smooth highs abounded. It also happens when listened with W1000. It helps a lot when playing a female vocal, the poor sound, which a lot of people have mentioned about W1000 when comparing with W100, is mostly absent. It astonished me first when I played Sinead O’Connor songs, and it’s so pure and feels like be hugged peacefully by the sound environment. This should be profited from the two new tubes that exchanged with those old ones (have not experienced the first version, so just a guess from other folks). Switching to the HD580, it seems to drive the HD580 with more authority, especially when playing classical pieces with more dynamic, bright and smooth transferring to mid-range.

Mid-Range

It has been proud of its mid-range since the first version, and this one is as great too. For all the headphones, it gives a reasonable performance, dynamic and punchy. Specific instruments, nice vocal can be simply obtained and the image is clear and accurate. For HD580, no doubt it should be better, but actually the difference is limited (think it’s good enough already). When using a portable source, this range does not show a noticeable improve, instead, it seems to be a little thin and sterile. Maybe it is because of the Ej01’s lack of base and mistaken my feeling like that.

Bass

The bass is a little bit tight for all headphones, but enough for me at least. After burn in, it’s getting better. When playing music like morphine’s, I am really enjoying it as the base (the real base) is the theme and when on drum-heavy tracks the bass drum really comes through. If you are a base fan listening rocks or hip-hop, this should be great for you. Again I need to refer to ER4p, yes, it changes some but may not that much for most folks I think. However, no matter what one does, the ER4p will never sound like full-sized headphones, especially in the bass region. For other two, the base is moderate, deep and fast, but not too fast for most kind of music I have had audition.

Other Configurations

The soundstage improves significantly for this amp, you will have a wonderful experience when playing operas or lives, and it’s spacious but uniform.

In comparison to Supermacro, it has a little more punchy in the bass, leaner in the bass, more musical and grainy, but less analytical, detailed and dynamic. However, when adjusted with the 4 switches, Supermacro still rocks. Again, we need to realize the piece limit.

Conclusion

In summary, at an incredible price of just S$80 for the entry level amp with a tube sound, I think that should be reasonable. I still need to highlight that it gives a good sound but far from a “hi-fi†great one. For me, it gives me a different way of expressing sound to my Supermacro, and that’ why I own it and think may share my feeling about it with friends. Besides, all of you are welcome for audition at my dormitory in NUS if we can arrange a time. I am a newbie in this hobby, so anything wrong or inappropriate, please point out. Thanks for viewing.

post-2-1121842952.jpg

Edited by gfgfmoses

Heh, u stay in PGP? I might drop by soon then tongue.gif

how can u tell from just a single pic? blink.gifblink.gif

u r welcome~~~

gfgmoses, have you heard a MINT, META42 or PIMETA before? If you have how does the little dot 2 compare to them?

gfgmoses, have you heard a MINT, META42 or PIMETA before? If you have how does the little dot 2 compare to them?

sorry i havn't.

Supermacro is my first headphone Amp, Little Dot II is my first tube amp. Still a newbie~~~

I just got it too, nice. happy.gif and I found many cheap DIY amp here.

Haha, hmm well..... will contact u thru PM once I move back next week or the week after. Thanks for the offer smile.gif

Hey if u guys were to have a meet, can count me in? beer.gif

Can someone who has listened to a DIY amp such as the MINT, PIMETA, or CMOY write a bit to compare these amps with the little dot 2 when you guys meet up? It'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks

david watt

sure u r welcome~

renesis

u may come to compare by ur self if can. meanwhile i could listen PIMETA, or CMOY too~~~~

Hahah, unfortunately I can't go to your place. I'm in Australia, wouldn't mind going to Singapore though if someone can get me a ticket? That way I can go to Malaysia as well rolleyes.gif