aaron-xp

Review of headphones

Battle of the 'phones

Basic introduction

I ain't no expert in the study of headphones, but would just like to give my very own review. (My very first! :)) ) All headphones are tested without amplifers and are unmodified

UM1

It's been at least 3 weeks (if I am not wrong), since I got the UM1, so I can be considered rather aquainted with it. No burn in required, balanced armature drivers are used in this. (costs: $170 after 10% discount)

IPB Image

HQ-1700

Got it in December. Only partially burnt in (30+ hours before I gave up waiting), but the sound is definitely different from when I got it at first. The only Supra-aural headphone in this "battle". (costs: $49 at CreativeFest and member special $20 discount)

IPB Image

EP-630

Definitely the "veteran" amongst the 'phones in this line up. Got it 2 Creative Fests ago. That is slightly less than a year ago. Fully burnt in through normal usage. (costs: $49 at CreativeFest)

IPB Image

COMFORT

Perhaps one of the most important factors in a headphone (other than sound quality). I personally feel that the UM1s are the most comfortable of the lot. A lot has been said about Westone having some of the most comfy phones, and I agree whole-heartedly. I have tried them with the long and short comply foams which come with the UM1 plus the Shure clear flex foam (which I feel, are great. Once you get used to them, you'll forget they are there.) Didn't get the tri-flanges after being dissuaded.

The EP-630s come in close second, with their soft silicon sleeves. No matter what you do though, you can still "feel" them there. No painful though.

The HQ-1700 comes in last in this catergory, being a Supra-aural headphone. Ears get warm after a period of use. Needless to say, you'll always feel them on your head.

UM1: 3 points

EP-630: 2 points

HQ-1700: 1 point

Portability

UM1 and EP-630s tie for this catergory, being IEMs. The HQ-1700 is last. Imagine using it on a hot day. Your ears will be completely wet with sweat (rhymes!).

EP-630: 3 points

Isolation

Sorry, no surprizes, the UM1 takes first, EP-630 second, and HQ-1700, having virtually no isolation, third.

With the UM1, you can feel your heart beating (true, with comply tips). With the EP-630, you'll have to listen carefully to hear what others are saying. With the HQ-1700s, you'll have to listen carefully to hear what the song is like (in a train, at normal, about half of the maximum, volumes).

EP-630: 2 points

Sound Quality

The UM1 is supposed to take this easily with its high price tag(not really though, compared to the Shure E3 and E4 and ER6i, but relative to the other two headphones, it is quite expensive)

The UM1 has a rather "tight" bass, and sound really good with small drums. Music also comes very much alive in this phone. Beautiful, smooth trebles lead me to believe that this is more of a treble phone. (EDIT: MOST WOULD DISAGREE, BUT THIS IS MAINLY DUE TO THE FACT THAT I LISTENED TO BASS-HEAVY HEADPHONES ONLY IN THE PAST) Soundstage can be felt, though not to such a large extent. The sound is great when you listen to it in a quiet environment (some noise still leak in despite the isolation), especially, as the silent parts sounds so creepy, given that you cannot hear a single thing. Details can be heard very well (perhaps due to the isolation also). I can even play music at the minimum volume on both my Panasonic CDP and Zen Micro

EP-630s are last, as expected in this category. The music sounds rather "dead", compared to the UM1, but with stock buds, the definitely sound better. Bass is much less "tight" than the UM1. Nevertheless, it sounds quite good for its price. I can even play music close to the minimum volume on both my Panasonic CDP and Zen Micro (4 or 5 on a scale of 25)

HQ-1700 are as good, if not better than the UM1. Very much a bass headphone. There is much impact from drums (which is rather cool). Soundstaging is great. I can hear where the instruments and voices are coming from. Must be played in a very quiet environment though, in order to experience it in full splendor. Music is really detailed and I can understand/decipher most of what is sung.

UM1: 2 points

EP-630: 1 point

HQ-1700: 3 points

Overall value for money

Rather shocking that the HQ-1700s sound better, though they are less comfortable, but for their price, they are really good. The UM1s are the best commuting/travel phones in this line up., but their steeper price puts most people off them. The EP-630 gives a big bang for the buck, being one of the most "value-for-money" phones available (rated by people around the world).

UM1: 2 points

EP-630: 3 point

HQ-1700: 2 points

Total Score:

UM1: 16 points

EP-630: 11 points

HQ-1700: 8 points

This review is by no means definite, and is only my personal opinion. The total points don't really mean anything actually. People with different needs buy different headphones, and the 8 that the HQ-1700 gets doesn't mean that it is lousy. It is great for home use, at an affordable price.

(Yay! Finished the review :holiday: , not the best though :mellow: )

EDIT: Pictures added! All pictures in .gif format for quicker loading time (reason for lousy image quality)

EDIT: UM1 reasons

Edited by aaron-xp

Nicely written. Got pictures will be nicer. headphone.gif

i have FC7 been using it for like 1 year, i feels it is very good in terms of sound and not comfort. very very nice bass and clear

i'm thinking of getting FC7 for portable use. Does it block outside noise?

its quite tight on the ears and does block out a significant amount of noise as it is closed. but it will start to hurt your ears after a while and sometimes the band snaps and a few strands of hair will get pulled by the snapping action.

i'm thinking of getting FC7 for portable use. Does it block outside noise?

The noise isolation is really lousy, compared with IEMs (for the HQ-1700s, almost the same as FC7) . Haven't tried other supra-aurals yet.

Anyway, it looks quite cool when not worn (foldable, shiny, reflective), but is really quite weird looking when worn, as the metal part protrudes out from beside your head.

HQ-1700 is what I'd recommend over the FC7 though, if you're planing on getting one that is. It uses velour pads, which are more comfortable (IMO) as compared to pleather pads.

The FC7/HQ-1700 does isolate a bit, maybe about slightly less or around 10dB (halvng outside noise, for me at least), but their isolation cannot match IEMs smile.gif

Can take a look at the ATH-ES5 too.

Here is a guide:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....640#post1973640

Just bought the Cresyn E-630 for S$42 at STEREO.

Just wanna say it si not what I expected again ...

It sounds worse than my IEM that came with my Sony W800i.

BTW, it sounded louder than my stock IEM, so I was careful to match all volumes for comparisons.

Anyway, i tried everything in my books to get a better sound ...

Still, no use, inherently, it is "hollow" sounding with not much soul.

Really thin sounding ... most users will find the sound thick, but I tell you, its thin.

Sounds thick because the mid bass is very much pumped up.

The stock SONY W800i IEM are much richer and better sound wise and fit wise.

Yes, for S$42, it is good, but not that great as compared to those < S$100.

Budget wise, if u need to squeeze, can consider, else I suggest to look else where for others ...

My 2 cents worth.

PS. This comments excluded the fact the the ear pad totally disagree with my ears.

I used the Sony ear pads for all comments here, whcih is much better for MY EARS, and it brought out some of the lost bass in MY EARS.

All tests done on a upgraded parts Audigy 2 ZS and W800i HP, including W800i stock IEM and Sony EXP-71.

Edited by variablefeedback

Well, for a sub $50 canalphone, they are really not too bad. Then again, the science of audio perfection is all in the ears of the beholder.

Under $100? I'll go for a full sized or supra-aural headphone, better value for money, squeezes the most from your money at this range.